General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 01:44 AM   #16  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Angry Hello to Everyone

Hi everybody. I am floating up to right now. I just got off my elliptical machine. I did 6 miles. I came home and went straight to it. I joined this 100 mile challenge at the college I attend. As if I don't have enough on my plate ! I know. Well as I mentioned before my mom started a new weight challenge worth around $500 burckaroos. So I figured well I am going to be doing my exercise anyway might as well let it count towards something else at the same time. For every 100 miles completed you recieve a free intramural shirt. I have to complete all mileage by December 11, 2002. My mom already put in an order for her shirt. So that means I will have to get 200 miles in. I will have to add up my mileage every week. It is a club where you are on your honor to report truthfully. So the way I figure if I lie I am only lieing to myself and my scale will be the first to tell me the truth!

So anyway I am really excited about this 100 mile challenge. I know that I can do it and I will do it.

I continue to work at night and work in the day and go to my 2 classes. With the help of my husband and mom I am tending the kids as much as possible. I am still sticking to my Slim Fast. It is the easiest way to get breakfast and lunch when I am constantly on the run with very little time to spare. Snowey I am currently weighing in at 196.5. How is your WW going? I see you lost a pound that is great! Something is better than nothing and as long as that scale is going in the right direction is a great thing. Keep up the great work!

Vermontmom...OMG I could hardly see you. YOu are sooo tiny. But girl you are looking good. I thought there is no way this lady is a MOM! I could probably pass for your mom of course there would be some question as to how did you come out so light skinned with light hair with a latina mom. Just blame it on the milkman! But wow you have got to be so happy for yourself. I can't wait to be there one day.

I know I have been getting frustrated with the clothes I have been getting out of. Because I don't want to go out buy too many clothes for myself until I lose enough of the weight. So I am sorta getting lost in my clothes. It is not noticeable to many people but it is to me. Because I can feel how baggy something is when it shouldn't be. So I am going to work as hard as I can to get to 180 or 185 and then plan for a few new outfits for reaching that small goal.

Well enough said I must go jump in the shower. I have school in the morning. Take care to all. I am glad to see this thread hopping with so much activity.

Bye. Kina

Last edited by Kina; 09-10-2002 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:06 AM   #17  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default :)

Hi everyone!!

Holly - - WICKED photo!! Love the bikes in the background too!

Snowey - - Awesome result with WW. I just finished Week 1 - Day 3 and wish I had done this a year ago. Very easy and the food is fantastic too.

Hubby had a knee reconstruction 6 weeks ago because he tore something playing basketball (and skiing accidents) so he is into some rehab at the moment. Should be cleared to hit the gym in 2 weeks and is driving the car again! He does not have clearance to ride the motorbike yet, because I have enjoyed having her all to myself. We already paid for our trip to Canada for Christmas, so we are going to start the fund for the 2nd bike (along with the house deposit, Thailand 2004 and the trip the parents want to do in Tasmania with us next year, *sighs*)

How is everyone else going? It is so good to be back in a messaging routine. I really missed the enthusiasm of the group. So awesome to be back!! yay!!!

Nola.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:25 AM   #18  

Hi Everyone! I have been reading quickly every morning before the lovely cherubs come into the classrooms! So far so good, my kids are great!
VM--YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!! And even though your bod looked great, that smile on your face is the best!!!
Aphil--you are do great with what you're doing for your daughter's party! Make sure you take lots of pictures!
Alibee--you're doing so well! The hard part is to keep it all in perspective and try to eat like a thin person. Thin people had honey cake, and the next day, probably without even thinking about it, they compensated by working our more or eating less.
I have to travel to Baltimore for THursday and Friday to go to training for the new job I have, so I'll be away. I already know from past experience that I will pack my cereal for my breakfasts and some dried fruit for the afternoons. I just hope the lunch and dinner options are flexible. After I post this, I am going to the hotel's website to see if they have an exercise room. I am a morning walker. My neighbor and I are out there at 5:30 every morning (Mon - Sat). We walk for 40 minutes and it really sets up my whole day nicely. It prevents me from "blowing" a whole day because I know I've already done something good for myself. I also pat myself on the back a lot during my walk. I silently tell myself how proud I am and what a great job I'm doing!
Well, off to plan my day. I hope everyone has a great one!
Old 09-10-2002, 08:26 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi,
Silence-what you said about Vermont Mom looking better than you did at a similar weight IS due to the exercise. People can really underestimate its power, and only do an eating plan-they are only fighting HALF the battle! It is very possible for two women of the same height to wear two different sizes-the one who is more firm and fit will be about a size smaller! The other benefit to exercise is that when you get to your maintenance level, you can eat 100-200 more calories a day if you exercise frequently because you are burning more a day! Exercise is the only thing that will reshape your body-VM looks great, but only because she worked for it!
Kina-way to go signing up for that 100 mile challenge! This was the exact same thing I talked about earlier-setting up goals that have nothing to do directly with the scale, but your overall fitness level.
Skipper-I hope you find which way to keep track of your food that is easiest for you. The reason most of liek counting calories or points or Food Mover is that it gives you more freedom. There isn't any food that you cannot ever have. Plans like Atkins and Body for Life are too restrictive for me, as far as eating certain things at certain times and not ever being able to have this or that. I try to eat very healthful, with lots of fruits and veggies and low fat protein sources, but if I want chocolate-I want it. I just try to make it as low cal (or low point) as possible, so I have a Hershey's Kiss instead of a ful size candy bar! I make it last by sucking on it!We also learn to sacrifice a bit, by cutting out a snack if we want a slice of higher calorie pizza for dinner, etc. The only thing with counting is to learn to space out what you eat-some beginners can either save up most of their calories for dinner and be hungry all day, or they eat too much too soon and not have much left for dinner. Save calories painlessly so you an eat more each day by making lots of small changes-only calorie free drinks except for the occasional juice, light bread for about half of the calories, canned fruit in juice or light syrup instead of heavy-there are many ways to cut calories so you are able to eat more. I like to eat-so I cut calories in places like this so I can eat more each day.
You will also learn which foods keep you full longer for the same calories-take a slice of toast-a Tablespoon of margerine and a Tablespoon of peanut butter have the same amount of calories just about-but if you use the peanut butter on your toast, it will stick to your ribs longer and you won't be starving in a half hour-as well as getting the protein from it and not just empty calories, just like eating an apple is more filling than having a serving of apple juice. You will learn quickly.
Vermont Mom-You have boys that old? NO WAY!!!!! I from you picture, I thought you only a couple years older than me!-(I'm 26)
Woo-hoo! Alright, you have inspired me...when I am at goal weight-my pic is going up here in something sexy also!
Have a good day to everyone else, I would love to respond to all of you by name...but I am getting a wrist cramp!
Aphil

Last edited by aphil; 09-10-2002 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:41 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all

I definitely understand the exercise factor. My sister (who is 5'6") worked at a gym for a couple years and her already slim self (I'd guess about 135 and size 8) started working out. Well, disreguarding the lower weight she was at for a while (how gross), when she returned to 130lbs she now wore a size 4 and looked great. I am fully aware of the power of exercise, now if only I could convince myself that its worth it (this is a tough thing for me at the very moment I should be doing the exercise!!). Kind of like remembering that I am unhappy with my weight at the very moment I'm about to put the food into my mouth... somehow thats the exact moment that I forget it all!

Speaking of exercise, hubby finally took my Total Bodyworks back out of the closet so we could use it again. I'm not sure which exercises I can safely do on it but I figure anything that doesn't involve lying on my back or pulling/lifting too much weight should be okay. I would've assumed that working the abs might be a problem but I've read that I really should be working the abs even while preggo, just as long as I'm not lying flat on my back while working them. So, as long as its not uncomfortable to do, I figure it's probably safe. (Now just to get me on there!! )

Reguarding the calorie counting, I had that exact problem when counting calories, trouble spreading it out over the day evenly. I knew I should be limiting each seperate meal to a caloric number but it was tough some times. Blah. I probably should be counting calories now.. just adding the extra 200-300 per day I need (on top of maintainance level) and sticking to it.. because I'm sure some days I'm just going absolutely insane on the calories and I know I'll be sorry later!!

Anyways, enough rambling for now... glad to hear everyone doing well.. keep up the good work!

Christine
Old 09-10-2002, 04:34 PM   #21  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

:Hi everyone!

Kina, way to go for doing 6 MILES on your elliptical! And to do it as soon as you got home...that takes alot. But it will help so much in giving back to you - energy and stamina for your super-busy life.

200 miles sounds like alot, but I bet you can accomplish it!

Hooray for your baggy clothes!!! Do you have second-hand clothing/consignment shops around you? I found them to be a great, inexpensive way to clothe yourself in something that maybe fits a little better, while not breaking the bank. And then it's such fun to give away/dump your older, bigger clothes - GOODBYE FOREVER!

Nancy - congrats on the loss!! You are steadily going down, down, down! And the foods sound great - that's the way to do it; to be able to keep on the programwithout it "hurting".

Christine - what is a Bodyworks? Is it a home gym, like a Nautilus, or like a Bowflex? I'm sure that you can wisely listen to your body and only do exercises that do not stress/strain you.

aphil - Hi! Yes, I would love to see pictures of your daughter's party!

You are so right about identifying eating well as half the battle - the exercise is what's needed to complete the effort. I sure hope I can keep this up for the rest of my life...

'Nola - too bad about your husband's knee! Too bad he doesn't get to ride the bike (hee hee). How are you doing today? Wow, you have two amazing sounding trips planned - Thailand, and Tasmania - cool! and saving for a house, too - yes, "sigh"

Alibee - hiya! I'm afraid I don't have an answer on the calorie count of that type of pizza...but it sure sounds good But actually, as we all know, nothing should be forbidden - a slice of pizza with a big green salad would be a fine meal.

hi skipper - how's it going? Are you thinking of starting by counting calories? It might seem like alot of work at first, but you start to remember calorie counts pretty quickly. And measuring out our food is a good habit to get into; like seeing really what a cup of cooked pasta looks like, spread out on the plate; or how much a cup of breakfast cereal fills a bowl.

tryin'hard - hi! Hope you have a great training trip in Baltimore!Sure would be cool in the hotel had a pool, too!

Thanks so much for all the compliments on the pic - yes, I am a middle-aged lady of 41, but feel much younger! And the picture is flattering; can't see my wrinkles, thank goodness! (oh yes, I'm supposed to call them "laugh lines" and "smile crinkles")

Well, off to figure out what's for supper - I had better plan now, before I get too hungry to be sensible!

Big hug to all -

Your friend, Holly

Last edited by VermontMom; 09-10-2002 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:48 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Just a quick note...

Total Bodyworks is almost exactly like a Total Gym BUT, about half the price! The only thing mine is lacking that the TG has is the heel straps for certain leg exercises, but since the handles clip on, I imagine I could buy some heel straps seperately and attach them.. I haven't gotten that far yet though

Christine
Old 09-10-2002, 09:56 PM   #23  
a little eccentric! :)

Location: Wisconsin, but longing to go home to California soon!

I just bought weights to use with my Firm tapes (I love the Firm! LOVE them!) on sale! I now am the proud owner of a 3lb and 5lb set, plus 2.5lb ankle weights. I just did a workout with them and YIKES! They make things much harder. I bet I'll be feeling this tomorrow!

PS: Still love the dancing banana
Old 09-11-2002, 09:50 AM   #24  

Hi,
I was just reading about a new food, has anyone heard about it? It is called Baker's breakfast cookie-their website is www.bbcookies.com.
I am going to call and ask about hteir prices-they say they carry tehm at Safeway adn Walgren's-but we don't have either one, so I will have to order direct.
It is a health cookie, to be used as a meal replacement, or half of one as a snack. They are supposed to be extremely filling-more than traditional energy bars and meal replacements-(and with a much better taste-flavors such as pumpkin spice, chocolate chip, etc.)
I may have to try these, and if they are good-I have the perfect Christmas gift for my stepfather-the bodybuilding health nut with the sweet tooth!
I am doing good-just finished Jasmine's skirt hem and getting all the panels together-gathering and sewing it to the bodice, and putting in the zipper are all I have left!
Anyone here who is using the WW point system, could you pm me with how to calculate points? I am entering a recipe contest in WW magazine, and I need to convert the nutritional infor into points before I can enter it! Thanks a bunch!
Christine-You should be able to do all of those exercises, except for abs ones-until you have watched a few pregnancy workout videos or consulted teh lady giving the pregnancy Pilates classes, even if you aren't taking the class. My videos for that have since been given to another mom, but I know there are certain posistions you can do, and certain ones are no-no's-I wish I still had them, I'd send them to you! I only remember we did ab contractions-holding in our tummies and tightening the abs and pelvis, while on our sides,or on all fours like you are getting ready to crawl-and not a whole lot beyond that. Nothing even resembling a crunch! You could only be on your back if you were in your first trimester. You should be fine doing the leg and arm exercises with the machine inclined.
Well, everyone have a wonderful day! I know I will!
Amy-Aphil
Old 09-11-2002, 12:47 PM   #25  

Aphil~~
I use to buy the BB Cookies all the time when I was back home in Illinois. They are good and expensive anywhere from 1.49 to 1.89 a piece. The fruit and nut was the best. Each cookie counts as two servings and to eat the whole cookie it is around 200 to 250 calories, very low in fat . They are good, but can get pricey. They were good to have every once in awhile with a nice hot cup of tea.

Let me know what you think of them.

Well am off for my first WW meeting.

Ok back from my meeting..the scales have a difference of 3.8 pounds. I weighed my self on my scale at home and it showed 195 WW scales shows 198.8. SO I am just gonna change my stats and it will be like starting anew.. I am still pumped and know that I will succeed. They did not give me a goal weight. Right now they focus on 10% and then go from there
Ciao for now...

Nancy
Re-joined WW 9/11/02

198.5/???/???

Last edited by Snowey; 09-11-2002 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:26 PM   #26  
Biker Chick!

Hello everyone -

Feeling kinda sad and reflective, as I'm sure everyone else is, on this date...also because I found out that a good family friend is not recovering from breast cancer; is actually spiraling down. Her son and my older son are the same age; and have been best friends for 10 years. All I feel I can do is make some comfort food for her and her family, and visit her. I am so hoping that the prognosis I heard about her is not true (less than a month left).

Well, I shall try to count my blessings; think and pray for others; and see that the sun shines after the storm.

Your friend, Holly
Old 09-11-2002, 07:48 PM   #27  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Angry

Hi everybody ! What a wonderful day this day, considering, has become. So much has come and so much has gone and yet we have so much to be thankful for. Last night as I was showering I was aching so much from my allergies, my overstressed life, my exercise, and my job...and all that came to mind was "Thank you, God, for allowing me to feel life and letting me know that I have all these pains because i have been blessed in so many ways." I have an awful chest congested cough which reminds me that I am being given my next breath. My eyes burn because of lack of sleep which reminds me that I have a very fulfilled life with a job, kids, and a full schedule. I am exhuasted every night which reminds me that I have made every effort to squeeze every minute of time that is given to me in every day. I have my kids argueing as to who will get in the shower first which reminds me that God has a sense of humor and seriously would never give me more than I can possibly handle. And tonight I will be able to go to bed dreaming which reminds me that I should be grateful not just for the country I live in but the smaller unseeable beauties of this world...love, hope, and freedom.

Maybe a little sentimental but something I wanted to share. Along with finishing on a happier note I was laid off from my evening job so I will be spending more time at home with the family and spending more attention on my studies. Talk later.

Kina..............God Bless
Old 09-11-2002, 07:54 PM   #28  

Hi everyone,
Vermont Mom-I ahve recently been in your shoes with my grandfather in law-it is so hard for the doctor's to give a life expectancy with cancer and be exact. His initial prognosis was a year to live-and he was stubborn and lived for two years to the month of the doctor visit. He finally passed in July-as I had talked about before. Sometimes it is more, sometimes less-I hope she and her family make the most of that time.
Since your son's friends mother's expectancy is so short-I just ask that while you should be helpful, try to treat her as normally as possible when you can. Let her know you care, but my grandfather in law got upset when he was treated with kid gloves too much.
She and her family, and you and yours will be in my prayers tonight.
Snowey-they sell the BB cookies online at www.bakersbox.com for about $7.50 for 6. You can also get a larger variety of flavors directly from www.bbcookies.com-they have pumpkin spice and molasses seasonal from October-December that I want to try. It is cheaper if you buy a dozen or two, because the shipping doesn't go up much with a larger quantity. I am looking forward to trying them-it will be a great gift idea for health oriented friends and family. I will probably place an order here sometime in the next couple weeks.
I have another recipe for you all. You will have to add up the calories from the single ingredients yourself, cause it can vary depending on what brand you use, and divide that into how many servings you divvy it up into.
Pour a small can of crushed pineapple in juice in a mixing bowl. (Do not drain) Add a 4 serving size pack of sugar/fat free pistachio instant pudding powder into the pineapple and mix well. Fold in a small container of Light or Fat Free Whipped topping into the mixture, and then mix in 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Divide into individual dessert dishes or put into a rectangular Tupperware container where it will be easy to dip out a serving by eye. (1/8 of a pan for example) Chill for at least an hour. Enjoy!
Everyone have a good evening,
Aphil
Old 09-11-2002, 08:21 PM   #29  
Biker Chick!

Quick reply to Kina - you are truly inspirational! Instead on complaining about anything, you're able to see the positive...I salute you, girl!!

And thanks aphil, for the advice...I do admit I don't know how to "act" around someone that is terminally ill - but it helps to know that I should not treat them with kid gloves. I'll just do my best to let her know that I care about her.

alibee - congrats on the free weights! What a smart move to beef up your workouts. I'm sure you'll see more intense results soon!

Hi Nancy! Wow, big difference in the two scales...but smart for you to just adjust yours to show the same, and continue from there.

Hi to everyone else, and have a nice evening!

Your friend, Holly

Last edited by VermontMom; 09-12-2002 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:27 PM   #30  
a little eccentric! :)

Location: Wisconsin, but longing to go home to California soon!

Quote:
Originally posted by VermontMom
allibee - congrats on the free weights! What a smart move to beef up your workouts. I'm sure you'll see more intense results soon!
Hey, get that extra 'l' outta my name

Okay, one word: OW. I just did The Firm Cardio (crosstraining) with my weights and I can hardly stand or lift my arms. I think this is the first time I will really be feeling it tomorrow from a vid! Sweet!

I flexed my abs at my boyfriend and step-stepkid (don't ask) and they ran away in fear after touching them and feeling their rockedness. Hee.
Closed Thread