General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #91  
19Deltawifey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKasher View Post
Good morning, everyone! I just read through this thread and decided to join you all. I just joined 3FC a few weeks ago and decided to try the South Beach diet because I was just recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I had read that that diet would help since you cut out all carbs for the first 2 weeks. I have found that doing that only increases my cravings for those foods since they are "forbidden".

My husband and I have been married for 25 years and have 5 children. They are ages 22, 21, 20, 17 and 16. I am a librarian and am working on a degree in accounting. My husband and I love to geocache. It's a great way to get exercise and enjoy time together.

I started WW in June of 2007 and lost 60 pounds. I have put 10 of those back on and really want to get them back off because I was comfortable at that weight and looked best there. I just can't do WW anymore and actually think that it is what triggered the reactive hypoglycemia. I was eating all fat-free foods, which tend to have more sugar in them in order to compensate for the taste that is missing from taking the fat out. Diabetes runs in my family and I think that made me especially sensitive to all the sugar I was getting in the fat-free foods.

So to do IE I am going to have to eat a lot of small meals, mixing carbs and protein so that my blood sugar doesn't soar and then crash all the time. I think that is the way my body naturally prefers to be fed anyway. I can't stand feeling too full anymore. In fact, last night I had eaten too much in my before bed snack and didn't sleep well most of the night because I was too uncomfortable.

I read the IE book a few years ago and love the premise of listening to what my body needs and wants. My main obstacle in following it is eating slowly so that I don't eat too much and then end up too full. I was always taught to clean my plate, so I struggle with leaving food if I realize I am full. I usually do eat off of salad plates, but think I might need to downgrade to a bread plate, especially since the doctor told me to absolutely not go more than 3 or 4 hours without eating.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and be encouraged with IE by participating in this thread.
Welcome to the group

My biggest struggle was also leaving food on the plate but with practice it got easier and then also telling myself that I could finish it later also helped. We are all looking forward to reading more of your post
Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

GeoKasher Welcome and to IE. This is a great group of ladies. You will enjoy it. We look forward to getting to know you. I came from that "eat everything on your plate" group too. I'm not sure where I learned it since I don't remember my parents ever teaching me that so I must have picked it up somewhere else. Now there is just my hubby and me and I have a hard time making just enough of some foods for just 2 people. When I raised my family there were always 5 to 7 of us. When family gathered, I often cooked for up to 30 people or more. I finally decided that it was better for leftover foods that we wouldn't or couldn't use later to go down the disposal. Although that doesn't happen to often anymore, it still makes me cringe when I do it.

Not eating much today. I didn't think I over did it yesterday so not sure what happened. I don't know if I caught a virus or what but I was sick most of the night with my stomach. So I haven't been eating much today. I haven't been hungry.

Hope everyone is doing good and y'all have a great weekend.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #93  

Height: 5'3"

Smile The eat everything on you plate group

This is definetely me too. At least eat everything good on your plate. I hate leaving meat/seafood uneated especially. Expensive things that were a little hard to come by when I was learning my eating style. I have no problems leaving raw veggies on the plate for example, but when I have a huge salad, I always want to finish the protein, cheese, croutons parts.

I want to drink more water but that is not always easy for me. I found a decaf tea (sweet coconut Thaii) I thought I'd make into a pitcher for iced tea (with light real sugar) and see if that helps. I also want to limit my wine drinking to one glass with supper most nights - for a variety of reasons
bonnie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #94  

Good Morning,

Didn't make it to church this morning. Woke up and started to get dressed and my stomach was giving me fits again. Then our SIL from FL called to tell us he had taken April to the hospital at 3 am with contractions and they decided to take the baby and was waiting on the doctor. She's been 4 times in the last week to 10 days trying to make it to 35 weeks and tomorrow would have been 36. So I told him we would be here when he called back. Baby Jaxxon was born at 9:25 am. and he is 5 lbs 14 ozs a good size for early and is doing fine... didn't have to have any help breathing. He was born on his big sisters birthday. She had said in the beginning that she didn't want him born on her birthday, but I think she is so happy that he didn't spoil her birthday party Friday night that it is going to be okay. So we will be planning a trip to So. FL within a week or so.

I don't know what in the world is going on with my stomach. I thought at first it might be a virus and then I thought it was just indegistion, but now I'm not sure. I mean it can come on whether I eat or not. In fact, sometimes eating eases it and drinking anything even water causes it. Oh well, time will tell.

Y'all have a great Sunday.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #95  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie824 View Post
This is definetely me too. At least eat everything good on your plate. I hate leaving meat/seafood uneated especially. Expensive things that were a little hard to come by when I was learning my eating style. I have no problems leaving raw veggies on the plate for example, but when I have a huge salad, I always want to finish the protein, cheese, croutons parts.

I want to drink more water but that is not always easy for me. I found a decaf tea (sweet coconut Thaii) I thought I'd make into a pitcher for iced tea (with light real sugar) and see if that helps. I also want to limit my wine drinking to one glass with supper most nights - for a variety of reasons
Bonnie I was the same way and still do that with a salad. I also think it's because there have been times in my life when I didn't have much to eat or didn't know where the money was going to come from to buy food. I suddenly realized the other day that I may have developed a fear of that happening again that I didn't know I had. I may have a fear of being hungry. The fact that I had a diet doctor tell me that it was dangerous to go without eating because the stomach could try to digest itself if I didn't eat doesn't help. Who knows where these things come from. I was impressed with the fact that The Eden Diet said that it won't hurt or kill you to feel hungry. Now I have to let that thought become stronger than the other thought so I can let myself feel hunger. Of course, the way my stomach feels lately may be hunger and I think it is upset.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 191.2/138.5/129

Quote:
Same here! I don't mind leaving the lettuce, carrots, etc. but don't want to leave any of the good stuff.

Today has gone well so far. I wasn't hungry this morning but knew that I needed to eat something so my blood sugar didn't drop at church. It was my turn to run the power point for the worship service, so fainting at that point would NOT have been a good thing! So I had string cheese and 2 melba crackers for breakfast along with my coffee. I started feeling shaky right before the service, but was prepared with a packet of roasted almonds that I could eat without drawing attention to myself.

I think it's just going to be a time of trial and error to learn which combinations of food work for me and which ones don't.
GeoKasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #97  

Trish, I hope you feel better soon and congratulations on the new grandson.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #98  
19Deltawifey

Quote:
I also want to limit my wine drinking to one glass with supper most nights - for a variety of reasons
I need to limit vodka but when the weekends come its hard not to drink.

Patty- I'm so happy your grandson is at a good weight for being born early and that he didn't need oxygen. I hope your feeling better soon.

Geokasher- I'm guilty of letting my blood sugar get to low sometimes and it usually hits me when I'm in the grocery store. I try to keep a nutrigrain bar in my purse just in case.

Last edited by 19Deltawifey; 04-18-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #99  
Once and for all believer

Height: 5'5''

Hello ladies and welcome to all the new members!

Trish, congratulation on your new grandson!!!

I haven't posted in a while now. Last time I did, I decided I was just kind of lurk in here but I am really trying to get my mind off food issues and just enjoy and relax.

For those of you who are new: I first heard of IE (without that name, though) when I saw Paul McKenna's show on tv a couple of years ago. At that moment, I was already going through some mental changes and when I heard him I was like "yes, that's it, this is what's happening to me. This guy is SO right!" But then i went back home to living with my mom, and going to all my full-of-food family reunions and it's hard to do IE. About a year ago I moved to the US and got married to my beautiful DH and ever since then I've been doing IE (with ups and downs, of course).

So, I survived my first year of marriage without gaining any weight and I am feeling really good about my body. I've never had that much weight to lose, but I've always struggled with my weight and specially with the fear of gaining weight and the whole diet mentality.

So anyway, for many months now I've been noticing I have terrible acid reflux and stomach bloating (to the point where I look like I'm 7 months pregnant and my belly is super hard... I've mentioned it here before). So I finally decided that I am not making these symtomps up and I've been paying a lot of attention to what I eat. Right now my two culprits seem to be dairy and/or wheat. After doing a lot of research, I found that an average of 70% of adults are lactose or wheat intolerant. And they usually come hand by hand.

So, for a few days now I've been trying to eat wheat-free and milk-free (not easy =S) and I will make an appointment with a doctor.

Yesterday, I had some semi-dark chocolate and got an awful headache. Today I had some cheese and my belly has been hurting like crazy since 8 in the morning (it's now 5:22 pm...)... =S I haven't eaten anything since this morning, I can't.

On Wednesday, I'm traveling back home for a month. I haven't seen my family since December '08, when I moved to the US. I am super excited! I feel strong and confident anough about my IE that I know I won't change my eating habits when I'm there, even though I may struggle a bit more. The whole dairy/wheat situations has me a bit more concern than IE. I come from a huge Italian family and meals without bread AND pasta are unheard of! But I'll manage

Last edited by ALO22; 04-18-2010 at 05:28 PM.
ALO22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #100  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Welcome GeoKasher

Carol Thanks for all the insight. I know that one day I will get to the point where I can have half a candy bar and be satisfied, I just need to take baby steps and not try and tackle all my negative habits at one time. Right now I am working on breaking my addiction to the scale. So far 1 week with no weigh in, one more week to go, it has not been easy, but so far so good. God Bless. Tammy
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #101  
19Deltawifey

Catholic-good job on going this long without getting on the scale, I know how hard it is to break the habit.

Well we ordered Red Lobster today and I enjoyed every single bite but I did over do it a little but I'm a eastern shore girl who loves seafood and has been stuck in the mid west for 6 years now. I Love seafood.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #102  

Hi Carly. I used to like Red Lobster until they started grilling everything. I like my lobster steamed. You can still get a whole lobster that way but that's the only thing. I tried something new last night. I wasn't hungry after 3 pm so I didn't eat. And I survived. ha!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #103  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Carly I love seafood too! My neighbor went fishin and caught a red fish and speckeled trout and had to go on a job, well the wife came over and told Donald he could have the fish, so he baked some last night and will have some tomorrow, and I have a few crabs left over from the other day that I need to peel and freeze for when we make a seafood gumbo.

I am on opposite "shifts" from all of you, when you are on the computer I'm at work and when I'm on the computer you are all off. Oh, well, at least we cand still keep in touch.

Have a blessed evening. Tammy
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #104  
19Deltawifey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCajun View Post
Carly I love seafood too! My neighbor went fishin and caught a red fish and speckeled trout and had to go on a job, well the wife came over and told Donald he could have the fish, so he baked some last night and will have some tomorrow, and I have a few crabs left over from the other day that I need to peel and freeze for when we make a seafood gumbo.

I am on opposite "shifts" from all of you, when you are on the computer I'm at work and when I'm on the computer you are all off. Oh, well, at least we cand still keep in touch.

Have a blessed evening. Tammy
I don't think I have ever eaten trout but it sounds really good. I love crabs also, I'm from Maryland and love blue crabs, king crabs any crabs. I tired of catfish but if its seasoned right then will eat it. I even ate frog legs before and it was gross ugh but hey I will try anything once lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Quote:
I also want to limit my wine drinking to one glass with supper most nights - for a variety of reasons
Red wine and I are very good friends , who share special bond, but I decided do not have a drop from Monday to Friday, because every time I have a glass my appetite increases and I am craving for Parmesan cheese with grapes …and then before I know I overeat.
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote