General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 11:40 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 330/327/250

Height: 5'5

Default I'm In

Well, Spurred on by all of your great success stories, I went out and bought the book. I read through it yesterday and am starting the plan tomorrow(Saturday). I have to do my shopping tonight and get what I dont already have. I'm very excited about this program. I used to do a regular juice fast for about 2 weeks to clean out my system. It was tough and this seems to give the same benefit without the denial of food.

I see too that I really need to finally give up smoking. So starting tomorrow. I'm starting both. I really wanna get this weight off for good and feel good too.

Question? Have any of you bought the mini trampoline and added that into your plan. Also, I try to get some regular weight training in and would like to continue doing so throught phase 1. Is this totally prohibited?

Keep up the good work. I'll let you all know how its going on my end.

Sarah
Old 08-16-2002, 11:48 AM   #32  

Sil thank you for the info. I am on the waiting list at the libary for the book. You are doing really great. Hang in there.
Well day one is over on to day two. This is quite the challenge. I am craving something but have no idea what.

DEE
Old 08-16-2002, 02:08 PM   #33  
GARDENING ADDICT

WELCOME SARAH Come on and join us and we can learn together. Good for you on putting away those nasty cigarettes. That is the No.1 best thing that you can do for yourself , and this is coming from a cardiac intervention nurse. I know that it can be difficult but you can do it!!!

I have not bought the mini-trampoline yet. I have heard that a small rebounder works just as well. At iVillage someone said that www.walmart.com sells them for $20. I might check that out because I was doing jumping jacks and my joints don't like it. I also like to lift light weights and this should not be a problem. According to the book , she suggests against getting more than 2 hours of strenuous activity per day (pg,89). So I think that most of us will be OK in that regard

I'm getting prepared for the weekend. I work every weekend and I take my food with me. So on Friday afternoons I like to get things ready: eggs are boiled, meatballs/salmon/chicken breasts are cooked, veggies cut and some are cooked. And everything has a DO NOT TOUCH post-it on my portions. There's nothing worse than working 13 hrs, drive home for 45 minutes and then open the fridge and DH has eaten all of your allowed food and left only the stuff that he can eat I think that he learned his lesson after last weekend. I was PMS'ing and it wasn't a pretty sight
~~~Sil
Old 08-16-2002, 02:17 PM   #34  
GO CANES!

Sil. that is just too funny.
Sarah. Definitely quit smoking .. i finally did it last ocotber, and dont miss it at all...it's a little hard at first, but SO WORTH IT
Old 08-16-2002, 04:14 PM   #35  
Slimwithin

Sil, thanks for the tip about scraping the residue from the bottom of the flaxseed oil. I have to admit the yellow color kinda turned me off.
I have started FF today and so far I'm SLOSHING. I thought I drank a lot on Atkins but this is a DELUGE! I don't know if I can keep up.
I couldn't get Stevia Plus. Just not available here at all, so I got the regular kind in little packets.
I made a Blueberry Smoothie for my breakfast today and then a half grapefruit for mid-morning snack. That's more fruit than I've had in two months of Atkins and it has probably knocked me right out of ketosis. But, I guess I can't have everything.
I had my weigh-in this morning and was only down 1 lb, and that was on strict Atkins. I sure hope this FF gets me jump started.
Nice to read the encouraging post by Ramona. If I had results like that I think I could put up with just about anything.

BTW, there is no way I'm going to buy a mini trampoline. I just sold the one I had a couple of years ago. I've had bladder repair surgery and bouncing does not do it any good. I will stick with my water exercises and hopefully, I will soon have my recumbant bike up and running and I will try to get a regular routine going on it. Between those and regular gardening chores, I'm hoping that will do the trick.
Do you think the author of FFP has a share in the mini-trampoline company?
She's also dead set against pork of any kind. She talks about the disgusting parasites in the meat, etc, but I doubt if pork is any worse for that than any other meat. I think it's possibly just a personal prejudice on her part so I will not omit the occasional pork stir fry or chop from my menu.
Some of the menu suggestions seem a bit fussy for everyday. I seldom cook a lunch, for example. So, most likely I'll be sticking to meat and salad of some kind, just changing my salad dressing to include flax seed oil.
Well, I'm off to make some lunch now. I sure hope I'm doing this right.
I think it's great that everyone is so helpful. I need all the tips I can get.
BTW, I have the book but which soup recipe is the best?
Old 08-16-2002, 04:38 PM   #36  

Hey Linda glad that you started today.
Sil your so funy.
Gee I sure am missing my sweets....decafe coffee too.
I would like to make the protein and fruit shake,can anyone tell me what kind of protein powder I need? What does it taste like?
Thanks again.
DEE
Old 08-16-2002, 04:42 PM   #37  

Oh yes there is one more thing. i remember reading thet yo should be doing 20-30 minutes of exercise a day. I like to exercise 1-2 hours a day and don't want to give it up. I think I read on the board some where that you need to add something if you are doing more exercise.....anyone remember that?
DEE
Old 08-16-2002, 06:43 PM   #38  
GARDENING ADDICT

Dee~~~I'm still experimenting with the low-carb protein powders myself. I used to use Myoplex Lite when I was doing Body For Life. So, this is still new to me. I also know that some of these products can be hard to find in Canada and shipping costa are expensive. You might ask these questions over at iVillage, on the FF message board.

OK, here are my thoughts on caffeine,aspartamine, etc. I know that the FFplan is to flush out the fat and toxins in our body. And as a nurse, I'm all for trying to have a healthier body. I have just recently started taking a medication that is very hard on the liver, so I'm doing this diet in the hopes of losing some fat and keeping my liver healthy.
That being said, I also do not believe that a little bit of caffeine or aspartamine put this fat on my body and I don't believe that having alittle will keep the fat from falling off.

In other words, I still have my cup (or 2) of coffee in the morning , then my hot lemon water. I only have a diet coke with my dinner on Thursdays (my free day). If I get a sweet craving once in awhile, I'll have a low-carb protein bar or some SF jello. As long as I stick to the basics of the FF and LC diets I think I'll be fine.
Now, if I can just find an acceptable substitute for popcorn and tortilla chips I'd be in heaven

And IMO, any exercise is better than no exercise.
Boy, I couldn't say these things over at iVillage. Thanks for leting me keep it real and honest.
~~~Sil

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 08-16-2002 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:50 PM   #39  
GARDENING ADDICT

Linda~~~What protein powder do you use and does it taste good? Also, don't forget that we only get 2 servings of fruit a day, so if you add fruit to your smoothie that counts as one serving.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:54 PM   #40  
Slimwithin

Oh darn! So I've screwed up already and only in day one!!
You know I totally forgot about the berries in the fruit smoothie and not only had the 1/2 grapefruit at mid-morning but a small apple in mid-afternoon. Oh well, back to the old drawing board.

Sil, I just got plain Whey Protein powder in a little plastic bag at my local health food store. It was near the bulk food section and I assumed the store packaged it themselves. I saw the HUGE tins (and I mean HUGE) of designer flavored protein powders but I thought I'd try the basics first and see if I could choke it down. Well, mixed with the frozen berries I could hardly tell there was anything in the shake except berries and liquid except there was a creamy texture that was rather pleasant and I'm assuming that was the whey. Certainly NOT like soy powder which, IMHO, is totally gross and disgusting.

Talking about things not available in Canada, I have to wonder whether the author of the book lives on another planet but I guess it's just the U.S.A. where everything is available. I was reading further in her book and notice that she has great long lists of recommended organic brand names. Well, sorry, but none of those brands is available in my part of the world so I guess I will just have to make do with normal, contaminated, impure products like the rest of the population.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:29 PM   #41  
GARDENING ADDICT

OK ladies. This thread is closed. Please come and post on the new week's thread~Fat Flush Week of Aug.19.

See ya all there
~~~Sil
Closed Thread