General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #1  

Default counting calories vs. counting carbs

Just wondering for those of you have tried calorie counting and low carb diets if you found one to be more effective than the other. I seem to lose a little faster with low carb but feel more satisfied counting cals (after I adjust to the low calorie intake) because I can just try to fit in a food I want within my calorie allowance. I think having this lattitude will up my chances of getting the weight off permanently.
jeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Both are effective for weight loss for some people if followed correctly. I personally calorie count, because it is important to me to be able to fit in any food I want to eat. I do watch refined carbs, though, to minimize blood sugar spiking and resultant hunger.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I've tried both calorie counting and low-carb diets. I did Atkins three years ago or so and while I did lose weight, I felt generally unsatisfied. I just couldn't wrap my head around the diet...the things I thought for sure I could eat that were considered no-no's, especially.

I love calorie counting. Like you said, you can eat the things you want as long as you fit them into your calorie count for the day. I also avoid the "bad" carbs though.

Everyone is different, but calorie counting is for me!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I`ve been calorie-counting for so long, and it never made me slim - at least, not for long.

I`ve now got to my goal size by simply omitting carbs at night. And it really did feel simple - no feelings of deprivation, whatsoever.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #5  
Low carber :)

S/C/G: 223/212/size 6

Height: 64 inches

I guess it depends on what you like to eat and if you have issues that make low carb more feasible or low calorie . I personally have a love affair with beef and eggs, a big appetite and diabetes so LC it is for me.

I once tried calorie counting and many low cal starchy type foods sent my bg through the roof and I was so hungry. Also I think some of it is mental ( at least for me) Just thinking I need to eat low cal makes me hungry. I could very well be eating low cal by doing low carb and not know it because I don't count.
thinnerbyjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I started on the calorie counting when I started losing weight for 3 months. Then I went onto the Atkin's diet for another 3 months. I lost 36 lbs all together.
Since getting pregnant, I'm doing both. I mainly stay away from baked goods and sugars. But I don't pass up a good fudge and ice cream dessert once in a great while, if I get the craving for it.
I stay away from the things that make me feel hypoglycemic, which include. pancakes, pastries, pastas, and white rice.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

For my personal health issues low carb is better for me. My insulin issues make it a better choice for me overall.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Howdy,
I lost successfully with SB. However, when I had almost gained all the weight back, I wanted a more fundemental measure for what my body was doing which is why I have chosen calorie counting.

I still use many of the techniques from SB, so it isn't all or nothing for me. Peanuts for snack but only 5 for 25 calories.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I lost 30 lbs in about 6 months on South Beach. I probably would have lost fast had I been eating MORE and exercising less. I learned a lot about nutrition and I use the same principles with calorie counting. I try to stay away from refined carbs, but it's lovely not to have to restrict them.

I like calorie counting because nothing is off limits. I can eat anything which is helpful when eating out or at someone else's house. If my cupboards are bare, which they often are (I hate grocery shopping), I can still find something within my plan.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I do better (not only with weight loss, but also in terms of symptom relief from some of my health isses, and energy level...) on lower carb eating. Counting carbs isn't enough, because I can overeat low carb foods to the point that they stall my weight loss.

Personally, I love to use an exchange plan. I can choose the carbohydrate level, and the calorie level and can even adjust either or both, quite easily.

People often criticise exchange plans because they're "too high in carbs," but that's an unfair assessment, because while many of the commercial exchange plans include a high number of high carb exchanges, there's no reason you can't tweak an exchange plan to be low carb (or any level of carb).

The hillbilly housewife lists exchange plan breakdowns for for three carb-levels, and four calorie levels, but you can experiment and tweak it - say you want to add another serving of fruit, and subtract a bread serving (or countless other variations).

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/foodplans.htm
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/173/140

Height: 5"5'

I do calorie counting, but have tried Atkins. While I was on Atkins, I was often left with the unsatisfied feeling, as if my stomach was never full. I was constantly in the kitchen looking for something to eat. I feel with calorie counting I am able to watch and keep track of everything I eat so I know how much I eat per day and what I need to burn off.

I've also been staying away from sugars (except for those that occur naturally). I try and keep it around 15-20g per day. Once you start counting sugar grams too... there are so many things that need to be limited! Some Lean Cuisines have 11g of sugar!

Everyone is different so whatever works for you, stick with it!
Sara81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #12  

thanks for all the replies. I too loved Atkins and enjoyed most of the food but after multiple attempts I always fell of the plan because of that never completely satisfied feeling. I have been adding veggie soups and ezekial bread lately and feel much more satisfied. My new complaint though is gas which I have NONE of when eating low carb. I hope it just my body adapting to having grains but it is at times very uncomfortable.
jeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

jeanies- I was having some gas problems and the probiotic (sp) yogurt has helped.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote