General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #1  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Default Reconciling conflicting plans - hubby and I.

I count calories, and try and avoid too many carbs. I'm not strictly a carb counter, but I mostly steer clear of bread, pasta, that sort of thing.

Hubby has kidney disease leading to failure. At his last doctors appointment last week, he was advised to start a high carb, low protein diet to try and slow down his rate of deterioration. No arguments please, studies from the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins have said this can help. So it's what we're going to do.

My question is, what the heck do we eat? I don't want to cook separate meals, but I can't see any way around it. The only thing we have in common is fruit and veges, and he's pretty fussy about his veges. I want high protein, he's restricted to 40g per day. I prefer limited carbs, he needs to have large amounts to get his energy needs for the day in.

Anyone else in a similar situation, or can think of any way around this? Help?
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is unique but I am sure it can be done.You get a larger serving of protein and he gets a larger serving of carbs. It will take a little planning but will be worth it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I think it can be done. I do carb free at night and he loves his carbs to feel satisfied.

For example, when he wants pasta or rice, we`ll make the sauce separately. He`ll have it with pasta and I`ll have it with a bit of protein and extra veg in it.

Vegetables is something you can both eat, so you can cook a nice vegetable dish for both of you and then add simple carbs (pasta, rice, bread) for him and a bit of protein for yourself.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 AM   #4  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

From experience I definitely think this can be done.

Create three dishes, a vegetable based main and a protein side for yourself and a carb heavy side for him. (Example. Salad with chicken, salad with pasta). For lunches you could have a low carb wrap with deli meat and veggies and he could have a sandwich with the same thing (or with just cheese). Breakfast will require some creativity, I recommend oatmeal for him and eggs or w/e you fancy that morning.

Overall its really about being versatile, and picking dishes that satisfy many facets. You could always try to keep his protein WAY down for the main part of the day and then that would allow him some of your high protein dish for the evening.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote