100 lb xmas

• Have any of you ever lost 100 lbs in less than a year?...I am in no rush but would love to not have this body next xmas...and was just currious? I know LOTS of people have lost 100 plus pounds here...did it take you a year? 2 years? 6 months? Did you work out everyday? Never cheat on your diet?...What does it take to lose 100lbs?
  • It took me 7 months to lose 100 pounds, but keep in mind I have a lot to lose! I don't work out every day. I walk a lot though. I don't cheat, but I do work in treats occasionally that don't send me over my calorie target. You can do it. It's all about commitment, not letting anything get in your way, and never making excuses for your behavior. If I go off plan, I own it and I get right back on. The only times I've eaten more than my calorie allotment since I started were Thanksgiving dinner, one party, and Christmas dinner. Each time, I didn't overdo the rest of the day and I got right back on the horse the next day. Good luck!
  • thats really good advice...very inspirational! I think thats the hardest when I mess up on my diet i go over board...cuz i already messed up! I need to think like you and just get right back on track!
  • Welcome to the forum! I lost 100lbs this year (took me about 8-9 months) of course I was a bit over 300lbs so it was easier shedding those initial pounds. I started my weight loss by strictly focusing on food issues (I was an emotional eater/overeater). I made a fairly drastic change and cut out all junk food, processed foods, high fat foods, sodas/juice, ... and began eating 'healthy' foods (lots of fruit and vegetables, whole wheat products, lean meats, some fish). It took me several weeks to get my food issues under control to the point where overeating and cravings were rare. By eating healthy alone (no increase in daily exercise) I lost nearly 50 lbs. Of course I wasn't perfect in my eating, but over time my slips have become less frequent and less 'bad' (the last time I overate it was on salad).

Once food was under control and no longer an issue, I began to incorporate more exercise into my daily routine. I started small (10 minute walks) and slowly am building up to hopefully being able to run a 5k this summer.

Everyone's weight loss journey is different and what works for one doesn't for another. For my journey I've been trying to focus on changing one area at a time, because if I make too many changes all at once I'll get overwhelmed and will quit. I also have learned to accept that I'm not perfect and I will have slips now and then. I try to keep past mistakes in the past and focus on the future.

You just need to find what's right for you and your lifestyle. Best of luck on your journey!
  • I lost my first 100 pounds in 9 1/2 months and a total of 122 pounds in a little less than a year (and have kept it off for more than seven years, which is the important thing!)

I was/am a calorie counter and started out at around your weight and 1600 calories. If I plateaued, I just dropped my calories by 100 and kept going. It ended up being around 1200-1300 calories for the last six months of my weight loss. It was essential for me to combine calorie counting with an emphasis on whole foods and protein, to get as much nutritional "bang for my buck" as possible. No 100 calorie packs or cheat meals for me.

I also became an avid exerciser (me, a lifelong couch potato?) and think that had a lot to do with both my speed of weight loss and being able to keep it off for so long. I started out lifting weights from Day One of my weight loss and know that it was essential for maintaining my muscle mass as I lost fat. I also did daily cardio and both are still habits that help me keep the weight off.

So my formula was really simple: counting calories + cardio + weightlifting. I didn't follow anyone else's plan and it didn't cost me a penny, aside from a gym membership.

In the end, it doesn't matter how fast we lose. All that matters is that we don't gain it back! It's fun losing 100 pounds in a year, but even if you only lose 15 pounds in the next year, those 15 pounds are precious and you want to guard that loss carefully. The time of weight loss is the time you're going to be preparing yourself to keep the weight off for the rest of your life. You'll be putting together your tool box of skills and strategies for lifelong maintenance -- because what you do to lose the weight will be what you do every day for the rest of your life to keep it off.

I daresay we've all lost many -- perhaps hundreds? -- of pounds, only to gain them back. This time is different! This time is about keeping the weight off and in the end, the speed doesn't make any difference at all. My best advice is to keep your eye on the prize -- being fit and healthy for the rest of your life -- and let the weight loss take it's own time.

(This has been a public service message from your Maintainers forum moderator )

We're glad you're here and look forward to sharing your journey with you!
  • Quote: Everyone's weight loss journey is different and what works for one doesn't for another. For my journey I've been trying to focus on changing one area at a time, because if I make too many changes all at once I'll get overwhelmed and will quit. I also have learned to accept that I'm not perfect and I will have slips now and then. I try to keep past mistakes in the past and focus on the future.

You just need to find what's right for you and your lifestyle.
    This is sage advice. I think that trying to focus on losing 100 lbs can be overwhelming. Baby steps--and forgiveness. These two things are so important for this journey. I wish you the best!
  • I totally agree its all about not gaining it back...and making the change in life!
  • CLCSC145, Gracie789, and Meg- thanks for posting. I needed some inspiration today. It can be done.

• You're welcome to come hang out with us in the 100lb. Club. Lots of people doing what you want to do! And we've got a 2010 Weight Loss Challenge too that could help you stay on track.

And absolutely break it down into little chunks. I have so many little milestones I've aimed for (and am aiming for) that I rarely get bored. My next one is reaching my 4th 10% goal 0.4 pounds to go) then reaching an overweight BMI (2.4 pounds away) then 120 pounds lost (4.8 pounds away). Looking at at the full amount felt super daunting at first until I started to feel successful reaching each tiny milestone, which were never more than 5 pounds apart.
  • Good luck with your goal!!