Gluten and Obesity

• Yep...there is a connection. There are many websites about gluten intolerance/allergy and celiac disease. These things can cause alot of different symptoms. One thing that it can cause is weight gain. You are addicted to carbs (yikes) but you aren't getting the nutrients from them so you eat more cause your body tells you to...then guess what? You gain weight. The leaky gut as it is known...causes toxins in your body and slows your metabolism.

Google celiac and symptoms and see if you have the symptoms. I am not a doctor and I have not even been tested for this but I do believe I have it. I am just trying to follow a gluten-free diet and I do feel better. It's a healthy diet anyway so it doesn't hurt.

If you feel bloated and get a "Buddha belly" (grins) after eating breads, cereal, etc...then you could be gluten intolerant. Also, a tired, sleepy feeling.

Dr. Oz also did a show recently with Elisabeth Hasselbeck from the view and it had some good info about gluten...but there is more info out there.

I just thought I would mention this.. LIke I said.. I'm just going on a "gut" feeling (no pun intended) hehe! that I dont handle gluten well and thought that someone else may have similar symptoms and would want to research this for themselves. I plan to see a doc about this but have to get through the Holidays and some other stuff first.... have a great day fellow chicks and guys!
  • I've quit most grains this week to see if it helps me. I've read threads on other forums where people said that they didn't start losing weight until they quit grains. I did get a test for wheat allergy and I do have a slight allergy. I also quit sugar this week. It was painful going through the grocery store yesterday and having to read every ingredient and figure out what I can have.
  • Certain things bother me but other things don't. I eat a fair amount of whole grains. If I eat white bread though, I feel bloated and icky.
  • Wendy...there are lots of websites that are helpful.... celiac.org is one that has good info and good recipes. Wheat allergy testing is different from celiac testing. I'm still on the fence about actually seeing a doc about it as most docs dont believe that people who are overweight could have celiac...also the testing isnt always accurate as the biopsy can be taken an area that isnt affected... The blood test has to show the antibodies and some people dont make antibodies but still have celiac. The only treatment for it is to avoid gluten anyway. Sugar is ok to have on a gluten-free diet....but for weight loss I see where you would want to limit it.

Nelie....if you have problems with gluten...it could be doing damage even if you dont have symptoms....but it could something else in the white bread causing you to feel that way.

All of this can get so complicated. I just read about it alot and I am still learning. Gluten is "hidden" in many things too. Lots of foods use wheat as a "filler" to save cost. Goodness.....its like a science trying to figure it all out. But, feeling better is important to me. Gonna keep working at it lol
  • I lose better without grains, and I do seem to have some sort of wheat or gluten allergy/sensitivity. I've found that wheat aggravates several health issues.

I don't know if it's gluten, or specifically wheat that causes the problem. For now, I'm eliminating both. Whether or not it's caused or contributed to my obesity, I'm not as sure of.
  • Kaplods..if you lose better by eliminating wheat then it is possible you have a gluten intolerance. Our bodies have a hard time breaking down the protein in the gluten. I'm glad more companies are starting to label their products about gluten but it would be a lot easier if they all did...whew...it isn't the easiest thing to figure out sometimes.
  • Funny thing is I actually eat gluten on purpose and it doesn't cause me any issues. Seitan/Wheat meat is something I include semi-regularly in my diet and it is mostly the gluten extracted from wheat and cooked the right way, has a 'meaty' texture. Bread though, I don't know why. Perhaps it is the yeast?
  • its very possible you have a reaction to the yeast or it could just be the texture and how it is digested. guess its always best to stay away from those things that make us feel all bloated or like I like to call the "Buddha belly" hehe! I certainly dont need anything adding to my figure!
  • gluten free for years and still fat here