General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/136/128

Height: 5'6

Default How would you handle this??

Tomorrow night, I'm going to dinner with a bunch of friends (mostly guys) that I see about once a month or so (one of them being a guy I'm interested in...) Anyway, I went to college with them (i'm now 24, two years out of school) when I was at my highest weight, and since then I've lost about 30 lbs... I've seen them recently so I won't look much different since then, but we're going to dinner and as I try to eat low carb, I've already scoped out the menu to see what I wanted to order. It's traditional pub food, so needless to say, I will be getting the only semi-healthy item on the menu (veggie burger and salad)...Here's my issue... It's noticeable enough that I've lost weight, but I'm kind of embarrassed tomorrow to go to dinner and order a veggie burger and salad (and probable leave the bun on my plate) b/c to me it just screams "i know i'm overweight and i'm on a diet." Esp. in front of a bunch of 24 year old males... Am I crazy?? Does anybody ever feel this way?
alexandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Are these the kind of guys that will notice? I know I don't usually notice what other people with me are eating when we go out, unless we strike up a conversation.

And hey, it's probably going to come across as sexy and in control if you are just really cool and confident with it. Being healthy is attractive and it might even draw their attention to the weight you have lost. The alternative is to pig out in front of them which we know wouldn't be attractive, right?

As long as you don't order a 5 pound burger....and a DIET coke (emphasis on the diet), you're good. That always baffles me. Lol.

Good luck girl...have fun!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #3  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

Perhaps instead of leaving the bun sitting on the plate order the veggie burger without a bun.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #4  

Thanks for the responses ladies!

Thicknpretty: It's funny you asked if they were the type of guys to notice... that never crossed my mind! Because you're right - I don't notice too much what other people order, and if they ask for a special request (i.e. no bun, dressing on the side, etc.) it just goes in one ear and out the other! And these are a bunch of 24 year old men, pretty sure the last thing on their mind is my eating habits... And I agree with you about that whole "eat a huge burger with a DIET coke thing" - although, I can't say I've never been guilty of it....
Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Smile Balancing Omega-3's and Omega-6's

Good luck this evening, alexandraT -

One approach would be to be ready should anyone say anything with,
"Just balancing my Omega-3's and Omega-6's. If you want the full lecture, stay after class and I'll tell you how to live to be 100."
Guaranteed that no one will stay "after class" and you've given them the handle to comment on why they don't want to live to be 100.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #6  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Asking for trouble...maybe one will want to stay "after class"

I agree with the above posters...don't make a big deal out of it. If you just oder it like you order the same thing anyway, most people won't notice or care.. obviously you know what you want to eat.

You don't have to order then feel obligated to explain yourself to your friends right after. They might ask, just tell them the truth..."I'm watching what I put in my body" ect..and leave it at that.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #7  

So just wanted to update everyone... it turned out that only 4 of the friends could get there for dinner, 3 of them being woman (and the one man being married)... and i thought it was interesting, NO woman commented on what i ordered, but my guy friend did. He's a pretty close guy friend, so it doesn't bother me, and again, he's married, so there's not romantic feelings there, but AS SOON as i ordered it he goes "woah someones going to the gym and doesn't want to undo all the good." granted, i had just finished telling them how much i love my new gym, so it wasn't totally out of the blue, and he said it in a kidding manner. but still, the second my order came out of my mouth he said something, and then i left the bun on the plate he kind of chuckled and rolled his eyes at that.. either way, it didn't really bother me b/c he is a good friend who i feel comfortable talking to, but i thought it was pretty amusing that yes, he definitely noticed.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Before:201 Now:178 Goal: 150

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThicknPretty View Post

As long as you don't order a 5 pound burger....and a DIET coke (emphasis on the diet), you're good. That always baffles me. Lol.
I always order a diet coke no matter what i'm eating (unless i order a water). I will never, EVER drink my calories, and it's the kind of attitude like, "i've already gotten that big burger and ruined it, why not get a regular coke, too" that has gotten me to where I am now. I think we all know that every little bit can count!

also...i prefer diet coke...lol that helps too
VarsityQuidditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #9  

I have felt like this in certain situations .. but lets be honest. The boys will most likely not even notice or will be impressed with the healthy choices you make!
crazyaboutgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #10  
banned

^^Some men wants women who can really eat while others appreciate those who are in control. Those who knows what they want and how to get it.
mort20 is offline   Reply With Quote