Sugar vs. sugar free

• Hello,

Most times after eating I crave something sweet. I'm thinking a hard candy would do the trick for me. Was wandering if it would be better to have a S/F candy than a regular sugar candy or should I just ride out the craving? I have heard that SF is not always good as it makes you crave the real thing more.

Thanks!
    gwen
  • I decided I wanted to deal with sweets up front, so I gave up sweeteners, and just limit the real sugar to once a week. My sweet tooth went down, and even a year later, still is going down. Fruit totally satisfies my sweet tooth, or a small square of dark chocolate. The only time I have trouble resisting dessert or candy is when it's already there in front of me - but I hardly ever feel an impulse to go buy it or make it.

But everyone's different. I just didn't want to feel like I was fighting sugar and my sweet tooth all the time.
  • what about a piece of fruit like grapes, a small plum, or half an orange sectioned? It's sweet but you get a daily fruit serving and much more nutrition than a piece of hard candy. Or (if you can handle just one) a small piece of dark (not milk) chocolate that you nibble.

I also like a half cup of berries with just a spoon of FF Cool whip. Or SF jello with diced fruit. You can mix a can of fruit cocktail (in juice not syrup) in with a container of FF Cool Whip. Spread in a small pan, freeze and cut a small square for dessert. Very tasty and low cal.