General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #16  
Intuitive Eater

Welcome ljd! Good to have you aboard! This is definitely a good place to build a better relationship with food! Have you read the IE book? There's a ton of good info in there to help rebuild the food relationship.

Hi Becky, good to see you again.
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #17  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

My goodness, we have a lot of new posters! all!

I'm doing okay, feeling for some reason really physically uncomfortable today. Dunno what that's about. I've noticed that lately I've also been at the "okay I've had my time with play foods, now I'm over it and want healthy foods" stage. Hoping this helps me be more physically comfortable, honestly, because right now I'm pretty miserable! I find it hard to believe my body really wants to settle right here, because I'm so darned uncomfortable!!

But anyway. That's my little fit.

I'm rushing around and working on one heck of a to-do list, I just wanted to stop by and greet our newbies.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, I just set here and wrote a long message and when I hit submit, I got thrown off of the page and lost it. Sorry guys too tired to redo it tonight. I will write y'all tomorrow.

I got my Callanetics dvd yesterday and did it for the first time today. I can see why she recommends doing only 2 or 3 days a week. I know I will only get 2 days in this week and may do only 2 days until January. Depends on how I do. It is usually hard for me to get up and down from the floor, but I was surprised and pleased at how well I did. Of course, you modify each exercise according to when you start to feel the stretch and as time goes by I should be able to do more and more. I believe it will be good for my back and hope it will be good for the knees.

I will do catch up tomorrow. Goodnight.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #19  

That sounds really interesting, Trish. I think I'll look into it.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #20  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Blue, I'm sorry they didn't have the Fage kind. I tried some other kinds and I didn't like them. You might need something to sweeten it or it might not be as good to you. Sorry if led you astray.

Welcome, ljd I'm relatively new here myself.

Hi, Becky, nice to meet you.

sidhe, hope you feel better soon.

Trish, I will look that up. I need something to do.

We had Thanksgiving lunch today at my son's school, and I did awesome! I'm feeling so much better these days (at least, with regards to food), that I think I can handle anything. Thanksgiving -- bring it on!!!

lol I just want to thank all of you again! Your support has got me here.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 229/229/170

Height: 5' 9"

PATTY GIRL: OMG I am soo excited you are trying callenetics i have done them and they are amazing!!
HI there i just tripped onto this thread and love it!!! i have lurked around 3fc for some time now. i have a couple questions tho,
What is the ie book? where could i get it?
what is CAD?
sorry if these are silly q's lol.
thanks so much!!!!
sweetpetite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #22  
Once and for all believer

Height: 5'5''

Hey, SP12! I'm brand new here too but I know the answer to one of your questions! heheh: IE = Intuitive Eating, by Tribole and Resch. It's in my amazon cart already, just waiting for me to add a few more book and place the order =D

So, yesterday I got Maggie Miller's book. I was a bit bummed when I noticed I had paid 10 dollars for an e-book that's only 64 pages long... but, oh well... I rather enjoyed it. It was nice to see someone who has the same ideas I've been having for 2 years now, but hers are way more organized. I can't even begginf to describe how liberating finding this thread was!

So yesterday I went to the gym and I enjoyed myself so much! I didn't look at the calories burnt, I just enjoy being just me and my body. And after the gym, I treated myself to a night out with my husband. i dressed all pretty and we went to this great restaurant and I had a wonderful meal and I stopped when I got full! And when i went to bed last night and this morning when I woke up, I felt no guilt whatsoever about my meal ^_^
ALO22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #23  
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCandEs View Post
Blue, I'm sorry they didn't have the Fage kind. I tried some other kinds and I didn't like them. You might need something to sweeten it or it might not be as good to you. Sorry if led you astray.
Oh, no, not at all! Thanks for the suggestion! The brand I ended up with is Oikos. What I love about it is how thick and creamy it is even tho it is fat-free! I'm amazed at that because usually ff yogurt is lacking creaminess. So the texture is awesome to me. On the other hand tho, the flavor did need intensifying and sweetening for my taste. I added a splash of vanilla and a packet of splenda and it was quite enjoyable after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpetite12 View Post
What is the ie book? where could i get it?
what is CAD?
sorry if these are silly q's lol.
thanks so much!!!!
Welcome sweetpetite! The IE book is Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch. Click the link in my signature for more info. It should be availabile in most bookstores and libraries. CAD is a book called The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet by the Hellers. Not silly questions at all! We're glad to have you here!

Hi to everyone I missed! (I'm shootin thru quick today!)

Have a great one!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #24  
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALO22 View Post
Hey, SP12! I'm brand new here too but I know the answer to one of your questions! heheh: IE = Intuitive Eating, by Tribole and Resch. It's in my amazon cart already, just waiting for me to add a few more book and place the order =D

So, yesterday I got Maggie Miller's book. I was a bit bummed when I noticed I had paid 10 dollars for an e-book that's only 64 pages long... but, oh well... I rather enjoyed it. It was nice to see someone who has the same ideas I've been having for 2 years now, but hers are way more organized. I can't even begginf to describe how liberating finding this thread was!

So yesterday I went to the gym and I enjoyed myself so much! I didn't look at the calories burnt, I just enjoy being just me and my body. And after the gym, I treated myself to a night out with my husband. i dressed all pretty and we went to this great restaurant and I had a wonderful meal and I stopped when I got full! And when i went to bed last night and this morning when I woke up, I felt no guilt whatsoever about my meal ^_^
Hi ALO, looks like we were replying to sweetpetite at the same time. LOL.

Just wanted to say, real quick, that it sounds like you had a terrific day yesterday!

You mentioned going to the gym and not worrying about calories while working out. That is sooooo important and something we haven't really discussed a whole lot in here: Exercising for the joy of it (not the "necessity" of it). That will go a long way in the long run! Keep up the good work!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #25  
Once and for all believer

Height: 5'5''

So, I'm trying not to obsess over not being obessed! (does that even make sense?). Anyway, I'm still at that point in which I still feel the need to read a lot about IE (which I don't want to turn into an obsession).

So, I found this article (I can't post links yet). Hope you enjoy it! =D -- And sorry it's such a long post.

They seem to eat more than you, yet you're overweight and they effortlessly fit into size 8 jeans. Just how do slim people do it? You assume their irritatingly ideal BMI (Body Mass Index) is due to an accelerated metabolic rate, thin genes or some secret diet they haven't told you about. When, in fact, there is no mystery about how the slim keep their weight under control. Genetics and health certainly play a part, but it's a person's habits that tip the scales in the weight-loss stakes. Look closely and you'll find that most slim people have a simple set of seven lifestyle habits that keep the excess kilos away.
HABIT ONE: SLIM PEOPLE DON'T DIET
That's because dieting makes you fat, miserable and obsessive. Dieting sends your body into famine mode. Reduced kilojoule intake sends a message to your brain that starvation could be imminent. Your body responds to the threat by lowering your metabolic rate. That means you're not burning kilojoules as efficiently as before. The result — it's easier for you to put on weight and harder to get it off.

HABIT TWO: SLIM PEOPLE EAT JUNK
Yes, most slim people indulge in the occasional hamburger with the works, dessert and chocolate. That doesn't mean they eat a whole family block every day, but they know the occasional piece isn't going to cause any damage. Exerting huge amounts of willpower trying to resist a banned food usually makes you more obsessive — eventually craving it. The end result is usually a binge. Instead of banning certain foods try telling yourself, "chocolate once in a while is okay and isn't going to cause any problems". This kind of self-talk says I'm watching what I eat but I'm not depriving myself either.

HABIT THREE: SLIM PEOPLE DON'T BINGE
As a general rule, most people in their healthy weight range tend to stop eating, even though they love their food as much as you do, once they feel the edge has been taken off their hunger. They realise they can always have more later — when they're hungry. Try it. Learn to eat when you're hungry and stop when the edge has been taken off your hunger. If you want to eat everything in one go — stop and remind yourself you can eat again when you're hungry. Most people get hunger signals every three or four hours.

HABIT FOUR: SLIM PEOPLE AREN'T OBSESSED
It's not normal to think about food morning, noon and night. Yet this is what most people with a weight problem do — and slim people don't. You need to become comfortable with food again. A good place to start is to only think about what you're going to eat when you get hungry. Work out what you're going to have — eat it — and then forget about it. Get out of the habit of analysing your food. Don't count fat grams or kilojoules. If you're tempted, just remind yourself that food is just energy and doesn't require analysis. Then when you have finished eating, get back into whatever it was you were doing before.

HABIT FIVE: SLIM PEOPLE DON'T ABUSE FOOD
A lot of people use food to help them deal with emotional problems. If you think you might be an emotional overeater you need to uncover which emotions trigger a splurge. Ask yourself next time you're going to binge what you're really feeling. Are you angry, stressed, down? Once you know why you overeat you can then focus on constructive ways to resolve your problems once and for all.

HABIT SIX: SLIM PEOPLE EXERCISE
Research shows that today's increase in obesity is due to our sedentary lifestyles. Cars, lifts, elevators, office work are largely to blame. You need to counteract the negative effects your lifestyle might be having on your body. Walk instead of driving. Use the stairs instead of the elevator or lift and spend an afternoon walking around the shops. Just think the next time you use the Internet to buy your groceries that shopping burns 84 kilojoules every 10 minutes.

HABIT SEVEN: SLIM PEOPLE ENJOY THEIR LIFE
For a lot of slim people, eating well and getting plenty of exercise is a way of life. If they're putting on weight they don't suddenly claim, "Today I'm starting a new diet" and make it as far as lunchtime before giving up. Most slim people don't believe the latest fad diet or wonder weight loss pill has the answers to staying in shape. To regulate your body weight a series of lifestyle habits has to be created to support health and weight loss.
ALO22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
So, yesterday I got Maggie Miller's book. I was a bit bummed when I noticed I had paid 10 dollars for an e-book that's only 64 pages long... but, oh well... I rather enjoyed it. It was nice to see someone who has the same ideas I've been having for 2 years now, but hers are way more organized.
I've been curious to read her book. I don't think I realized it was quite that short. But then again, a lot of books are longer just because they say the same thing over and over again and spend a lot of text "selling" you their ideas.

Quote:
I can't even begginf to describe how liberating finding this thread was!
I know what you mean

Quote:
That is just perfect, isn't it?

Quote:
So, I'm trying not to obsess over not being obessed! (does that even make sense?).
LOL, that idea comes up from time to time. I think it's like any new thing - you take a while to digest and incorporate it. I just go with the flow.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #27  

I tred to post a catchup yesterday and again lost my message so I'll just check in today and see what happens.

ljd and sweetpetite12 Glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you.

Blue It does seem like we're on the same page again.

Quote:
Becky wroteI haven't read this thread for quite awhile. I have three sisters who are all dieting to lose weight, and they roped me into it too, but of course diets don't work once you know better. They just drive you nuts.

Trying to do Spark People/calorie counting with them has not been helpful to me, even though they're doing well with it.

I need to stick to my way of not focusing on food, not trying to be on any kind of "diet" or "eating plan", but eating less and paying attention to whether or not I'm eating mindlessly.

My goal for this winter is to keep losing a tiny bit at a time, but if that can't happen, at least don't gain.
Becky I had the same type of situation too. I let someone talk me into trying something else with them. Since I am aware of IE, I just can't seem to follow a weight loss diet plan. Then I tried to make CAD and IE a combo thing, but ever since I made that decision all I can do is IE. So I am just rolling with IE.

ALO22 Thanks for the article. Lots of good stuff in there. DH DD is thin and I can tell you that I've observed these in her. I am going to print it out as a reminder.

Well, I need to go do my Callanetics. Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #28  

The Callanetics has gotten me motivated. The fact that I can get up and down from the floor (with a little bit of a struggle) made me feel good about myself and to realize that this 66 yr old gal can make a come back. I didn't know how to work the dvd in living room, but decided to learn how. You know these men and their electronic toys. DH has more buttons you have to push to get things going. Decided that when Bill was living that I had to learn how to do all that stuff cause he was a cop and gone all the time. So I can do it now. We are the ones who decide we cannot do certain things. I think we have to tell the body what it is going to do not the other way around. Remember the last thing Tony's Mother told us before she died was, "Kids, don't ever get to the place that you think of yourself as being old". I think that is good advice. Any way, I got up this morning got the living room dvd working and did my 30 minute "Sweatin' to the Oldies" exercise. I kept thinking I don't have to do the whole thing. I can quit if I need to. I ended up doing the whole thing. Actually was able to do the floor part and got up without holding on to a chair. I am so excited about this. There was a time years ago when I had the tape that I did that tape 6 days a week. I think I can do it 4 days for now or at least 3 to go along with my 2 days of Callanetics.

Y'all have a great week end everybody!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 229/229/170

Height: 5' 9"

hi there everyone!
Does any one else track what they eat and when?
I have started doing that for the last week or so and i highlight all the bad food i eat. i got so excited the first day there was no highlights!
and i have been listening to my body so much more lately. I am out of town visiting so we are eating out alot and i had a hot beef meal. Afterwards i felt like crap... not mentally but physically. my body is starting to crave good and whole foods. i love this approach, i have always been a yo yo dieter and due to that i am at my highest weight now... well i could go on and on, just wanted to drop in and say hi, and let you guys know where i am at....
ps
PATTYGIRL: you are inpiring me to start doing callanetics again!!! thanks!!!

Last edited by sweetpetite12; 11-21-2009 at 01:49 PM.
sweetpetite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpetite12 View Post
hi there everyone!
Does any one else track what they eat and when?
I have started doing that for the last week or so and i highlight all the bad food i eat. i got so excited the first day there was no highlights!
and i have been listening to my body so much more lately. I am out of town visiting so we are eating out alot and i had a hot beef meal. Afterwards i felt like crap... not mentally but physically. my body is starting to crave good and whole foods. i love this approach, i have always been a yo yo dieter and due to that i am at my highest weight now... well i could go on and on, just wanted to drop in and say hi, and let you guys know where i am at....
ps
PATTYGIRL: you are inpiring me to start doing callanetics again!!! thanks!!!
Because I've done so much "dieting" in the past, the minute I start tracking my food, diet head kicks in and starts messing with me. One of my sisters that's dieting is all excited about putting her foods into Spark People every day. I did it for a week or two, but HATED it. I find that the more I observe/notice/record what I'm eating, the worse I do.

The same thing would happen if I started categorizing foods as "good" or "bad". I'd feel like I was on a diet, and it would cause me to start eating all kinds of stuff.

I find I do better the less I focus on WHAT I'm eating.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote