General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #46  
I Really Want To Lose 50

S/C/G: 229/179/150

Hey Vdotson

I have not tried the FS only the EFS and it always works for me. I don't think I could withstand the detox period for the FS.
Equinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #47  
Jan11661

S/C/G: 193.6/181.6/138

Height: 5'4

Hi Ladies,

Happy Weekend! So far so good with the Friday night "junk fest" around here between my husband, my daughter and her friend! Cookies, chips, and leftover Halloween candy all over the place!

The other night I made the recipe on here for the Sugar Free Apple Cobbler. I make cobblers the regular way for the family all the time. However, sinced I used fresh apples (as opposed to sugary canned) and sweetener instead of real sugar, I didn't get any rave reviews. I felt it was better the next day and beyond.

I ate my portion with 2 teaspoons of non fat vanilla yogurt, not too bad. I know I am doing this for a GOOD reason, so I was satisfied with it.... and I'm still getting my "sweets" in! When I was craving something salty, a handful of Roasted Garbanzo Beans-Yum!

Here's wishing you all a weekend of healthy eating & smart choices!

Jan
jan11661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #48  
Jan11661

Default FS vs EFS Diet

Vdotson and anyone who may be interested in the difference between the FS and EFS Diets. I found this on a thread from Suzanne, one of the 3FC's:

Fat Smash vs Extreme Fat Smash (extreme nutshell version)

This is an extreme nutshell version of the plans. Hopefully it will be enough to let you know which book you should purchase for the remaining details

Fat Smash Diet
Designed for weight loss no matter how much or how little you need to lose
Consists of 4 phases
Phase 1 - Detox, lasts 9 days
Phase 2 - Foundation, lasts 3 weeks
Phase 3 - Construction, lasts 4 weeks
Phase 4 - The Temple - Life
Allows all fruits and vegetables, except white potatoes and avocados.
Phase 1 is vegetarian and allows limited grains and dairy.
Phases 2 - 4 gradually add additional food choices, including meats and occasional sweets.
If followed as written, the diet balanced and contains around 1300 calories per day, according to my calculations.
You'll eat 4 or 5 times per day.
Exercise: Recommends a variety of exercises suggesting 30 min per day 5 days per week to start, and gradually increasing it each phase.
FYI- This book lacks many details and has caused a lot of confusion among dieters.

Extreme Fat Smash
Designed for people that have 10 to 25 pounds to lose
Consists of 3 Cycles, plus maintenance
Each cycle lasts 1 week, and 3 cycles = 1 rotation.
Repeat rotations as necessary until you reach goal. Then follow the maintenance guidelines.
Food choices are more specific this time. You will eat foods which are low on the Glycemic Index. For example, you cannot eat bananas, watermelon, or pineapple because they are high GI, despite being low in calories and fat free. You'll also be encouraged to eat foods higher in fiber and protein.
Averages 800 to 1000 calories per day, according to the sample menus we checked. We assume this is why it is for people with few pounds to lose, because it would not be healthy to follow long term.
You'll eat every 3 hours.

Exercise: Requires intense exercise, usually about an hour a day.
This version seems to be more detailed, apparently avoiding most of the confusion that resulted from the first book.

Both books include recipes.

Hope this helps!

Jan

Last edited by jan11661; 11-08-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #49  
I Really Want To Lose 50

Goodmorning ladies,

Thanks jan for posting FS vs EFS
Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 203/200/160

Height: 5' 6"

I have been keeping quiet because I wasn't really sticking to FS to the letter, more adapting it! I have been following during the day, but maybe having chicken at night. One night last week I had a Lean Cuisine meal because I just didn't have time to prepare anything else. We always go out at the weekend so I kind of factored that in too. I have been exercising at least 30 minutes a day. Good news - I am down 5 pounds since last monday! I am feeling much better all ready, way less bloated and my skin is looking great. I think I should be able to carry on with my adapted version! Hope you guys are all doing good too..
Clockaleanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #51  
Jan11661

Good Morning Ladies,

Clockaleanie,

Glad to hear that your adapted version of the FS Phase 1 is paying off! Congratulations on your 5 lb loss so far.

Hi Equinata,
Does that "in a nutshell version" seem to be accurate? It said it came directly from one of the Fat Chicks/Editor so I figured it would be close. Hope you had a good weekend and stayed on track!

Vdotson,
How was your weekend? Did you stay on track?

I stayed on track and didn't cheat all weekend but I have to say I have not exercised since last week (other than playing Wii with my daughter!) I know this will play a factor in my continued weight loss (or not). I did however spend more than an hour sweating trying to prop my fence up in the back yard that almost got blown down by the fierce winds here the last couple of days! Got that hurricane Ida heading past the West coast of Florida and it's kicking up some major winds over on here on the East Coast! Batten down the hatches! No big deal here, really. Hope it's not heading to any of you.

Ok, time to get productive around my house here. Hope you all have a good day. Check with ya later!

Jan

Last edited by jan11661; 11-09-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #52  
I Really Want To Lose 50

Jan,

That was the jist of it between the two diets. I stayed on track all weekend and am officialy on cycle 2 of the diet and had a 5lb loss for the first week. I set to do two workouts 5 days this week with the first being set at 5AM bless my heart. I'm trying so hard this time. I plan to sign up for a bootcamp class come January to get some more guidance on my workouts as I am a pretty active person who has been battling this weight loss thing for some years. I can truly say that I've come a long way from when I first started my battle at 250lbs, but lord knows I want to break into the 190's and pray this week will do it! Sad but true that two years ago I weighed 188lb after my first touch with the EFS, but I had two pregnancies since that ended in misscarriages. Me and hubby decided to wait before trying again so back to the faithful BC's and weight loss.

How did the rest of you ladies do this weekend?

Last edited by Equinata; 11-09-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #53  
Jan11661

That's wonderful Equinata, congratulations on your 5 lb weight loss!

Thanks for giving the "ok" to what I posted regarding the difference on the FS and EFS Diets. I only know the original and you the EFS so between us I was hoping we could say it's fairly accurate.

Now I am curious, do you have the book? If so, does it state that it's suppose to be for those wishing to lose a smaller amount of weight? I suppose like any diet, if it works for you, then it's a good diet! Is this the continued diet you have used to lose the weight so far? I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your pregnancies. Once you are healthy enough to handle it I'm sure you will be blessed again.

Good for you for working out twice a day, that's my downfall. Also for wanting to sign up for a bootcamp...I hear they kick your butt! I was layed off my my job a few weeks ago so unfortunately any working out needs to be done right here at home....and I don't have any machines. I know where there a will, there is a way though...I just have to do it!

You are doing great, keep up the good progress!

Jan

Last edited by jan11661; 11-09-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #54  
I Really Want To Lose 50

It's wonderful when we can almost go back and forth in real time. LOL Yes, I do have the book and it does not say it is for those who only need to loose a smaller amount of weight. It is just a more straight to the point teach you a lesson diet. For me it is more about planning ahead and teaching me what foods are better for my body and diet type. I have been using this diet only, but understand that during those times of pregnancy I did away with the diet thing all together. I'm a carb girl, but have learned that I do not have to always have the pasta or white rice. This diet has taught me to make better choices. Now we only buy whole wheat pasta for home cooking and brown rice and for all of you carb lovers this makes a big difference for us. I've learned that water is my best friend. Now I can't even drink a soda without having bad gas. My husband will tell you that my cooking has been enlightened since you have to be creative to not get bored with it and no, I am not the cookbook type. I will take a cheat day after the entire rotation before starting cycle 1 again and when I reach my goal I will have to stay in the maintenance phase. I have come to the understanding that I will have to get some kind of excerise for the rest of my life and it will help me live longer I'm sure.

Thanks for all the encouragement Jan... I am trying so hard.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #55  
Jan11661

Equinata,

Do you know if there is a food tracker/journal on here? Anyone??? I used to be with Sparkpeople and so I have continued to go into that website, toggling back and forth with this one just to input my intake. I know we don't have to but I like to see what I am consuming just the same and see if I am having a "high" calorie day, a "low" calorie day, how I felt when I ate those things that particular day, was I still hungry or did I stay satisfied with my choices. You guys get the idea.

Yes I do like that we are able to share our stories and of ourselves via this website. I am having a tough time getting the family on board with the whole wheat pastas and brown rice. Even when I was dieting another way before and introduced those they ate it but continually complained...that's a using a nice word!

I am going to continue to try on this original Fat Smash at least a few weeks and see how things go. If I find once I get past Thanksgiving and feel I need to change it up a bit, then I will either invest in the EFS book or see if I can get a copy at the library.

From what you have read as to the types and amounts of foods we can have on the FS, do you feel that you have a better variety & more or less quanity of foods?

Speaking of food, I am hungry and ready for lunch. Catch ya later.

Jan
Old 11-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #56  
I Really Want To Lose 50

Jan I do not know how to navigate this site yet, sorry I csnt help you there. You guys may have a variety as your menu is not set, but the EFS menu is set with guidelines ofcourse. This works for me as I do not have to guess when meal planning and I really don't have to give up much when it comes to food groups. I will try to list my menu for today when I get back to my PC. I'm mobile at this moment and it will take forever on this tiny blackberry.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #57  
I Really Want To Lose 50

Hello Ladies,

Here is my menu for today on the EFS, so you can get an idea of how they are set up.
Breakfast
1 cup of cold cereal with low-fat, fat free, or soy milk (Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Puffed Wheat, Shredded Wheat, All-Brain, and similar cereals are recommended) No presweetened cereals
1 piece of any type of fruit OR 1 cup of freshly squeezed fruit or vegetable juice

Meal #2
1 small salad (optional: 1 chopped hard boiled egg)

Meal#3
1 serving of vegetables
1 cup of boiled brown rice

Meal#4
1/2 cup of beans, chickpeas, or lentils
1 serving of vegetalbe
1/2 cup boiled brown rice

The diet allows two snacks in every meal plan if you would like to have a snack they must be 100 calories or less.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #58  
Jan11661

Equinata,

Thank you for the idea of what a day of EFS is like. That menu at least sounds like something I could work with. I'll have to go to the bookstore or library this weekend and read over the book.

I worked with my brother-in-law today, he lives in Connecticut but has work here in FL a few times a year. I was wondering how I would be if we went to lunch. Well good news is that I didn't have to find out because we were too busy. By the time we stopped at a store on the way home, he got a sandwhich and I got a bag of pre-cut apples. I also had packed water and a yogurt so that saved me from starvation mode....or at least from getting too dizzy and passing out!

I was really hungry when I got home but stayed focused and on track. I made a salad, some brown rice spaghetti (questionable still in this phase), and light made eggplant "parmesean"....without the parmesean!

Tomorrow is my Mom's birthday and her husband, myself, and my daughter are taking her out to lunch, this will be a big test. Then since my brother-in-law is leaving on Thursday he is taking us out to dinner tomorrow night! The only thing I have to say is that I am glad today is my last day of Phase 1 and I can at least have a little lean meat while out. I was going to continue on Phase 1 for another 9 days but I'll just have to take tomorrow off, be good, and start back on Thursday.

OK I have given you TMI for one day. Hope you all had a nice day and stayed on track. For those that started on the 2nd, tomorrow is weigh in day!
Good Luck to All!

Last edited by jan11661; 11-10-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #59  
I Really Want To Lose 50

Hello Ladies,

Jan it's good to hear you were able to stick to it. It is always good to know where you are going before going out to eat this way you can look over the menu and make your choice ahead of time. Be sure to tell the waiter to please forget the bread basket.... LOL or at least put it far away from you as possible.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #60  
Jan11661

Default End Of Phase 1 Weigh In

Hi Ladies,

Hope you all did well on your first phase of FS or EFS. I weighed in and was down another 1.8 lbs. This gives me a total of 4.6 for the total phase of 9 days, however, I only exercised for 3 out of those 9 days.

I'm taking today off and adding some lean meats just since I am going out to eat today to celebrate my Mom's birthday. I will watch what I am ordering and the way it is cooked though!

Tomorrow I am repeating the detox phase and am going to try to be more determined in getting at least 30 minutes of exercise in at least 7 of those next 9 days. You know me, chatty cathy, I'll be reporting in.

Good Luck on your weigh in's.

Jan

Last edited by jan11661; 11-11-2009 at 10:47 AM.