Doin' It the Old Fashioned Way #12

You're on Page 1 of 13
Go to
  • Welcome!

We are a group who are getting fit by counting calories, fat grams, WW points, Food Mover, or whatever sensible strategy works for you. We also exercise (walking, jogging, tae-bo, aerobics, yoga, weights, roller-blading, picking up/running after children ) and know the benefits of drinking lots of water.

We also know the power of group motivation and support. Please join in, or just lurk if you're shy!
  • Good morning, everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend! I am still on my quest to loose the last couple of pounds before vacation in two weeks. I had a great weekend--lots of physical activity! Have I told you guys that I love roller blading?? Yesterday I did 13 miles. Does anyone know how it compares with walking? I know walking about 30 minutes uses up about 150 calories, but I have no idea about roller blading!
    Well, I hope you all have a great day! DOn't forget to tell yourself you're doing a great job--don't wait for someone else to do it--you may be waiting awhile!
  • Good morning everyone!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. We've had an amazing long stretch of nice weather - no rain for about a week. But it hasn't been too warm, so the plants aren't suffering from want of water.

Thanks you Nancy, for the 'cycle enouragement! I have today and tomorrow off, but I will "gear up" for a ride after I get my duties at home done. And thanks for the pounds off encouragement, too! I am amazed at how it's really become routine. I am hoping it lasts!

Kina, that is a super idea about getting your salad all prepared ahead of time. Being prepared for a meal makes it so much easier to stay "in the boundaries". Your kids go back to school already? My son's school starts the last week of August.

tryin'hard, your meal idea sounded so good! Is your tummy nice and tanned by now? Do you have a lake near you, or a beach?

jacklyn, hi! Glad your mini-vacay was inspiring. And you start the home business venture this week, correct? We wish you the best success!

hi kewi! How are things with you?

We sure miss our regulars whom we haven't heard from. Let's put out another plea for them to say hi!

Aphil, Sprite, Kanola, Christine, Latisia and Melisa - hope you ladies are just busy having summer fun! Say hello to us!

Oh! this is funny. I am finally at the weight that is on my driver's license!

Have a great day!

Your friend, Holly
  • Good evening
    Hello to everyone....

Tryin'hard~~~ You are amazing with the rollerblading..What an excellant way to burn calories. You are sure to have that weight off by vacation.

Holly~~~Hope you are enjoying your days off from work and putting some miles on the cycle!

We are still working on the bedroom and that should be done by the end of the week (I hope) I am thinking that the color may not really be what I want. So after we get one wall painted Ill step back and take a good look. ..as of right now I am thinking it may be a color that a Circus clown would wear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bruce took it back to the store and told them that he thought the formula was not right as it did not match the color chip...so they added some more of the darker tint...so now its a wait and see thing...

I had another good day of eating healthy!! Even though its that TOM ,, I managed to ignore my cravings and before you knew they were gone.
    Tommorow is a dentist visit for me...So that will take care of my mouth for awhile...hmmm, just think if I could visit the dentist everyday for a month I could lose about 15 pounds...yeah I know that is drastic,,,,, as it is I have appts scheduled all the way till the end of October..

Well,,, got laundry to finish...so hope everyone has a good night and a awesome tomorrow......sleep tight...

Nancy
  • Good evening all!

tryin'hard - that is AWESOME - rollerblading that distance! I'm sure it rates up there as a calorie-burner, as it is both aerobic and uses the large muscle groups. don't you feel like a kid again?

Nancy - I hope your bedroom paint color can be corrected from the circus shade! I admire anyone who has the energy and sense of style to re-do their home - I have absolutely no sense of interior decorating.

I hope that your future dentist visits are painless and peaceful. And BIG congrats to you on resisting the dreaded PMS cravings!

Kina and kewi - hi ladies! Hope you're doing well!

I went kayaking for the first time yesterday! And it was SO great not to automatically think up of an excuse to say no, because of not wanting to be in public in a swimsuit. I just went and had a great time! and that, my friends, is GREAT!

Well, I'm going to "gear up" for a ride! Talk to you tomorrow, I hope!

Your friend, Holly
    176/152/150?
  • Hello everyone! Holly first of all congrats on your loss! You are doing such a great job!! It is a nice feeling not to have to come up with excuses to wear a swim suit. I still feel self conscious in mine but it doesn't even compare to that sick feeling I used to get if I even thought I would have to wear one in public.

I've been pretty busy lately but am still reading posts. I am actually getting ready to take a walk....something I have neglected to do for a while. Good luck to everyone and tryin' hard I'm pulling for ya....I bet you'll hit your goal in a couple of weeks! Hello to everyone else! Oh yeah, Nancy I feel your pain on the painting. My husband bought a house before we even met and still live in it. He painted the master bedroom a color called "Ox Blood Red"......the name says it all.....no repeated trips to the paint store can fix that......have a good one!
  • I just wanted to say a quick hi to everyone, I h ave relocated form tx to va, It was quite a drive, had lost a few pounds, but im all into these boxes, etc, I hope all is well, and I will be posting more!

My Mom has diabetes, and I am trying to get her on this plan, I f she loses about 50, she can possibly get off insulin. That would really be great for her, Well, TTFN and much more later!
  • Hi All
    Welcome back T-girl,

Very good to hear that you made it safely from Texas to Virginia! And very good at even losing more pounds. So glad to have you back.

I went to join WW today. And guess what ????the center here is closed for the summer. They wont reopen till September 11th. I cant beleive this. I feel as I live in a one horse town. We never had summer closures when I was going to WW in Ilinois.
    This has really bummed me today as I was looking forward to doing this today.
    I am at the point where I feel as If I need to be held accountable for myself and by going to the meetings I knew I would have to be weighed every week. And also It would be at least a 3 month commitment. As at this local WW you have to buy 10 weeks at once.
    My mood is horrible today...even the hubby is staying away from me.
    UGH what do I do now??????????

Nancy
  • Hello everyone!

First, Hi T-Girl!!! Glad to hear from you! A big move like that must have been stressful. I hope you're happier in VA. It would be great if your mom could be off insulin. Does she have access to a computer? Would she enjoy talking to us?

Nancy, oh how disappointed you must have been, to put your hopes into the WW meeting for support, and then to find them closed! That stinks. Isn't there a WW thread here somewhere? I know it's not the same...what a bummer.

I'm sure your disappointment is great right now; but hopefully tomorrow you'll feel a little better about it.

jacklyn - thanks for the hurrah! Yes, I'm not TOTALLY non-self-conscious, but it's so much better than before. Oh my, Ox Blood Red - doesn't sound very restful for a bedroom

tryin'hard - how are you doing? Closer to the vacation each day...

Well, my motorcycle news for the day is that, if the outside temperature is 55 in the morning, that means a COLD ride at 50 mph! I have to find my winter gloves, and layer another sweater under my leather jacket. But I am enjoying it! I had to go slow through a construction site, and saw the guys nudging each other and glancing over at my shiny machine...makes me feel like a youngster again!

Have a great evening, and a super tomorrow!

Your friend, Holly
    176/152/150?
  • Hi everyone. I hadn't been posting for a while. The kids are back in school so I have been busy keeping myself out of the house or busy. It's lonely when the kids are gone which means more time on my hands to keep stuffing food into my mouth. LOL Lord knows I don't need that. But I have been doing quite well I have to say.

Actually I have recieved a compliment finally from DH! I was too excited about that. Also I was unrecognized by the secretary at the college I attend and also work part time at. If you can follow that sentence that is amazing it was pretty shabby. I am sure you get the point. Anyway I went over to the college to register and I was standing sideways when the secretary was approaching me and she says "Hello, can I help you?" I turn to her and I say "Hi, it's me!" She was like "Wow, I didn't recognize you." Not that my weight loss is that noticeable I think it had just been a while. So then she says "Are you losing weight?" and I say "YES! Thank you for noticing!" I felt so good all over.

Well the messages from me may become far and few for a while. With the kids being in school means I will start working part time and then in September I start back to school myself. But I will check every chance I can get.

I was very happy to see all the positive vibe in here. talk later.
    kina
  • Hello everyone! Well I am actually happy to say that I have been able to stick with my program this week. I had to go back to work so I have been getting up at 5:30 to do some yoga or some sort of exercise and my husband and I have been walking in the evenings. After working at my "real" job all day I have been coming home and working on our home business to get that up and running. Needless to say, I have had little time to wander into the kitchen out of boredom, which has been my biggest problem in the past. So hopefully I am FINALLY getting back on track...FOR GOOD!!

Nancy~ I'm sorry to hear about the WW situation. Who would of thought that they would shut down?? It seems to me the summer would be when people are the most motivated...with the threat of the swimsuit and all

Well I better get back to work....hope everyone has a wonderful day!
  • Hi everyone!

Kina, congratulations on the compliment from that person!! That must have made you feel SO good. There's something to think of when your mood is low or when the munchies attack.

jacklyn, you must be really busy with the "real" job and then starting your own business at home. I agree that there is nothing like being super-busy and preoccupied to help not think about food. Yikes, now THAT was a poorly-constructed sentence!

Hi Nancy! How are you today? we're all bummed for you about being disappointed about the WW meetings cancelled 'for the summer'. That's so dopey. Well, I know you have it in you to do it on your own! (with a little help from us friends!)

Some evil person brought a bag of Doritos in the house...I know that I can't always ignore snack food but it's sure harder when it's in your own kitchen! I should make husband and kid eat the chips outside, where I can't smell or hear them crunching

Have a great night!

Your friend, Holly
    176/152/150?
  • Hi all! I don't have a lot of time, but wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts!
    Ox Blood Red--I know it and love it well--on my front door, that is! You crack me up!
    I have roller bladed 56 miles since Sunday and boy, can I tell a difference in my body already! I feel so strong and efficient! Well, I"m off to visit a friend whose town in hosting a hot air balloon festival this weekend! Make it a good one, every body!
  • Hello everyone, thank you for the welcomes,,, My Mom does have access to a computer, and she probably would like to join from time to time. We are working on this,, since she has been on insulin, he weight went up, and stayed there, for 3 years, So i really want to work on this with her . I am doing ok, have to get my car checked today, It started overheating yesterday. I am going to talk to you all later, I was extremely stressed coming here, but do enjoy it here more than texas. well the part I was in didnt have too many things to do, just a bunch of restaurants. Where I am at now, has more activities. Take care everyone, do your thang!! I will TTYL.
  • Welcome T-girl. Weight loss is the best way to improve your health. It is even better when you can work together as a team. My family has a weight loss challenge going. So a lot of my family members are involved we support each other and compete with each other. We are working towards a bank worth $750 bucks. Whoever loses the most on September 1 wins. I don't think I will win but that is okay. I just want to come out of the weight challenge weighing less than what I went in with on June 1. I think my dad is going to win he has the advantage of having a toothache. So he doesn't care to eat on account of the pain. The old ME would have said "Well I already lost what is the point!" But nope I am still working at. At this point my goal is to get as close to 190 by September 1 when we weigh in for the last time. I am so close today I am at 202.5 which feels so great. Well enough about me.

What are you doing to lose the weight?

Talk more later. kina