General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 02:05 PM   #106  

Hi everyone,,

Jacklyn ~~~ watch out for those dogs!!! You need to carry something that you can defend your self with in case that happens again. Let us know what the Fat Flush is all about .

Kina~~You are a busy woman, how long will you be working two jobs? You are going to wear yourself out !

Aphil~~You are the Julia Child of our group., Thanks for the recipes!!

Tryinhard~~ I read somewhere once that you can actually burn more calories at that TOM so with you being busy cleaning house you are doing just that!!

Week # 3 completed on WW and I have been 100 percent
I weighed yesterday morning and lost 1.5 pound and then yesterday afternoon the TOM decided to rear its ugly head
So I am hoping next weeks weigh in will be really good!!!!
My goal is to average 2 pounds a week. That would be 42 pounds by Christmas if I can do it.

Bruce went out fishing on the ocean yesterday with his friend. So that meant fresh crab. I cooked them and removed all the crab meat and refrigerated it. Tonight I am trying the Maryland Crabcake recipe from WW. I hope it is as good as it sounds.
It really is fun experimenting with new recipes.

The dentist visit went good yesterday. 3 needles in the gums and my mouth did not thaw out until 2 30 in the afternoon. Can you imagine how funny it is to put lipstick on your lips and not be able to feel yourself doing it? I thought it was going to end up all the way up to my eyebrows.

Well gotta run, I hope everyone has a great day and keep on smiling!!!

Nancy
203.5/197.5/???

PS: Hello to the MIA'S also...

Last edited by Snowey; 08-20-2002 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:17 PM   #107  

Nancy-- I was laughing out loud thinking of you putting lipstick on--it's a good thing you didn't go to the eye doctor and get your eyes dilated, too!!!
COngrats on your 1.5 pounds! Can't you just imagine what 1.5 pounds of butter looks like and know that's disappeared from your body! Good for you!!!
THanks for the TOM info. I certainly feel like I'm burning more calories running around this classroom throwing stuff away and organizing what's left!
Hope everyone is having a super day! Read youin the morning!
Old 08-20-2002, 04:21 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

jacklyn-is the Fat Flush plan the one where you are eating foods so low in calories that your body burns most of them digesting the food? If that is the plan I am thinking of-it is pretty low in protein and calcium-and while I do not agree with high protein/low carb diets at all-not having near enough protein will cause muscle loss as well as the benefit of keeping your blood sugar levels steady. If you are eating enough servings of fruits and vegetables in your diet-you will be getting some of this effect anyway-but you really do need to eat a few "heavier" sitting foods like lean meats to leave you feeling satieted-especially if you work out a lot.
(This is the reason bodybuilders take protein supplements along with their regular meals.)
You can also burn a few extra calories doing a more well balanced eating plan by putting ice in your water tht you drink every day-it slightly lowers your body temperature, and your body burns a few to get it back up to normal...
If this is not the plan you are learning about-let me know, but I thought that is what is was called.
The recipes I have been putting up here are ones I have that are pretty easy to prepare, and that serve a smaller amout of people. (I hate to get a recipe that calls for rice paper, some strange imported herb, and a utensil that noone but Martha Stewart has in their kitchen! )
I am trying to stick with easier ones-you are all more likely to try them that way... I have a great pumpkin pie one I need to get up here for everyone to write down and use this fall...your families will NEVER know.
Have a good day everyone!
Aphil
Old 08-20-2002, 08:54 PM   #109  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello all!

jacklyn, scary about the dog growling at you from the woods! Those toned legs did their work in getting you home safely!

Kina, you poor thing! Three hours' sleep is just not enough. How long do you need to do that schedule? Please be careful; I once fell asleep driving home when I was working night shift and it is so scary.

aphil, another great supper idea from you! Thanks so much. That's great that your little daughter kept up for the walk! What a trouper. How's her party-planning coming?

tryin'hard - wow, it's back to school already for you! Was it 7th graders that you teach? That's the grade my younger son is entering.

You had asked me about a week ago or so if I had gone "clothes crazy" shopping yet - well, I did today. I mean not too overboard, 'cause I actually like to do thrift shops; but I got a pair of the tightest black pants in the universe; they're like a stretchy nylon, hip-huggers with flared legs and a black studded belt; I feel like trash wearing them but LOVE it! My husband likes them too I simply had to buy them just because of the size - 7/8 in the "no excuses" brand. Now I have to find the perfect occasion to wear them - maybe some trashy ladies' cotillion...

Nancy, how was the dentist, and his evil assistant, Nurse Mengele? I hope it wasn't too bad!

Well, being around those darned cookies all afternoon yesterday was a trial - and I had to bring the leftovers home to put in my big freezer, but all of them didn't make it into the freezer... well, the damage isn't too bad. Much less than it would have been 6 months ago.

Have a great evening and a wonderful Wednesday!!

Your friend, Holly with the trashy black pants

well, after posting this about 5 other new posts appeared; so now I know how Nancy's dentist appointment went! Numb lips would definitely be difficult to apply lipstick to!

Last edited by VermontMom; 08-20-2002 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:30 AM   #110  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Feeling much better

Hi Everybody. Well I got enough sleep the other day that Tuesday seemed to go without a hitch until I got so sick to my stomach. I don't think it was nerves or the fact that my life schedules has been uprooted. I think it was those nasty tamales I just had to have. I should have learned after the first time eating that they had made me sick.

But that day when i had only had 3 hours of sleep was because I had tossed and turned the whole night before. But I was so tired the night after that I didn't have a problem falling to sleep. So Tuesday went a whole lot smoother. But I came home sick Tuesday night. I promise to never eat those tamales from that place ever again. Yuck.

Jacklyn~~~you must be careful. Take some pepper spray or a stick with you next time. Pepper spray is much smaller to handle on a walk or jog. Something to think about.

Aphil~~~once I have more time I plan to try those recipes you post. They make my stomach grumble for food when I hear about them. Thank you. I look forward to trying them. Have you tried any of them?

Tryinhard~~~I didn't ever realize that you are a teacher. Teachers are Angels without wings...Truly. Thanks. I say thanks because there aren't many of you and the few that are out there don't often get the recognition that they very much deserve.

Vermontmom~~~oooh those jeans sound "Groovy Baby" I don't think I would ever dare...well maybe after shedding another 60 lbs maybe. Well thumbs up to you girl! That is awesome that you are at a place where you seem to be very comfortable in your skin. Great!

Jacklyn~~~Fat flush? I am very interested in how that works out for you. Don't leave anything out.

Nancy~~~WooHoo way to go. You are very determined woman and I guess that is the kind of focus we all need in order to get that scale to move. You are doing awesome and I think if you keep it up you will pass me in a day or two. Wow. That is great. Keep up the great work. Keep us posted on your weight loss.

I am going to cut it off here. But I send a big hello to everyone here and everyone that may be lost in the transition of the change of servers. Take care and hope to hear all the success stories and exciting stories of your new day, again. Bye.

Kina
Old 08-21-2002, 09:34 AM   #111  

Hello everyone!

The Fat Flush Plan is a book I picked up the other day and I haven't finished reading it yet but I'll try to explain it the best I can...as of now. There is also another thread under diet plans with others way more knowledgeable about it than I am, so you may want to check that out as well.

Basically the general idea of the plan is to cleanse the liver and the lymph nodes. The author makes a pretty good arguement that the bile made from the liver and stored in the gallbladder (???I believe...I dont have the book in front of me now so forgive me if I got that confused, I'll check my facts later tonight after I get off work)anyways..the bile is key in breaking up fat. She argues that if the liver is not functioning properly then it is harder to lose weight because it is unable to break up the fat efficiently. So this is a pretty clean way of eating. No soft drinks, no salt, no artificial sweetener except for something called Stevia Plus which I have not been able to find anywhere. You are supposed to drink a certain amount of diluted cranberry juice each day to help with the cleansing process. Eating is the following:
Up to 2 eggs per day, 8 oz. of lean meat per day, 2 fruits per day, and unlimited amount of veges per day. There is a list of fruits and vegies allowed. Also, 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil per day, which I use as my salad dressing with some vinigar and other spices.

The good thing is that I haven't really had to change my eating much. Just changing the salad dressing to an oil and vinegar, and adding some eggs and fruits. It kind of starts out as a low carb diet, but you can eat all the vegies you want with the fruit, so its not as restrictive and more well rounded (with the exception of bread).

The plan is in 3 phases and I briefly described the first which is the most restrictive. After a couple of weeks you can add a few carbs and then some dairy. So it really is a low carb rather than a no carb diet.

I figure if I cant stick with it, I will at least borrow some of the ideas she uses because it really makes sense when reading. From the other thread, I am gathering the problem is sticking with the program due to the restrictions and boredom of eating the same thing. I dunno we'll see. I know I dropped 3 pounds after one day, although I KNOW it is water weight seeing I spent have of the time in the bathroom from all of that cranberry juice

Oh yeah, another good thing is it is rich in the Omega 3 fatty oils which are good for you. I have read that many women can see a difference in their hair, nails, and complextion! Fat Flush here I come!
Old 08-21-2002, 09:38 AM   #112  

By the way, just wanted to state again that this is a BRIEF description of the plan and I am positive that I left something out, but I am at work now and unable to pull the ol'book out. Such is life...work interfering with my personal life! I'll check in later!
Old 08-21-2002, 09:47 AM   #113  

Hi everyone,
Vermont Mom-those pants sound great! Those sound exactly like the pants I wore when I met my husband 5 1/2 years ago...low on the hip, black, flared leg...with a tiny half shirt and a pierced naval...ahh, those were the days. I removed the naval ring when I was pregnant-as my belly got larger it began to look like the pin on a grenade...
I am still pretty young...(26)...so when I get to goal weight I think I still have a couple years of wearing that stuff again!
The party planning is going alright-I have all the fabrics cut out for the dress-there were like 10 panels just for the skirt! I will be ready to start getting it on the machine in a day or two!
I found some Disney Princess 3" tall figurines, and I am drafting a cake pattern to look like a castle to put them in front of-with ice cream cones on the top upside down for the steeple thingies-I am going to cover them with icing and make little toothpick flags on the tops of them-and a small graham cracker for the door, and mini marshmallows spaced out all across the top edges for the turrets. I am also debating whether or not to make her some balloon pillars. I had them at our wedding and paid a bundle-but since I insisted on doing most of the decorating the night before myself-I watched the balloon guy do them-they are really easy and cheap to do-it is just they look hard when they are together.
As far as the recipes, I have tried most of the ones I have put up here-like I said-I like easy ones that don't have 40 ingredients in them-so that is what I try to put up here.
Kina-I know all about your tamale thing. There is a mexican place in my hometown I have to eat at every time I go there-and it is SO good. Not like a Chi-Chi's-a small place owned by a mexican family in town. It is so good, and I am sick an hour later every time...it is actually one of those times where the price you pay for eating the food is worth it.
I just got done doing my abs workout-and Jas went on another walk with me last night. I am going to do my buns next...
Well, better go-have a good day everyone!
Aphil
Old 08-21-2002, 11:18 AM   #114  

Hello to everyone!
Holly--you must look AMAZING! Don't wait for an excuse to wear the pants! You go, girl!!!
Kina--thanks for the compliment about being a teacher. I have an 8th grade homeroom, but I teach math to grades 5 - 8. It's a lot of fun and I especially love the beginning of the year. In what other profession do you get to clean off your desk and start all over again every year?? I also look forward to getting back into the 'routine'. I try to do a little bit of housecleaning every night during the school year, and I must tell you, that went out the window this summer! (But I do have a great tan!!)
Aphil--do you get "Family Fun" magazine? They often have great cake decorating ideas. Check out their website: familyfun.com. (I think--I'll double check when I get home!) YOu are so creative!!
Well, my TOM arrived. My PMS was pretty bad this month, but I did my double exercising for three days and that helped keep it in check. I will get on the scale in a couple of days.
Have a great day all! Read you in the morning!
Old 08-21-2002, 12:26 PM   #115  

Good Morning!!

Had a lazy day yesterday, first day of TOM and there is no other word to describe how I feel except SLUG !!! I dont want to move at all.
We rented some Dvd's and that is what I did last night. Watch movies wrapped in a blanket.
I did however make the crabcake recipe. It was a good one. I will be sure to make that again.

I need some exercise,so I will force my self to go for a walk to today!!!!

Aphil~~ You crack me up with the description of your navel ring!! And envy I you , I have always wanted to do cake decorating and never did anything about it. You should take some pics and post them for us to see!

Kina~~ Tamales,, ahh,,,one of my weaknesses...anything mexican. Its a good thing that I live so far up in the north (no mexican in there right mind would think of living here) as there are no mexican resturants anywhere! Where do you live in Texas? My son is in Wichita falls at Sheppard Air Base. He is leaving next week to go to Keesler Air Base in Biloxi. I was in Texas back in June.

Jacklyn~~ I hope the Fat Flush Plan will work well for you. What happens when you dont have a gallbladder? Does it still work?
Those Omega 2 Acids are really suppose to be good for us also.

Tryinhard~~I agree with Kina , teachers are angels. My daughter is wanting to be a teacher. It is a slow process for her though. She has been going to school part-time because she works full -time.

Holly~~ Your pants sound awesome!! Your hubby must love them also. Trashy ladies cotillion,, what a hoot!!!!

Well everyone, have a great day and keep on smiling!!!

Nancy
203.5/197.5/???
Old 08-21-2002, 12:27 PM   #116  

Hi everyone,
The Fat Flush plan is a differnt one than what I was thinking of. The parts about the fruits and unlimited veggies sound pretty good, as well as the essential oils-but it is pretty restrictive.
If you are going to try to do this plan-if you are not already, try Northland or another 100% juice cranberry blend-Ocean Spray is mostly sugar water.
We all should be eating plenty of fruits and veggies anyway-and I like to eat more complex carbs like shredded wheat and grape-nuts cereals, and whole wheat breads and pastas-rather than white breads and bagels, and snacky type cakes. It is these types of blood sugar spiking foods that heighten your risk of getting diabetes.
White breads, white flour-these turn into sugar in your blood stream just as fast as eating sugar.
I am hypoglycemic, and at a very high risk for diabetes-I was gestational diabetic when I was pregnant-and a lot of people think that because something isn't sugary that you can have it. My aunt died from diabetes when she was 40-she was my mother's YOUNGER sister. My grandparents went to pick her up for church one morning, and found her on her couch.
She could never get that concept-that she had to watch that, and her total calorie intake-as well as the sugar. She preferred fruit juice over fruit, and did not watch her portions of the foods she was allowed to have-she ate a lot of white breads, crackers,etc.
A good rule of thumb is to check the labels of breads and crackers and cereals for fiber. If there isn't any-don't eat it very often. Try to eat fruit over juice when you can-especially with apple or grape juice-which are pretty nutrient free when in juice form. Orange and cranberry juice are better if you only have time for juice.
This is the only real reason I can see of trying to flush the "bad" carbs out of your system-most people are eating all of the sugar coated, bleached, refined breads and cereals full of chemicals.
When I try out new muffin recipes I look for ones with bran cereal or oats, or whole wheat flour as ingredients. I eat Eggo whole wheat waffles instead of regular-and they are excellent,by the way! There are times when I do eat the processed stuff-but I try to keep it to a minimum-like I only eat thin crust pizza-and I have it loaded with the veggie toppings.
I usually eat healthier fare like these, and only allow about 100 calories at the end of the day for a "junk" food-1/2 cup low-fat ice cream or something of that nature.
My weight loss after my children is more important to me than just looking and feeling better-I am trying to avoid being a diabetic for as long as possible-maybe altogether. I lost the weight gained after my daughter, and now I am trying to do it again...because I do not want to end up like my aunt.
I want to continue to do all of the things I am with my family, as well as more selfish reasons like looking better than my sisters-in-law!
This is the main risk I am facing-for those of you with more fat in your upper body your risk is heart disease among others.
I am not trying to put a damper on things-but I have just been thinking of the other benefits we are going to receive besides looking good-the most important ones. The walking and aerobics is giving us stronger hearts and lungs, the weights are giving us stronger bones to avoid osteoporosis, the fiber in the whole grains and fresh produce is reducing our risk of colon cancer, as well as the produce reducing cancer risks in general. We are doing so much more for our bodies than making them look better!
Rejoice in what you are doing, and smile ladies! I want to be here talking with you all for many years to come!
Love,
Aphil
Old 08-21-2002, 01:13 PM   #117  

Hey its me again!

Nancy~apparently not having a gall bladder doesn't effect the success of the diet. I dont know why because it kinda contradicts some of the reasoning that I gave earlier. I dont even know if she addresses that in the book but I read from other "Fat Flushers" that it apparently doesnt make a differnce. I will try to look that up tonight and give you a better reason than my scientific "I dunno"

Aphil~you are right, it is restrictive. That'll be my biggest challenge. I know what you mean about the diabetes. My dad has been diagnosed with it and it has really effected him. If he eats anything with sugar, his energy goes right down the drain. Of course, does he change the way he eats??? No way. He did lose about 50 pounds a while back but he has slowly slipped back into his old habits. I think he looks at it as "I'm 60...eaten this way my whole life...not gonna change". Oh well.

Hope everyone else is having a great day!
Old 08-22-2002, 03:12 PM   #118  

Good afternoon gang,

I hope everyone is doing fantastic today!!
I am doing great, except I am off to the dentist again as my gum has some swelling from the work that was done the other day, So she wants to check it out.

Will check back in later....

Nancy
203.5/197.5/???
Old 08-23-2002, 09:23 AM   #119  

Hi everyone,
I had a pretty stressful night, and I stress ate a bit more than I wanted to-but instead of beating myself up, I am just going to up my exercise today, and not have my 100 calorie junk food today-I'll have a small 90 calorie protein shake or a serving of fruit.
I have the bodice done on Jasmine's dress-I fitted it around her to see if it was going alright, and she got so excited! Even without the skirt and sleeves attached, she knew what it was!
My dad-who is very fit for his age, was playing corporate baseball with his company, and he got hit with a ball in the calf really hard, and lost the feeling in his leg for quite a long time. They had to go to the emergency room and make sure there wasn't a blood clot in there-to avoid the risk of stroke if there was. It turns out that it is alright, the ball just hit a nerve!
He is a real trooper-he doesn't work out, but he has played ball since he was a kid, and he is always doing construction, landscaping, and other outdoor work when he is not at his job. I can only hope to have his endurance when I am his age!!!
Well, I better go-I need to burn off those extra calories so my Monday scale day will maybe see the end of this plateau!
Have a good day!
Aphil
Old 08-23-2002, 05:40 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello all

Just thought I'd check in again (I appear to have stopped getting notification of posts yet again but at least this time I remembered to come look before I had two dozen posts to catch up on!).

Anyway, today I'm at 18 weeks. I have gained.. 2-many pounds
I finally found out that I've gotten Medicaid for all my pregnancy related health costs. I have my first prenatal appointment on my wedding anniversary (October 7).. I'll be around 24 weeks by then but they couldn't get me anything earlier.. :-( At least everything seems to be moving smoothly (other than gaining too much weight!) so I'm not too worried about waiting. I'm just impatient for fun things like an ultrasound

I tried Aphil's taco salad recipe a few days ago (cept I used 2 taco shells cuz we didnt have baked tostidos and I'm not really dieting so i figured it wouldn't be too bad.. and I substituted tomato for the salsa).. it was YUMMMMMY! I want more!

I bought some maternity clothes cuz my 'bigger' sizes (from before i lost the 40+ lbs) are finally getting tight in the belly. The kewl thing is i could get my maternity pants in a medium .. and I got 2 pair of casual sporty stretch pants (not sure how to explain them) from the 'juniors' dept (non-maternity) and got them in large (so they'll continue to fit as this belly grows!)... glad that i even fit into them at 18 weeks preggo!!

Okay, thats my update . . . glad to hear ya'll are still doing well..

Christine
Closed Thread