General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #1  

Default Slowed Metabolism?!

I am 5'1 and I weigh 102 pounds. I know I don't need to lose weight but I would like to lose some fat and firm up a bit. I burn about 1800 calories per day and I consume 1350 calories per day. This puts me at a calorie deficit of about 450 calories per day. I have literally been eating 1350 calories and burning about 1800 for about 4 months and I only have a 5 pound weight loss to show for it. What is going on?

I know the most obvious explanations it that I am not counting right. I really am very meticulous with measuring my food and I have gotten very good at estimating calories in food prepared by someone else. I usually only eat food I made myself though because I want my count to be as accurate as possible. I am a college student and I live about 3/4 of a mile from campus. Everyday I walk back and forth from my house to my campus twice while carrying a backpack (which is also up a hill). I also walk for about an hour in addition to the trek to and from campus. I go to the gym 2 or 3 times per week. I typically run for about 20 minutes and then lift weights for 30 minutes. Based on my lifestyle I have to be burning at least 1800 calories per day. If anything I am underestimating how much I am burning and overestimating how much I am eating.

Did my metabolism slow down from being at a calorie deficit for so long? I just cant understand how I should be losing a little less than a pound per week but have been completely weight stable for months. Its so frustrating.
julie14401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm nowhere near your size. But I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject of metabolism. As I understand it, I don't believe you can kill your metabolism unless you're really underweight. I also don't think your rate of weight loss is wrong. I think you're very close to your ideal weight. Have you ever had your bodyfat percentage checked?

It takes time to build muscle and firm up. You might want to change up your routine, cut back on cardio and increase your weight training. What does your weight training routine look like? Are you using machines or free weights? Does a trainer help you?

I've been participating in the Venus Index forum (you have to pay to participate) and I've learned a lot from them. They support intermittent fasting and have a weight training routine that is rigorous but very effective. I've also found The New Rules for Lifting for Women very helpful. And I do Pilates as well, which is fabulous and firming things up. My backside and upper thighs have gotten a lot firmer and all my pants are loose in the back now.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
As I understand it, I don't believe you can kill your metabolism unless you're really underweight.
First, a study came out that debunked the "3500" calories =s 1 lb. I simply isn't true. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/he...anted=all&_r=0

Second, I have been hanging out at the refuse or regain site and she has evidence that metabolism does not move that much. Kind of no matter what... your metabolism = to other women of the same age has been proven to be just about the same. No matter what. It can move a little (like 100 cals) based on age, muscle, exercise etc... but... it won't be "destroyed" due to eating less.

I do think our bodies have a tremendous ability to maintain balance -- and so, your body has likely adjusted, so you need to shake it up again. Some people say that is low metabolism but the truth is that we just don't know. It could be a zillion things... hormones, etc.

I suggest, drop those calories substantially. Use high volume low calorie foods to keep yourself full and shake up your body. Also as the other poster mentioned... try something like intermittent fasting just to shake it up what is happening. In my experience it works.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #4  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

You're not weight stable. You've lost 5 pounds in 4 months. That's a perfectly reasonable rate of weight loss, especially at your size.

We all eat more calories and burn fewer calories than we think we do. When you're short, small, and female, you simply don't need many calories to live on. Your calorie counting may be about as accurate as it can be (I'm assuming you're weighing rather than measuring your food--I know I've posted the Leigh Peele video for you before), but all of our counts are merely estimates, and are very likely below the actual number.

As for activity, again, you're small; your gym time and walking time is not going to burn many calories. And eating at a deficit for an extended time, it is quite possible that you are unconsciously compensating for that by moving less during the rest of the day. This is what our bodies do; they don't like to let go of what little fat we have left!

If you're not lifting heavy weights when you're doing your strength training, I'd do that. Otherwise, I don't think you need to be doing anything differently--you simply need to be patient--unless you're willing to eat at maintenance calories or above for a while and focus on building muscle.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote