General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/238/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Fiber Tips?

I know that a key to losing weight in a healthy way is to eat enough fiber enriched foods. I eat lots of veggies but I was wondering what kind of fiber supplements might help, any ideas? I'm kind of afraid only because I don't want to have to be running to the restroom every 10 seconds either Thanks so much!
Becca812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Try some of the lighter fiber, not too harsh versions. I like fiber one products. Just had their cereal for breakfast with blueberries actually. If that is too much fiber at once for you, mix it in with some cheerios, that is what i do with my daughter's cereal.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I usually don't need extra because I have steel cut oats for breakfast every day. Beans also have a lot of fiber, I have a salad I make with my own cooked black beans once in a while, and they seem to have more fiber than the canned. Fiber One makes a great snack as noted above, and you can also crumble it onto yogurt and fruit and desserts.

When I travel sometimes I take supplements, just some fiber capsules, when I can't get fiber through meals. I just went to check the bottle, they're the Walmart/Target (don't remember which -- it's "Equate") generic equivalent of Metamucil capsules, with the psyllium husks. Each tablet has only 1/2 gram of fiber, and you can take up to six. So if you want to go that way you could start with just one, that shouldn't be too drastic, with a big glass of water.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/245/157

Height: 5' 6"

I adore flaxseed meal, especially the Golden type. Can be eaten as a yogurt topping, added to meals, used as a coating and eaten as a hot cereal when boiling water is added. I eat 3 T a day.
lavenderannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/293/125

Height: 5'5"

I like plain Benefiber. It's just wheat dextrin, no sugar or anything. I've taken it an a glass of water, coffee, or in smoothies. It has absolutely no taste or grit what-so-ever. I've even taken it and mixed it in tuna salad and fed hubby and he had no idea it was there. You can mix it in to anything. I've taken it everyday for the past 3 weeks or so, and never had the 'run to the bathroom' issue. 2 teaspoons is 15 calories, 4g carbs, 3 of which are soluble fiber. No sodium or sugar either. The only ingredient is wheat dextrin. Might be worth looking in to. Apparently, you can even cook with it, like mix it in soups or sauces.
I can't imagine going back to how I was without it. It's made a huge difference.
christinesefton is offline   Reply With Quote