General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 05:45 PM   #1  

Wink Skinny Soup Diet....... Basic Fat Burning Soup

I found this plan on another site, and want to try it, I've been having a hard time lately staying on track and this might be the kick in the arse I've been looking for. Has anyone tried it, and how did it go, did you gain back your loss as soon as you starting eating again.

Skinny Soup Recipe...... Basic Fat Burning Soup
6 lg grn onions
1 or 2 cans of tomatoes
1 lg head of cabbage
2 grn bell peppers
1 bunch of celery
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
Season with salt,pepper,curry, parsely or bouillon if desired.

Cut vegs into sm. pieces. Cover with water and boil fast for 10 mins then cut to simmer until tender.This soup can be eaten anytime you are hungry. The more you eat,the more you lose. If eaten alone foor long periods of time you will suffer malnutrition.

Day 1....Eat all fruits today except bananas. Eat only soup and fruits. For drinks-sugarfree tea, cranberry juice or water.

Day 2....Eat all vegs today. Eat until you burst! Fresh or canned o.k. Try to stay away from peas and corn( high starch content) Eat the soup along with the vegs. Reward yourself with a huge baked potatoe for dinner loaded with butter. Do NOT eat any fruits on this day.

Day 3....Today eat all fruits and vegs that you want with the soup. Do not eat a baked potatoe today. If you have not cheated on this diet you should have lost between 5-7 pounds.

Day 4....Today eat as many as 3 bananas and drink skim milk.
Both are full of carbs, protein and calcium.

Day 5....Beef and tomatoes. Have as much as 20 ounces of beef if desired and tomatoes. Canned or fresh. Drink at least 6 glasses of water today to rid the uric acid in your system. Eat the soup if you're not too sick of it, at least once today.

Day 6....Beef and vegs today. Eat all you want. No baked potatoe though. Soup at least once today.

Day 7....Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and vegs all day. Stuff yourself silly. Have soup at least once.

The end of the seventh day weigh yourself. You should have lost 10-17 pounds. If you lost more than 15 pounds, stay off this diet for 2 days before starting it up again.

This diet is a fast, fat burning diet that flushes the body of impurities and makes you feel good. Do not drink alcohol, it is slows down the whole process. Go off this diet 24 hrs. before alcohol intake.

Definite No-No's: Bread, alcohol, diet drinks.

This plan is from the Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital. It is used for over-weight people to help them lose rapidly before surgery.

NO SMOKING!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2002, 06:41 PM   #2  

There are so many things wrong with that plan, it's hard to know where to begin. I have a lot of difficulty believing a hospital would prescribe this to anyone.

1) There is NO protein until day 5. That means you will lose water and muscle, not fat.

2) Even if you're eating all day long, there is no rhyme or reason as to why you could eat fruits but not vegetables. That doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

3) Bananas and skim milk are full of protein? No they are not.

4) Beef and vegetables but no baked potato? I don't even come close to get what logic would dictate that. Why beef?

5) Brown rice and unsweetened fruit juice? Again, what is the POINT of that?

6) A fast does not last 7 days. There is not a single day in this plan that makes any sense and when you put it all together, it makes even less sense. It's full of nonsensical combinations that have absolutely no basis for them.

Losing weight on this will be inevitable but it's completely screwy and could mess up your electrolytes among other things. You will gain the weight right back and it doesn' teach you the first thing about nutrition or what your body needs to lose fat and gain lean muscle. It's a really dangerous looking plan and I hope you don't try it.

There's probably a lot more wrong with it than I've pointed out but I would urge you to NOT do this. It won't get you on track, it will just add (in the long run) to your difficulty.

Susan
Old 04-06-2002, 08:57 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Cool Ah...the old Cabbage Soup Diet...

once again rears its smelly head!

Speaking from AGONIZING personal experience, whatever weight you lose (and I highly doubt most of it's fat - usually water and muscle) will soon come back, along with a long dislike for the smell and taste of cabbage!

I'm not going to even bother repeating all the points that Susanje stated in her post. Except...bananas are full of protein??? I don't think so!!

This has been an interesting month here...first the all-bean cow weight loss diet...then the not-the-Mayo-Clinic diet...now cabbage soup again...

And NO WAY would a hospital endorse this diet...these internet quickie diets always seem to want to tag a faux medical endorsement to legitimize them...all I know is when Dad went in for his heart surgery, his cardiologist gave him a copy of the American Heart Association Cookbook and advised him to follow what was then called the "American Heart Association Step II" diet - which does not tell you WHAT to eat as much as what amounts of fats, carbs, protein, cholesterol, and total calories...

All I gotta say is...sheesh...it must be ALMOST SWIMSUIT SEASON!!!
Old 04-07-2002, 10:28 AM   #4  

Okay, so the diet that I posted doesn't sound so good anymore, not the healthy thing to do. I've gotten some pretty negative response towards it, like if I lost anything it would propably just be water and muscles, not the fat, so I'd be jigglier than ever, don't want to lose those muscles ( what little I have). I do think I will make up the soup and eat it for lunch and maybe a snack when I'm hungry, and just try to eat sensibly again. Always looking for that quick solution, I just have to face the facts that there are no quick solutions. From experience I should know that by now
Old 04-07-2002, 11:09 AM   #5  

We're all looking for that. You are not alone. Some of us just give up, knowing it doesn't exist (if it did, we'd all be skinny!) and find the best way to work it off.

I did mean to say, in my last post, that there is no such thing as a "fat burning" food or pill (again it's hard work to burn fat. Building muscle also burns fat). I do Body for Life and have found it to be rewarding and satisfying. The external results take weeks and weeks because you're building muscle faster than you're burning fat but when the fat starts to burn off, the results are pretty startling.

I'm glad you are not going to wreck your body with this "diet".

Good luck,
Susan
Old 04-07-2002, 12:13 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Me too!

We're only here to HELP, not put ya down. Sometimes it can sound like a put down when we trash these 'quickie' diets but what my goal is (and I believe Susan's as well) is to give others the benefit of my 30+ years of diets, etc.

Instead of focusing on 'quick' (and temporary) scale reductions...what we need to focus on is PERMANENT safe weight loss. Unfortunately the truth is that losing bodyfat is a long process that requires self-discipline and WORK. HOWEVER!!! It really depends on your attitude when starting out - just like any project. If you hate what you're doing, you'll soon stop and go back to your old habits.

Like Susanje, I am also doing BFL - actually I'm on a competition diet right now which is a bit stricter...why not come check it out on our BFL thread here at 3FC or at www.leanandstrong.com ...we'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

All you need to succeed is will, desire to change, and KNOWLEDGE...that's what has worked for me to get from a size 24/26 to my current size 4! I'm no one special...and you CAN do it. As my friend Pam Brown says... "Live life with no regrets...go for your dreams!!!" (BTW - if you want some inspiration - check out her transformation photos at this previous 3FC thread: http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...threadid=13605 )

Take care!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:32 AM   #7  

bumping up
Closed Thread