General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #46  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I also have a thyroid problem. I had to have it out,because of nodgules {sp}
that kept growing. I really wanted to blame that on my weight gain and problems w/losing. But, my Dr. said it only could be contributed to about 15 lbs,. Darn it!Especially if someone is on the right meds for it.It shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #47  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaNina View Post
WHy is it that a woman like Oprah that can afford a trainer and a great chef still can't drop a few lbs? SHe has been struggling her entire life with her weight even though she has all the tools in the world to lose weight. Does that mean the rest of us are hopeless???
I know this is far fetch, but maybe she just wants to seem real? You know like us normal people who CAN'T afford trainers, who DON'T have Chefs. Maybe she just wants to be different and prove to the world of normal people that you don't have to have ALL this stuff to lose weight.

Also I don't think it makes us hopeless, you need to want something to get it. Once you have the mentality that you want it you'll start to do it. Everyone's weight is different didn't oprah try some silly diet? When you want to lose weight you have to remember even AFTER you lost it all you still have to maintain a healthy diet. Maybe she didn't maybe she fell off the ban wagon after being on a silly less then 1000 cals a day diet. It happens.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #48  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Rereading this thread has gotten my thinking. Why would we expect celebrities to have any better life-skills and life-success than anyone else?

It's obvious (from the tabloids, and legitimate news as well) that celebrities are not exempt from (and may even be more prone to) life's turmoils and tragedies such as legal problems, financial problems and bankruptcy, mental illness, substance abuse, domestic violence, divorce, marital infidelity, racism...

The myth of celebrity making life better, is probably more myth than fact. The only thing more money and attention seems to bring anyone is access to more stuff (not just good stuff, but bad stuff too), more enemies and more fair-weather friends.

I've never understood the cult of celebrity, especially when it comes to weight loss. Why on earth, would we expect an actress or tv journalist, a fashion model or a celebutante to have a corner on health and weight loss knowledge - and why would I expect their experiences to relate to mine?

Of course they have access to better healthcare, but there are also a lot of quacks out there, ready to tell a celebrity whatever they want to hear in order to get their money. I think because for many celebrities, their appearance IS their livlihood, it only makes them more desperate for extreme and unhealthy methods to lose weight. They're not looking down the road to their long-term health, they're trying to lose weight for their next movie role, or red-carpet event. To misapply the quote by Heidi Klum, "One minute you're in, and the next minute you're out."

I think many celebs are worrying far more about "staying in," than what they're doing to their bodies in the long run. In many ways, they're the last people we should be looking to for role models of living a balanced, healthy life.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #49  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

IMHO life is what we make it based on what we want out of it. Living healthy is an individual decision. So let us all make a decision to be an example or encouragement for someone else.

I find it more hopeful when someone on 3FC post their journey and weight loss results, their struggle and maintenance time. I get excited...real excited and hope reigns eternal.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 154/143/132

Height: 5.9

To Kaplods, re: why do we expect from celebrities..

I think that in the current cultural ambiance, to BE a celebrity is the essence of being successful (I don't think it's true - but it is culturally true). So, everything they do may be seen as steps towards ultimate success - including how they eat, how they exercise, etc. It's weird really, and so not logical, but they are the paradigms, you know? In place of the heros, the gods... we now have Britney Spears... <deep sigh>
Naama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default Money, fame and weight issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8-EEE View Post
Hey, I totally understand it. If it was just an issue of affordability only poor people would have weight problems. Everyone else would just write a check.

How many people here have "been able to afford" Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers or joining Bally's....why don't they have 100% success based on having the money to do these things?

Bottom line Oprah is a human being and struggles with comfort/stress eating and other weight-related issues as I do.

Money and fame doesn't save you from that, or drug addiction, alcoholism, divorce, sickness.....you still struggle with everything except being broke!
I agree 100%. Food addiction is an equal opportunity problem, being famous and wealthy has nothing to do with it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglefree View Post

I find it more hopeful when someone on 3FC post their journey and weight loss results, their struggle and maintenance time. I get excited...real excited and hope reigns eternal.
Oh wow, SO very true. We chicks are powerful, every one of us.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote