General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 08:38 AM   #1  

Talking Body for Life #41

BODY FOR LIFE NUMBER 41!!!!!!!

I had GOOD cardio yesterday and no palpitations yesterday or today!!!! YEAH!!! Ate clean and felt really good last night. I am really tightening up my program right now. Thanks to my little notebook I'm feeling very disciplined. I can SEE exactly what I'm doing between my stars and smiley faces. I have a medium sized 3 subject notebook and I do a weekly chart in the front of it with my exercise column and wide food column. Then the next 3 pages are my expanded food journals (2 days on each page). Then the second part of the book is my expanded exercise diary. Then the third part is my head diary (I think it should be called body and head for life because my brain is where I have the most problems ). How I feel, what I want, my keeping self-promises/crossing the abyss type of psychological "stuff". Yesterday I got a cardio star and SIX smiley faces for perfect BFL food. I'm so thrilled. When you're a law student, it doesn't take much.

Continuing on...from number40:

Thunderheart: re: maintenance -- I am sure that the folks at L&S have some thoughts on maintenance. I have wondered it myself.

I remember reading on Jennifer Baird's website that she thought that when you are maintaining it's more exact but I don't know what she meant.
(have you seen Jennifer's site? It's at http://www.bodyforlifediaries.com)

I believe Jennifer is in her 5th or 6th challenge and she meticulously charts her measurements, diaries etc. Great site. She tries different things in different challenges (cutting carbs/increasing cardio) and then reports at the end of the challenge what impact she thought those changes had. A good reference tool as well as inspirational.

However, I digress I think that folks on L&S can also answer the maintenance question.

Mrs. Jim: are swiss ball leg lifts the exercise where you are face down on the ball and you lift one leg as high as you can?

Susan
Old 02-28-2002, 10:30 AM   #2  

Default that's a tough one...

It seems that most of the active posters at L&S are still on the journey. I would think that discovering the balance between weight loss, weight gain, BF%, muscle development, etc. could be touchy. Keeping accurate details as Susanje mentioned is vital...even for a program like WW, people seem to go up and down.

My own plan is to stay with lifting weights, doing that cardio, and maybe adding a few more calories to my daily portions if I ever need to. My ultimate goal is to drop from 28% BF to 15%. And not to fluctuate much from that. My metabolism appears to be frozen so that's an ambitious plan.
For someone younger, or with better genetic potential, that might be their starting point!
Old 02-28-2002, 12:05 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Good morning...

First off, let me just answer Thunderheart's question regarding maintenance.

Like Lisa said, that's a really tough one for me, because I can't just sit - I always have to challenge myself to be more, do more... Ray Kroc (McDonald's chairman) said something that has stuck with me...except I don't have the book "Behind the Arches" with me so I'll have to paraphrase as best I can: "Never stop growing, because when you stop growing you ripen, and when you ripen, you rot."

Of course I don't intend to live on Pam B's competition diet for the rest of my life - but the BFL diet as set out in the book - now THERE'S something I can easily live with - very balanced and simple to follow...and yes, I can easily see myself lifting weights, challenging myself, well into my golden years - after all, my Dad is going to be 70 this year and he's still hitting the gym every day - lifting weights , doing cardio...and he looks a good 10 years younger than his actual age! My mother is an avid gymgoer as well - however, since her double masectomy and reconstuctive surgeries a few years back, she has focused on swimming laps and lighter weight training. I couldn't imagine being one of those seniors who just sit in front of the telly all day waiting to die! Besides I've already been there, done that (not the senior part - the sitting in front of the TV eating half-gallons of ice cream and pizzas part - believe me it is NOT fun).

So as far as the journey...for me, it will probably stop when my heart stops beating - hopefully that's quite some time down the road (and Jim will still be at my side God willing)

Now about those leg lifts!!! Here's how I do 'em. Get the smaller swiss ball (the 45 cm) and lying on your back, put your legs straight up in the air. Grip the ball between your ankles and lift your pelvis, hold for 1 sec, and down. Oh, your hands should be at your sides (not behind your neck)!

Theresa also showed me those other side leg lifts where you lie on your side on the ball and lift the top leg up. Ow!
Old 02-28-2002, 12:57 PM   #4  

Default Thanks MrsJim

Saw your post over at L&S before I checked it out over here. Thanks for your response. I agree with everyone that responded over there as well as your post here. I fully intend on making this a lifelong way of life as well.

What I should have been a little more specific about is - what if you don't want all the bulk that the competitor type bodies have? What if you like the "softer cut" look. Oh heck! I don't know how to explain it - I don't want to offend the ladies that do compete because I really admire the discipline and hard work that goes along with that. I just may want to do the same thing someday! I just wondered if there was a way to maintain a certain look.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:45 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thunderheart - what it sounds like you don't want is for your bodyfat to get down below 10-12%. Relax - unless you go on a VERY DRASTIC bodybuilder's competition diet and workout routine...that ain't a-gonna happen.

Stick to BFL and you'll get what you want...then take it from there...you can keep doing BFL (remember, it's FOR LIFE) and feeling great - looking great - your whole life...or you can take it up a notch...

As an example - take me...I'm on a competition diet right now...here is today's menu (please note that this is a low-carb week for me!):

Meal #1 - 12 eggwhites and 2 tablespoons salsa
Meal #2 - Protein shake (made with 4 scoops Simply Protein = 50 grams protein) and 1/2 cup blueberries
Meal #3 - 2 tomatoes and 7 oz tunafish (canned)
Meal #4 - Asparagus (8 spears), 2 cups mushrooms and 6.5 oz round steak
Meal #5 - Another protein shake (I use MetRx Protein Plus at night - it's a casein/whey mix rather than straight whey).

Plus doing 30-40 minutes HIIT and MAS cardio 5 days a week...plus weights 6 days a week...(I don't do cardio on leg days).

Needless to say, I don't intend to do the above for the rest of my life...after my competition (May if possible - otherwise July) I intend to go back to BFL eating and 3 20 MAS cardio sessions a week. The weights - well, I like doing the 4 split...so I'll keep that up.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:59 PM   #6  

Default mom at 79....

has done demanding physical labor most of her life, walks every day, stays on an excellent diet, and goes to yoga twice a week. She is planning to START weight-training (at the Senior Center) and perhaps do some pool aerobics in the next few months.

I'll be a retired librarian at 55, at which point I intend to begin certification programs to be a massage therapist and a personal trainer. No more academics!
Old 02-28-2002, 02:01 PM   #7  

Smile WOW MrsJim!!!

I am soooo impressed! I know that must take alot of determination and discipline. You go girl!! I know you're gonna do it - cause I can hear it (read it) when you post!

Like I said, I have a long long way to go yet, but I'm in no hurry - it's for life. In my dreams I can be down to a 20%BF (half of what I am now) but what the heck - while I'm dreamin I might as well shoot for the stars at ... dare I say 15%. Who knows what the future will bring - only time and hard work will tell.

Thanks for your response!
Old 02-28-2002, 04:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Question Hello again!

I've just started on the BFL program and I have a question. I'm making out my grocery list right now and was wondering what all of you buy? What are your staples?
Old 02-28-2002, 06:50 PM   #9  

Stephanie,

If you use the Eating for Life List of Authorized foods, you can pick out your favorites and make a grocery list. However, I know what you mean in that you'd like to hear what other people get. My list is a bit whacked but here it is:

I am a picky eater so I eat chicken almost every meal. I know that beef is technically authorized but I try to stay away from it. I sometimes make turkey meat loaf with eggs, oatmeal and spices but mostly my meat is chicken. I use eggs sometimes so I always buy egg beaters. I like to cook up Irish Oatmeal (steel cut oats) and add egg beaters and protein powder, cinnamon and Splenda and then bake but I usually get my Irish Oats from Netrition. I always buy plenty of Splenda!!!! I sometimes do regular oatmeal with protein powder, splenda and cinnamon...the consistency is like PASTE but sometimes I want to eat it anyway.

I always buy brown rice, potatoes and sweet potatoes (or yams).
I nuke the potatoes most days. For the sweet potatoes I cook them up then I throw in a blender with splenda and cinnamon.
Yum.

I always buy some fruit both fresh and frozen (I like to throw frozen fruit in MRPs that are protein heavy). I buy broccoli, green beans, peas and sometimes cucumber for my veggies (I'm not big on veggies but I eat chicken, brown rice and some veggie at least twice a day. Typically meals 3 and 5 is this combo.) I buy lettuce and tomatoes sometimes for salad but I have to be in the mood.

I know MrsJim does something with barley but I wouldn't know what I would do with it. I know Bill P doesn't like it much and I think I'm in his camp. People also buy cottage cheese and yogurt and mix it. I did this for a while but not anymore. I'm not a big fan.

Finally there is the sugar free, fat free jello to make MRPs thicker and perhaps other uses as well. I always buy some of that and to round things off, I buy Pam.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Check out the Eating for Life list and buy a good combo of things on that list that you like.

Keep checking in!
Susan
Old 02-28-2002, 07:19 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Just adding to Susan's tips for shopping...

Now, as far as carbs, you are NOT limited to what the list says. Of course to be on the safe side, you might want to stick strictly to the list in the book. I think Bill was just trying to keep things simple!!!

There are so many good fruits that aren't on the list that would work VERY well and a lot of people at www.leanandstrong.com add to their menus. Like - berries - blueberries, raspberries, blackberries...Peaches...nectarines...etc. Bananas are okay but I wouldn't eat them all the time personally.

I tend to stay away from fat-free yogurt as a carb - love it, but it doesn't fill me up as well as the other carbs like potatoes, rice, etc do.

You might want to go to www.leanandstrong.com and check out the Cooking Library for yummy ideas. Right now the popular meal there is to get an apple (like a Fuji or Granny Smith type), cut it in chunks, add cinnamon and Splenda, and nuke for a few minutes. Then when it's all nice and hot and gooey, add your cottage cheese. This is SO GOOD!! Really tastes like a hot apple pie.

I have a couple of recipes up in the Cooking Library - one for Joe's Special BFL style and another for rice pilaf and chicken (which I actually got from the Minute Brown Rice box).

Barley - I just cook it like rice. Actually I use low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth when I cook grains...tastes really yummy!

I also buy the Jello fatfree sugar free pudding mix to add to my Myoplex Lite in the evenings (well, that's what I WAS doing prior to a week and a half ago ). Another good thing to have if you're using vanilla flavored Myo Lite or protein powder is Butter Buds and cinnamon. Makes a terrific 'cinnamon roll' taste!
Old 02-28-2002, 07:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default fitness goals?

hello all,

thunderheart - I think its cool that we are on the same week of our first challenge, - AFter a rough start to week four, I have it under control and am working the programme with heaps of enthusiasm. I know I'm supposed to give up the scales, but I think it was not losing anything last week that threw me. Its a hard habit to break.

stephanie -
I spent quite a bit of time planning a menu before I started and I am really enjoying the food so far.

I buy chicken breasts, sirloin steak, tinned salmon, fresh fish, lean mince (I think you guys call it hamburger or ground beef), eggs, and low fat cottage cheese with chives for my proteins.
For Carbs I love baked potatoes, and sweet potatoes, whole grain bread, and wholemeal pasta. I also use myoplex lite bars and simply protein whey powder which I make with low fat milk and a banana for a balanced meal.
As accessories I buy tinned tomatoes, Salsa, low fat sour cream, hummus and veges of course

Typical meals for me include:
Chicken Burrittos.
baked potatoes with cottage cheese and chives (love the stuff)
egg white omelet on toast
lean ham and salad sandwich
spaghetti bolognaise
protein shake, or myoplex lite bar (when I'm out)
steak burger
salmon and potato or low fat crackers

It is all very tasty and making egg white omelets has been a real eye opener for me - I really enjoy them.

I hope that helps a little bit (sorry for being so long winded)

now - about the goal setting...
I know what I would like to weigh, and what size I want to wear, but I don't really know how to set fitness goals. Like what weights I'd like to be lifting or how fast I want to bike etc, because I have no idea what people can actually do.

Would love to hear what your goals are.

Thanks heaps for the input on Week Four - it really helped to know it wasn't just me - and especially with my time of the month and not having energy to do workouts properly. I made it through and now I'm moving on with force!
see ya - have a great day.
Carly:sheep:
(the sheep is because I live in New Zealand and we are famous for having more sheep than people here!)
Old 02-28-2002, 07:26 PM   #12  

Default Hi Stephanie

When I first started I just copied the authorized food list from the book and bought stuff that I liked. The first week I ate alot of cottage cheese and yogurt for meals 2 & 4 but that passed fairly quickly. I still like it but I seem to go in spurts of something I really like and then try something different.

I surfed around alot to the various BFL sites and got ideas from recipe files to try different things. But I basically stuck to the list in the book. In case your curious...my latest addiction is oatmeal and cottage cheese with cinnamon, splenda and vanilla. I know - I thought it sounded pretty gross when I first read about it - but it is now one of my favourite meals!! Go figure.

Oh yeh and another favourite for my last meal of the day is SteveL's recipe from L&S. Chop an apple and sprinkle with cinnamon and Splenda - nuke it until the apple starts to sweat - mix in your cottage cheese. I swear it tastes like apple pie with a slice of cheese.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:36 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Carps - you're buying the Myo Lite bars??? I'd stay away from them - they are 'sugar bombs' big time...I have a Myo Lite bar right here (it's been in my desk for almost a year) - there are a mere 15 grams of protein (not enough - most women should have 20 grams) and of the 26 grams of carbs, 15 are sugar! Also, check the ingredients list - most of the first ingredients are sugar in one form or another - high fructose corn syrup, sugar, polydextrose, high maltose corn syrup, dextrose...

Most people who begin BFL think that everything that is sold by EAS is okay for BFL. That's what they'd LIKE you to think but it really isn't...even in those 'BFL kits' they sell.

Right now the only EAS products I purchase are Myoplex Lite shake (MRPs). Cappuchino Ice mostly.

Remember that Bill Phillips (author of BFL) sold the company a few years ago...the new owners then proceeded to come out with dozens of products, many with the "Myoplex" name on them. The Myoplex Lite bars are one of those products.

Bars in particular are not a good staple at all. They are ALL filled with sugar, yes even the 'low-carb' ones - check the label for glycerin (sugar alcohol). The FDA is trying to crack down on the supplement companies to start calling glycerin a carb as it should be - so you'll be seeing a change in the labeling in the future.

Anyway, bars are okay for emergencies (like if you're on a plane and can't get a BFL meal for instance) but definintely NOT everyday fare.

Same with those ready-to-drink shakes...plus they taste gross!

Off my soapbox now...
Old 02-28-2002, 08:11 PM   #14  
Mel

Default More food for thought....

Thought I'd throw in my food 2 cents also:
-tons of egg white and spinach omelettes with salsa.
-tuna on mixed greens with a spritz of balsamic vinegar and a slice of whole kernal rye bread
-lots of the cottage cheese and apple mixture (but
NO SPLENDA - the stuff has a gross aftertaste for me and the apple seems sweet)
-chicken breasts cooked every way imaginable, current favorite is curry with brown rice and broccoli
-salmon with salad and brown rice
-sweet potato and cottage cheese
-protein powder with frzoen fruit smoothies (usually vanilla with peaches and blueberries)
-very lean london broil sliced very thin
-and my new favorite food, steel cut oatmeal

I stay away from all artificial sweeteners, they make me sick, so it's just not worth it. I've found a protein powder at GNC that is sweetened with stevia (I know, buy from netrition, but they don't sell anything I can use), and occaisionally put a few drops of agave syrup in herbal teas for a very slight sweet taste.

I did a huge leg workout yesterday and can feel it everywhere and have been starving ever since. Also TOM hit with a vengeance, so maybe that's why.

Thunderheat- I've been puzzling about an answer to your maintenance question since you asked it because I can't fathom ever being at that place. I guess everyone on L&S said basically what I was going to. I'm now in smaller size clothes than I ever believed possible and within 2 pounds of the target scale weight I set for myself last July when I started working on transforming my body, but now I just see how much more work there is to do and how unhappy I am with it still. I don't know if this is psychotic and just another manifestation of the eating disorders I've struggled with since my teens, but I sure want to keep working, whittle down the BF and keep adding more steel.

BTW- anybody know what is the point of doing pull-ups facing away from the hoist? I know they feel different, but I can't remember what the trainer told me, and it sure is awkward to get on and off!

mel
Old 02-28-2002, 08:22 PM   #15  

I just have to post. I am now down to (I know we are not suppose to look at the scale, but it does not hinder my desire to do BFL) 189. I know not so light. But Hey The week I started BFL I was 198 and I am on the 2nd day of my 3rd week (C1) It made me even more pumped. I am planning a C2 as well.
I WILL be down 3 to 4 sizes by May 8th!!
You know I had NO idea cottage cheese melted the same as regular cheese...mixed with some salsa..Yum! Boiled or baked potatoes with that stuff on them is WONDERFUL!
Happy Thoughts!!
Pixie
Closed Thread