General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Herbalife weight loss challenge?

Has onyone had any experience with this? It's a 12 week program sort of like Biggest Loser where you pay $35 up front and the "pot" is split between the 3 people that lose the biggest percentage of their body weight over 12 weeks. It's sponsored by herbalife, but you don't have to use herbalife. I am likely joining a group tonight, but really wish it weren't sponsored by herbalife. I have no intention of using that product and am worried that I'll be sitting through a sales pitch every week for $12 weeks. However, a friend of mine in another state did a very similar group, though hers was private, not affiliated with herbalife, and she has won the pot for 2 challenges in a row and lost 45lbs in the last 5 months. As far as I can tell there's nothing similar around here other than the herbalife sponsored one.
I would love to hear from anyone who's had any experience, good or bad, with this program.
Thanks
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #2  
Male, 27, Boston MA

S/C/G: 236/214/190

Height: 5 foot 10 inches

I was recently looking at this as well. It sounds like it was created to compete with all the P90X ads since they are direct competitors and it happens to be a 12 week program.

They probably won't hard sell you on joining but rest assured all the reciples and info will be about herbalife and they will certainly show you the benefits of using herbalife over anything else.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing since it's ultimately your decision. Just make sure the $35 isn't for anything else and that there are no conditions that need to be met.

If you have to sign something I'd be weary.

Last edited by DeJNow; 04-27-2010 at 07:31 PM.
DeJNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #3  

Thanks for replying! I hadn't heard of the P90X challenge.

I went to the first meeting last night. Well, it was week 3, but my first one. I was pleasantly surprised. They had herbalife tea made and encouraged everyone to have some, and definitely mentioned their products thoughout, but the majority of the information was on sound nutrition, etc. The group leaders are incredibly upbeat and motivating too.
I did have to meet with my "coach" today to figure out BMI, etc. (etc. being HERE was the sales pitch). I told her I didn't want to use herbalife or any other products but do it the old fashioned way. She was bit negative in that she made comments like "the winners all do herbalife" and "people fail when they do it on their own" BUT that meeting is over and if the weekly meetings go like the first, I still think it will be motivating. I'm down about 50lbs and have just stayed here for 2 years, I need to get moving down again!
I'd love to hear from anyone else!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #4  
Male, 27, Boston MA

S/C/G: 236/214/190

Height: 5 foot 10 inches

Wow that's great congrats on the weight loss!

Yeah if anyone would be negative it would be the "coach" because they are who you would be placed under if you did join or buy Herbalife in a typical MLM system, but every coach for every company is different.

Saying every winner uses Herbalife doesn't sound like very sound ways of recruiting though, anyone with common sense knows there's tons of ways to lose weight.

I will actually be with one of their competitors soon (beachbody) because I've lost the most weight on that system and love their products, but I can tell you that Herbalife is a stand up company with a good reputation.

The unfortunate thing is they can't control every coaches recruiting methods or true motives. Hopefully you win though so you can prove every winner doesn't need their product!
DeJNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 AM   #5  

Thanks! Good luck to you in your competition! I find a good competition very motivating!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #6  

Default Weight Loss Challenge

I have been teaching the 12 Week Challenges for 2 years now and it has been a wild ride! I love it so much.

I have had people that exercise like crazy, do Weight Watchers, Atkins, Sugar Busters, watch what they eat, and lots of other programs and of course we have Herbalife girls and guys. I have also had a winner that just did their own thing and that works too. Everything works as long as you are consistent.

The registration fee is based on a recommendation by Herbalife. Our is structured to give $10 to a children's charity, $4 for admin fees, and the $25 to the cash prizes for the top 3 winners of the challenge. It may be different for your challenge. Most of the challenges also offer a 12 Week Free Nutrition Class so if you don't want to put your $ in the pot and win the $, then you can still attend for free.

I love the challenges because we get to see such a transformation in people when they learn or relearn some of the basic nutrition principles that make such a huge difference. In our classes, the accountability piece is what is helpful to most people. Plus we make it lots of fun zumba, beach ball, hiking, etc. It really builds a social atmosphere and everyone becomes such great friends.

I hope you get the chance to be in one of the challenges whereever you live.

~LeAnn
AK Weight Loss Challenge
akgirlnextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote