3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Genetically modified soy???

Old 03-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #1

S/C/G: 204/203/150

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Genetically modified soy???

A friend who sells Herbalife has been trying to get me to try their products. Knowing there is soy in their shake mix I asked her if it is GMO on non-GMO soybeans. When she called their distributor information line the lady had to talk to her manager. The manager told her that certain products contain GMO soy but they couldn't specify which one.

I have only heard that GMO soy is bad but does anyone know anymore about why?

Back on Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

A lot of people try to avoid genetically modified products in general. From the vegetables, fruits and grains we buy to the meat people buy that is fed with GMO produce.

I personally try to avoid GMO foods because I am a bit wary about my food being genetically modified. We really don't know the effects.

The likelihood that you are eating GMO food is very high unless you grow your own food, buy only organic non-GMO foods, buy packaged foods that specifically note non-GMO ingredients, etc.

As for soy specifically, I haven't heard anything but I think it is an overall concern with GMO foods.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/191/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is no scientific evidence that genetically modified foods are bad for the body, or even different as far as how your body digests and uses them. Some people choose to avoid them because they believe adequate studies have not been completed to ensure that these foods are safe. Other people are satisfied by the studies which have already been done. If you are interested on deciding whether genetically modified foods are something you want to avoid, there is plenty of information out there on the web.

It is not universally accepted that GMO soy is "bad", so unless you have personally evaluated the evidence and decided it isn't for you, there is no need to avoid it.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #4

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

The evidence is not out there as to whether or not GMO's are bad (at least not that we are being told of.) That being said, Japan and the EU do not allow them in their food supply. Personally, I get frustrated with things like this because they don't do enough studies and then come to find out 20 years down the road that something is bad (not always, but most often.) I've never understood this method of approval. Not to mention that the companies that typically create GMO seeds throw a lot of money at lobbyists and the USDA. I don't see how the government can have an unbiased opinion in these cases.

I think the most frightening thing about GMOs is what they do to other crops and the environment. They are very invasive and can contaminate crops that are grown in the same areas. Plus, those that are roundup ready are heavily sprayed.

I think you should research and make the decision that is right for you. We all have differing opinions and what is right for me may not be right for you.

Myself I try to limit my exposure to GMOs as much as possible, but there is so much GMO corn, canola and soy in our food supply that it might be nearly impossible to never eat any. So many food additives use GMO crops and you'd never know my the names of the additives.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/191/175

Height: 5' 8"

I just want to point out that ALL non-organic soybeans, whether roundup-ready or not, are heavily sprayed, as weeds are notoriously hard to control on soybeans.

Roundup Ready soybeans did increase the use of Roundup, but simultaneously decreased the use of imazethapyr, another herbicide commonly used to control weeds on soybeans. Both roundup and imazethapyr are considered by the EPA to be non-toxic and non-carcinogenic if eaten (unless you ate an obscenely large quantity...think 20 lb bags full).

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #6

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

sort of off topic but I just wanted to tell you the herbalife shakes taste great!! The vanilla tastes like a milkshake.

new years goal 225 acheived Dec 16
valentines goal 213
Purim goal 199
Passover Goal 190
Cheese cake day June 8 goal 175
Independence day goal 167
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.