General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S-194/C-182/G-135

Height: 5'3"

Default grrr - stupid scale.

Well I joined LAWL about 2.5 weeks ago and have been following along great. I lost 8lbs in the first two weeks. Then this week I have gained .2 even though I have been going to the gym exercising every night and doing between 35-45 mins of cardio. The machine says I'm buring an average of 250 calories a day.

The only thing the counsellor could guess was that I eat too many eggs, I have a serving a day, and cheese every day. I have cheese because I have IBS and can't have a big ole bowl of yogurt or it is bad news. I follow the guidelines for cheese though.

Now I'm just bummed. I was hoping for at least -1 this week considering how much exercise I've been doing.

The lemon water is really gross and I had an upset stomach after so I really would want a different alternative to that for trying to flush out any water, does anyone know of anything?

Anyone else ever have this problem?
betty big bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Oh the scale......we love to hate it don't we? Little devil

I struggled w/ the scale constantly my 1st month. I'd be so mad 'cuz it wasn't moving how I would like it to. The people on this forum put into perspective for me.

8 lbs in 2.5 weeks is HUGE! Your body is adjusting to this loss, checking in, making sure you are okay and not starving to death. It is totally normal to stall or even go up a bit from time to time.

I always found when I'd plateau for a while it was like I was preparing myself for a huge loss. I'd go in and be down like 3 lbs after holding steady for a week or so.

The COD's told me the eggs thing too, or I was eating too many carrots, blah, blah, blah. I never found it really made a difference. Weight loss is a very simple thing: you have to use more calories than you consume. And you are doing just that.

Are you weighing/measuring all your portions? Make sure your not getting any extras in there.

Try upping your water intake. I'll drink a few extra glasses when I plateau. Or add 5 more minutes to your exercise routine. That might be enough to get things going for you again.

You're doing great and the weight WILL come off if you continue on this track!

Last edited by ChefsGirl; 04-02-2008 at 01:48 PM.
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #3  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/130ish

Height: 4'11"

I just started LA Weight Loss 1 week ago..and so far since I have been on the plan I lost 2 lbs. You losing that much weight in so little time is GREAT!!! You should feel very very proud!! I think that if you hit a spot where you stop losing weight.. its' perfectly normal. Just continue what your doing, keep exercising... Don't give up!! You'll definetly start losing again soon!

Last edited by Shorty1985; 04-02-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Shorty1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #4  

Thanks Jill and Tiffany. You made me feel better. I probably have PMS or something which makes me cranky.

I'll hopefully see a better week next week.

H
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #5  

Oh if it's PMS you DEFINATELY won't see the scale move for a few days. I always go up at least 2 lbs........sucks!

But it's gone plus some in a few days if you stay on plan.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #6  

Thanks Jill - do you see the scale rise even if you drink all the water?

Well as if having a period wasn't annoying enough, now it has to tick me off this way too. ha ha

Oh well, hopefully next week I'll be ok. The counsellor found an extra fruit serving listed in the diary I had the other day by accident but I didn't think that would have been enough to cause a gain, especially since I've been exercising.

Oh well - all par for the course I guess. I was just enjoying that 4 pound loss a week ride so much I didn't want to get off.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #7  

Yep, every stupid time I see a gain. I think most of us do.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #8  
Cecilia

S/C/G: 205/Check the Ticker/155

Height: 5'2

Betty, I just wanted to add that I always see a gain during TOM as well. So it is normal. Sometimes I think about not going to WI during that time. But I always do it's frustrating. But it's nice when you see a drop afterwards. ha! Just stick to it! You will see results!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #9  
LAWL,nursing,red,no lites

S/C/G: 168/143/135 pre baby stats

Height: 5'1"

Betty -
Some people have luck w/ drinking crystal light lemonade instead of the hot lemon water. You could maybe give that a try the next time you feel you're retaining water. Also when I drink hot lemon water I have to add a packet of splenda or there's no way I can choke it down. I don't think the COD recommends doing that but it works for me.

Like Jill said, during TOM most of us all see a gain. I'm usually up 1 or 2 lbs the week before and the week of, so really I only get two weeks a month to see a weight loss.
dawn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Betty,

Asparagus works to clear out water retention also.

TOM weight gain, I've seen as much as 7 pounds, which believe you me, makes a person jump off the scale and not go near it again (I believe the associated cravings for salty foods is to blame for such a large upswing though, darned pickles).

Lots of things will affect your weigh in. What time of day you weighed in, what you were wearing. Jeans can be deadly, those things weigh an extra pound or two, and you might just be upsetting yourself over the weight of your clothes. Now when I was in weight loss, I went a little over the top weighing all my clothes and picking the lightest things (wore a lot of sweaters that I took off for weigh in).

Jill is totally right, weight comes of in weird ways. Hold steady for two weeks and then be down 5 pounds in the 3rd week. Average it out and it is good, but sitting there looking at a couple of weeks with no weight movement, well that is frustrating.

Also it is very normal when you start exercising to retain a little water and gain a couple of pounds. I have decided that my muscles get kind of inflamed temporarily and hold a little water. So often when you are thinking you are going to lose extra weight because you were so good exercising, you don't. The thing is that you probably lost more FAT then you would have if you didn't exercise and it is the fat loss that makes you smaller and healthier and look better.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone!