General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194.6/194.6/163

Height: 5.5

Question Family Doctor's help (Meridia)

Hello Everybody,
Since (again) I gained couple pounds I decided to ask my family doctor what to do. I am frustrated, discouraged and ... desperate. She went through my journal, weighed me, measured me, spoke to me about my food choices, etc. I must say I was very surprised by how thorough she was. And then she put me on Meridia. I am supposed to keep up the journaling and eating according to my plan (plan 2) and my exercising (swimming and elliptical), and we will see how that goes. I started yesterday. My 1st check-in is in 2 weeks to make sure my blood pressure doesn't raise (which supposedly is common while on Meridia) and if there is any progress.

Does any of you ever took Meridia? Any comments? I will appreciate anything.

Now I am going to go and update my stats
apple76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #2  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hmmm, I have not tried Meridia. Keep us posted on your progress. I would be interested to know.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #3  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

I'm curious about how this is going? I'm hugely skeptical and wary of weight loss drugs- but I haven't read up on this one.

How is it going apple?
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #4  

So far so good, knock on the wood. The only side effect I have is dryness in the mouth but drinking water helps. I follow the plan but I do not eat full portions. I get full very fast. 1/2 cereal + 3/4 c yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1/2 apple, etc. Few bites of food gives me the feeling of fullness. Which is what I needed I guess. My first week on Meridia is tomorrow. I should weigh in I suppose. I will.
I am seeing my family doctor next week, to check my blood pressure and the weight loss progress.
I guess I am glad I do not experience any side effects that would prevent me from taking it.
I'll keep you posted.
And I just want to mention: it's not a "magic pill" - it's a help added to staying on plan and exercising. Nothing's easy I guess
Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #5  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Very interesting-keep us posted!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #6  
Laurie

Height: 5'8"

Apple - how is the Meridia working for you? I've been wondering about it. Has it helped curb your appetite? Any side effects? Just wondering. Thanks.
chiquita623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #7  

The end of 1st month is approaching (this Friday) and I have lost almost 5lb, so nothing really BIG, yet - have I lost 5lb every single month - I'd be at my goal weight a long time ago! So, I am going to say: I like

Side effects are minor, really. Mouth dryness, occasional headaches, but no spikes in blood pressure or anything else.

I does effect appetite. You do feel fuller faster and don't feel that urge to eat mindlessly in the evening, as you feel full, rather than "almost full - I'll have a bite anyways."

I'll see how it goes. Although I must admit I am very tempted to stop taking it and see if I got used to eating less or not......... It is $140 for a month supply, my insurance does not cover it
Old 03-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Interesting - since I do have so much to lose I have contemplated asking my doctor for some help.

My biggest worry is that I have issues w/ insomnia. Have you had any problems w/ sleeping or anything?
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #9  

no, not at all. But just FYI: I am a person who can fall asleep at any given time of a day and sleep like a baby for 2-3 hours, even after I just slept all night. I sleep on the bus on my way to the subway, then I sleep on the subway, only the pool water wakes me up

Jokes aside - I am a sleepy head, so even if Meridia did interfere with my sleep pattern I'd be ... "normal" worst case scenario.