General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethbeth View Post
Am I really obese?

According to the SlimFast website BMI calculator I am "obese". According to the calculator I will cease to be obese when I hit 182. Then I will be "overweight". I will not be "appropriate" until I hit 151.
First, I don't feel obese. I am definately overweight, but obese sounds a little strong. Second, is it true that I have to get down to between 115-151 to be labeled "appropriate"? I was thinking 160 would put me at a pretty nice weight.

What do you think? How do you determine what your goal weight should be? Do you agree with the BMI calculators?

Just wondering. Hope you all have a great day.
Beth
Beth,
I personally DO NOT believe the BMI calculators. They are just a tool, and a good measure for the general population, however, I know that I have never personally felt obese at my current weight.
According to most charts, I am 2lbs away from being "overweight" but slimfast tells me 4lbs.
so... the other week i bought my first pair of size 8 pants. how much of that is vanity sizing i don't know.. but i don't feel obese. my goal weight is still within the "overweight" category. i'm fine with that because i know how good i'll feel and look and that is all that matters.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #122  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

ok...I know we said we were going to start a weekly weigh in thread...well..I'm too hung over to be the one to start it, so when I'm more sober tomorrow, I'll come back and post once good ol T starts it...or beth...y'all are both sooooo active these days!!

Anywho...I'm holding at 170lbs...but that is because I've essentially taken this week off ...Monday I'll be back full steam ahead...I can't complain cause even though I'm still a bit wasted from last night...I haven't gained any weight...and I've eaten like a cow this week...but I'm not really caring about that right now...anyways, have tons to fill you ladies in on and have lots I want to say...but mom is waiting for me to get her and drive 3 hours to the Strawberry Festival...sounds healthy right??? Sure...strawberry shortcake, milkshakes, chocolate dipped...ugh...trouble...but I like it

See you all tomorrow, have a great day...I will make time to catch up asap!!!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #123  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone,

We're getting really busy here. This week has gone reasonably well - scale at home says I'm down, except Thursday, when I had a blip up - of course that was TOPS day. So although the scale at home has me down a pound and a bit, I'm not changing the ticker until next week when it hopefully shows up at TOPS. Eating has been going really well and I've been feeling good about it too.

bethbeth - I use the BMI charts as a tool, to help me pick a goal and to see how things are versus average. I find them useful that way, but I'm only really going to define myself as having reached goal once I am happy with how my body looks/feels/performs etc. If that's above or below the goal I've currently selected, then so be it. I think you have to be happy with how your body is, if you feel the BMI charts unrealistic for you, then you are probably right. After all, we are all different. As for the ticker weight seeming a big jump - you can always do as you did before, and set your ticker for a smaller jump, then readjust it as you go. My goal is actually below my ticker end point, but I don't want that staring me in the face so I am keeping the ticker at 20lbs.

karmuz - I too have size 8 pants (actually my best fitting jeans), although I am sure they are larger than the old 8s in my closet (which are not stretchy and do NOT fit right now). I don't really care about the numbers, they are as useful (or not) as the BMI. It felt good when I bought them but since then I have bought other clothes in 10s and even a size 12 dress that fits perfectly. It will be a major event for me to get back into the old 8s but otherwise it's just another number...

Amanda - a week off now and then is OK. You've been going so hard since September. It's good to know that you can maintain too.

Tamara - we had a bunch of snow too - on Thursday, but it's all gone again now, back to ice on the sidewalks. DH is going to Calgary today to help his brother move to another house, so it should be OK to stay on plan for me with just the boys.

Breakfast time now and all the boys are hungry...
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning everyone! Just a quick pop in this morning. I did lose a pound this week so I wanted to get that posted so I can account for it! I have changed my ticker and it felt good to move it down --- even if it was just a pound! Be back later!!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote