General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 07:34 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down PMD* #75 - Prevention Millennium Diet

This Diet is currently being promoted on newstands as the Prevention Healing Diet.

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42
fat
grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine
Old 12-18-2001, 07:50 AM   #2  
Chick

Red face Goodmorning,

I'm up early this a.m., I'll be meeting my mother in a few minutes to go get the tree. I am running out of time! I think the house looks worse than when I started and tomorrow I have to start cooking. Oh well, half the fun is complaining!

Hey, more important things to talk about here. Did you guys notice that this is our 75th thread. That marks quite a committment on our part don't you think? I have been posting on this thread since Jan. 2000 and will be starting my 3rd year of PMDing on the first of Jan. I have never been able to stay with a program nearly so long. After years of struggling with it, I feel I have found the lifestyle change all the diet books talk about. I couldn't be happier with how this diet makes me feel or with how effective it is when I take it seriously, which actually is most of the time. Sometimes I really work it, and sometimes it is my beacon that I don't stray to far from even though I am lost in keeping strictly to the diet.

Alice, your winter wonderland sounds very Christmasy. Hope you make it to the dentist and that it is no where nearly as bad as your anticipations. I am like a kid and would be wishing that I could postpone it! I'm a big chicken when it comes to dental work.

judi, how is your baking coming along? I am asking D to make macaroons for the party. We have never made them, but I think they'll be yummy. Tomorrow when my girlfriend comes over we are going to make tamales. Nouveau tamales, vegetarian and lite. We'll make mushroom and sage and blackbean and corn, and a sweet tamale with dates. We are also going to make a traditional tamale with pork and wrapped in banana leaves from my Frida Kahlo cookbook. I'll let you know how this adventure in cooking turns out!
Old 12-18-2001, 12:03 PM   #3  

Angry Hello ledom & judi,

We got around 3" of snow overnight. It is so pretty outside with every tree branch covered with snow, and the pine tree branches touching the ground. There was a 2 hr. delay in the school opening, so our Dentist's office was open. I would rather get something like this over with instead of having it hanging over my head

ledom~You really sound very busy. You sound very adventurous in your cooking. How did the tree selecting go? Will you decorate it right away, or wait until your party and have everyone decorate? Now that I have started doing the PMD full time..and now that I am comfortable with eating 6 small meals, I cannot get over the difference in how I feel. I am not starving at meals. Like judi, I too have a hard time getting my fruit in, I only have 2 fruit servings a day.

judi~Have you finished baking those cookies yet?

Have a great day! Take care. Alice
Old 12-18-2001, 04:00 PM   #4  

Ledom, those dishes sound tantalizing. I like Frida Kahlo, once when I was in San Diego I saw a visiting collection of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera paintings. I have read a couple of biographies about her, fascinating person.

I bet your part of the world looks magical, all that snow. Alice, soon that dentist appt. will be behind you.

Our snow is melted.

The cookies are almost done. I have to roll out the sugar cookies (dough is made) and decorate them. It was more fun though when I had a little girl around the house to help decorate them. I still want to make macaroons too. Hazelnut ones. Then I am on to making the bread type stuff. I don't want to freeze it so I have to make it at the last minute.

On Friday we plan to go to the a botanical garden with the D and her BF. They have a beautiful light display, diff. every year. The gardens are called "The Van Dusen Gardens" and are in Vancouver.

Did I tell you when I was in the US I lost my entire wallet of cards and Id. I left it at an internet station, so now I have replaced the cards but it is more hassle with the govt. documentation like the passport etc. No money was in the wallet. I NEVER have cash just my bank card and cards so I didn't lose anything that way. I lost it in Tacoma.

That is about all that is new here. My WW friend is coming for lunch, we are going to have 0 point soup.

Last edited by judi; 12-18-2001 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:19 AM   #5  
Chick

Default Goodmorning,

judi, it would do my soul good to see a Frida Kahlo/Diego Rivera exhibit. I am so glad you got to. That is one real disadvantage to living in the hinterlands - hard to see the really good and famous exhibits. What an ordeal it must have been for you losing your wallet, I'm glad you are getting everything back in order.

Well alice, the closest thing I have seen to snow is a heavy frost and frozen dew. As a matter of fact those were the exact conditions yesterday when my mother and I went to cut our tree. It felt very festive and we got a great tree. It is really full, but not fat if you know what I mean. Kind of streamlined, but lots of branches to hold ornaments. D and I will decorate it ourselves. Hopefully tonight. Actually I will probably do it. Ever since I was a little girl decorating the tree was my job, I just loved it. Somehow that skipped D's genes, she enjoys watching me do it and she'll hang a few ornaments, but it still seems to be my thing.

I have been up a couple of hours and have gotten an amazing amount of stuff done. I went to the party last night and had a great time, but didn't drink and didn't eat too much so I am full of vim and vigor this a.m. I'll save the heavy duty partying for my house when I don't have to drive home. Anyway, as much as I have enjoyed all our social outings, I am glad they are over and I can concentrate on my house and preparations. My friend will be over at 10 and I have been doing prep work for the tamales. As a matter of fact I need to get back to it now. I hope you all have a great day and I'll check in tomorrow.

Oh, just one more thing. I haven't exercise in 2 days and I didn't exercise this morning either. It isn't that I haven't wanted to it is just that I have been so busy. I might get to it later today and I might not. I guess I just want to be accountable to you guys. I'm not worried, I don't think I have fallen off the exercise wagon and I don't think the rest is really a very bad thing for me right now either. It is just that it is really important to me and I plan to get back to it very soon and I feel just the slightest guilt over it.

Old 12-19-2001, 03:07 PM   #6  

Angry Hi,

We are having sunshine today, but it is to turn stormy tomorrow, but I don't know what we will get.

ledom, you have the right idea about listening to your body as to what it needs re: exercising. After all the hustle and bustle is over with, you will find the time to exercise. So, don't even have the slightest twinge of guilt. I haven't exercised either, but I have had good intentions. It was one thing after another and I just couldn't find the time. When things quiet down in another week or so, then I will get back to it. It sounds like your party will be a lot of fun.

judi, how horrible for you, losing your wallet with all your cards and ID. It must have been very frightening for you. I hope that you haven't had any problems replacing everything. Did you enjoy your lunch with your friend? Speaking of WW, I joined on line. They have a lot of tools to help you calculate your points, and you can also keep track of your points throughout the day. It's a lot easier for me this way than trying to figure them out for myself.

Happy cooking and baking to you both! Take care. Alice
Old 12-20-2001, 08:40 AM   #7  
Chick

Default Oh my achin' back!

Yesterday D, my friend, and I rolled 12 dozen tamales. 3 doz. each flavor. I am still cooking them off this a.m. By the end of the day I was wiped out, but we had a great time doing it. And mmmmmmm, we sampled the black bean/corn and the mushroom sage ones and the are fabulous. They'll be even better with the salsas. It is countdown time, my list has more things on it that seems humanly possible to get to but I know it will all come together. It always does. I hope to get all the really hard stuff done today so I can be somewhat relaxed tomorrow night. By then I'll be going on adreneline anyway.

I hope you guys are doing good and having fun. judi, are you ok? Haven't heard from you in a couple of days.

Last night I went to the store to buy more foil to wrap tamales in and finally succumbed to a box of Archway Cashew Nugget cookies. I just thought I deserved them. Usually by now I would have had 2 or 3 boxes and I made sure D ate bunches so there would be fewer for me. But nevertheless, I guess that box of cookies marks my slide down the slippery slope of christmas goodies.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:26 AM   #8  

Angry Good morning,

ledom, all that cooking!!! I would be totally exausted. The tamales sound YUMMY Everything will come together for a wonderful party. Did you get your tree decorated?

Hi judi, I hope things are ok with you.

Tomorrow I am having lunch with a friend of mine, the same one I have lunch with just about every week. We haven't seen each other since before Thanksgiving, so I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about.

If I am unable to post tomorrow, ledom, have a great party and a wonderful time, and I hope both of you have a great weekend. Take care. Alice
Old 12-20-2001, 12:43 PM   #9  

Hi! Sorry I haven't checked in. I have been in Vancouver. I thought I had better get everything I need for the season in case it snows and I won't be able to drive down my hill. You know how I like to stock pile, my friend says if there is ever a natural disaster she knows whose house to head to where she will be able to eat for a long while. I hope there isn't one but I like to be prepared for anything.

Alice, after those dentist posts I was inspired to get my 6 month checkup so I am going Jan. 4. Get it out of the way.

Wow, I wish I was going to your party Ledom. All those tamales! They sound scrumptious. But what a lot of work. Well, good for you. I know your friends will appreciate what you have done. Decorating the tree has been my job too ever since I was a little girl, so I usually do it alone. I enjoy it. It used to be my job to read out the presents and pass them around but now my D does it.

Alice, did you have a problem training Lacee to go do her business in one place? Bentley is whizzing near the papers but not on them, or just wherever...the kids don't know if they trained him incorrectly or if it is Bostons. What do you think?

Yesterday, I succumbed to the temptations of the cheese plate I had bought all these various types of cheeses to have over Christmas ( a real selection of English ones) so last night I sat up and read ("Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilcher) and ate cheese and crackers. I have managed to stay away from the cookies etc. I am not going to worry about it over Christmas too much. I have been doing ok by and large. I think that the PMD is becoming a way of life that I am doing automatically now without having to think about it as much as in the beginning.

I did some of my Christmas shopping online this year. It worked out OK. So far everything has arrived and looks good. It is a lot less stressful than the mall.

Nothing to do but wait for Christmas to arrive now. It is fun isn't it?!
Old 12-21-2001, 09:41 AM   #10  

Angry Hi,

The food that I was indulging with is finally gone, M&M's mixed with Cashews & raisins. I told DH that on Wed. we are going back full time to PMDing. I even went out and bought my sugar-free protein bars.

judi, we had an awful problem with Lacee in the whizzing department. She would go anywhere..the couch..our bed..etc. We had problems training all our other Bostons, except for Shamrock, but Lacee was the first to whiz on the furniture! When we got Lacee, there was about 6' of snow on the ground, so we weren't too worried about having her do her duties inside. We got wee-wee pads, which remind me of a HUGE-HUGE diaper. She would squat just on the edge, which is nothing but plastic, and it would roll onto the carpet. Some of her favorite places on the floor were NOT on the wee-wee pad When she was about 7 months old she came to realize that her duties were to be done outside. It was trial & error for awhile as we had to learn her signals when she wanted to go outside. She no longer goes inside, but she does piddle when she gets excited.
One thing the Vet told us to do. After the dog goes on the paper, or whatever else is used, take the paper outside and put it on the ground, then take the dog outside and let it sniff the soiled paper. If he gets his smell outside, it may help him realize he's to go out to do his duties. Maybe that might work for your D. I wish you D the best of luck. It does get frustrating, but eventually the lightbulb does go off in their heads. It took me catching Lacee whizzing on the carpet, chasing her around the house, (that looked cute), dragging her out from underneath the bed, yelling at her, then ignoring her for a few hrs.

ledom, how are the party preparations going?

I am off to finish up the loose ends of my Christmas shopping, and I am having lunch with a friend. Take care. Alice

Last edited by aleka; 12-21-2001 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:14 PM   #11  
Chick

Default Judi and Alice,

Big hugs to both you girls. You have been the sanity in my days the last couple of days. The one break away to the outside world. The kitchen is officially closed until party time thank god. I am bustling around tidying up now.

Petting my cat at bedtime last night was the most relaxing and calming thing for me. Pets are worth all the hassle aren't they?

Well, I'd love you to select some cheese for me judi, I bet you are good at it. My town is mid-size, but some of the gourmet things I'd love to buy are impossible to find, things like good cheese and good olives.

Hey, I'm not going to dawdle, but I do wish you were in driving distance because I'd love to be entertaining you tonight. Back tomorrow w/ a full report. Alice I'm with you, PMDing just makes me feel better and I am so anxious to resume exercise. I might be a little addicted to it.
Old 12-22-2001, 01:12 AM   #12  

Default Hi Alice & Ledom,

Alice, thank you for telling me about Lacee. Bentley is such a sweet guy and my D. says he wants to please so much so it is awful to have to scold him. He lives on the 8th floor of an apt. so he can't go out. They have to sneak him in and out because it is a no pets apt. When he is at my place he is very good and knows to go to the back deck. He was very FAST to learn "Do you want a cookie?" (dog cookie, of course) He is such a cutie, I can't wait to have him when the kids go on their little trip. They are the most adorable dogs aren't they?!!!

I agree with you Ledom, pets are well worth the small hassles. Marley is so nice to sit with and watch tv or read. It is just so relaxing. I couldn't be without a dog around the place.

Well, we want to hear ALL about the party. I bet it will be such fun!!

I got some Christmas moola from FIL & BIL so today I hot footed down to a gallery and bought a B/W photograph. It is very intriguing. It is wet pavement with a long shadow walking out of the right side of the frame. It is called "Worry". It is the first edition of five prints. I love range of tones from white (light on the pavement) all the way to the blackest black. It is very well printed. SO I am just thrilled with it.

Hmmm, I am kind of mad at myself, had wine and cheese for a snack (a lot) then ordered in a pizza for supper. I made Creole almonds today and was tired of being in the kitchen that was the excuse anyway.

Not many days left then the BIG day. My DH is home for a couple of weeks. That will be nice.

Enjoy the weekend.

Hi Shebacat!
Old 12-22-2001, 09:33 AM   #13  
Chick

Default Goodmorning,

Well, it was fun. The tamales were well worth the effort if appreciative friends are an indication. I served them in courses. I don't think my guests had any idea what was coming at them as the different types came in waves. The Veggie Life tamale recipes are so amazing, they were really very light and each came with a matching salsa. But oh my what a bunch a cakes and sweets found their way into my house last night. And I had cookies for breakfast. THIS is what is deadly, not the little stolen foray into the pistachios. The cakes and cookies and nut breads. I've got to figure out a solution to this fast.

My party was a great success. But the night ended on a sour note after my guests left. D also had some friends over and I made one cry when I wouldn't let her use my computer to check her e-mail. I don't know, it is just my personal space. I asked her nicely (the friend) and she argued back with me in front of departing guests getting coats out of the computer room. I didn't care if I hurt her feelings after she argued with me and D thinks I'm awful. AND, even more unsettling - one of her other friends sat on the end of D's antique bed and cracked the post and broke the cross post. It is the bed my parents bought me when I was a teenager and for 30 years I and my D have known not to sit on the end of the bed. D feels terrible about it and defensive at the same time. SO, after the party there was a bad scene with D; though we did manage to get over being mad before going to bed, we were still both upset. SIGH! Motherhood, the ups and downs. Being tired didn't help. In the scheme of things those incidents are not that important but last night at midnight they took on a life of their own. Thanks for letting me unload.

Back to the lighter side. Not much of a mess left to clean up but I want to do it and move on to the REST of my vacation. Both the literal REST and the things I want to do. Work in my darkroom is big on the list. One of my graduate professors, that was such a good teacher for me, came last night and I dragged him down to the darkroom to see what I had been working on - the kayak photos. He was very encouraging and had some great comments for me. AND JUDI-new art for Christmas. You are a girl after my own heart. Your image sounds very intriguing. Congratulations.

This morning I am going to package leftovers for the freezer and plan my Christmas Day menu. Finish wrapping packages and just do what I want for the rest of the day.
Old 12-22-2001, 11:49 AM   #14  

Angry Hi judi & ledom,

I am officially done with my Christmas shopping. It really feels like I have accomplished something. Now...I have to wrap it

ledom, your party sounds like you all had a great time. It is too bad that it did end somewhat badly. But, you were right not to let her use your computer to check her e mail. Where she was in your home, she should have gone along with your wishes. That is awful about the bed, I know how heartsick you must be about it. That is wonderful that you had such good comments made about your photos. You must have gotten quite a lot of good photos while kayaking. Yes, pets are well worth the hassle. They are so much company, and it is a joy to come home to a rousing greeting! I hope you get some much needed relaxation over your vacation.

judi, NEW ART WORK how exciting!!! The shades sound absolutely beautiful. Lacee also knows the word "COOKIE" We actually have to spell it. If she ever learns to spell, we are in trouble She also knows walk and ride. For some reason she does not know the word "NO". That word falls on deaf ears. I really dislike scolding Lacee too, and it breaks my heart when I ignore her whenever she does something really..really naughty.

I hope you both are enjoying your weekend. I'm off to finish wrapping presents. Take care. Alice
Old 12-22-2001, 01:12 PM   #15  

Default Mornin' friends

Ledom, I agree with Alice the girl should have respected your wishes in YOUR home. Computers are personal things anyway. Her arguing with you was the height of bad manners too. D. will get over it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But those type of things are unsettling. Such a shame too after your nice party.

The party sounded great. Maybe when things are a bit less rushed you could post the recipe for the veg. tamale. As for the cakes and things...hey, it is Christmas

Alice, Bentley doesn't understand "No" either. Come to think of it neither does Marley though he is turning into a very well behaved gentleman...he used to be a hooligan but he is 56 in dogs years now, so he is getting very nice manners.

It is a bright sunny day here. The DH and I plan a walk. We have no snow but the weather forecast is clear for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day.

I have finished my wrapping of presents. I stayed up late last night reading "Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilcher. It is a good book for this time of season, just a nice gentle read and I recommend it if you haven't read it.

Enjoy the day and the decorations.
Closed Thread