General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 08:01 AM   #1  
cookies are for browsers

Smile Perfect Weight (Chopra) #2

Starting thread #2...

This thread is for people who are following the principles outlined in Deepak Chopra's book Perfect Weight.

Just for newbies, I'm also sticking fairly closely to the WW points plan; usually my day will include about 25 points.

Jennifa
216/202/170
Old 11-27-2001, 08:56 AM   #2  
Halloween Girl!

Talking Keep it up!

Jennifa,

Keep up your good work! The hardest part of anything is going inside yourself to find the answers.

You are on a very different type of health quest: no one is handing you a list of things you can't eat, telling you when to eat it and how much. You are becoming an instinctive eater and I applaud you

If I may stick my nose in your business -- you would get more action from lurkers if you explained a little bit of what the program is about. Ayurveda is still not mainstream and all the views your thread gets are from those curious about the lifestyle.

I have the book somewhere; bought it years ago and found I was a Pitta with a smidge of Kapha (sinus and allergy). Most programs WOW you with sensory overload of some type; this program is a very gentle, low-key approach to optimum health from someone who is at least qualified to talk about it. What I also appreciate is that Dr. Chopra keeps taking us back to the person inside ourselves to find key answers to our basic health.

You keep on going! You've done too well!

Claire
Old 11-28-2001, 03:28 PM   #3  
Halloween Girl!

Talking

Hey!

Found my copy of "Perfect Weight" and began re-reading. What a wealth of information -- and it's simple, although I've found it not necessarily simple to do, but a mindset change.

Had forgotten the pleasure of sipping hot water -- of enjoying the taste of food. How did I get to be 160 pounds overweight???

Think I'm going to incorporate the principles into my Slimdown/Body For Life plan. Makes sense. I looked at my tongue this morning -- ama city!!!

Please don't let this thread just die away. Many of us could benefit from Ayurveda's gentle teachings about being in touch with our bodies. I particularly like Dr. Chopra's quote about diet pills:

Quote:
It's easy to get the idea that there's a pill to solve every problem. New drugs are constantly being developed for everything from headaches to heart disease, and these are aggressively marketed to physicians as well as to the public. It's no surprise, then, that there are shelves full of diet aids in every pharmacy, and most people who are struggling to lose weight go through a phase of trying to find a chemical solution to their problem.
Quote:
Simply, put diet pills will not help you achieve your ideal weight. Many of them are nothing more than diuretics, which produce an illusory weight loss by causing the body to eliminate fluids. Most people experience disturbing side effects from these pills. All diet pills are much more likely to produce depression and anxiety than a long-term solution to the problem of overweight.
All I've ever lost from diet aids was a small swelling in my wallet

Anyway, thanks for this thread. It got me thinking again along healthy lines rather than the slavery of fat-burners, bars and replacement shakes...

Blessings!

Claire
279/276/119 "Little bones, lotta fat!"
Old 11-28-2001, 07:46 PM   #4  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Claire,

Glad you are here! I didn't post a whole lot on this thread because it's thread 2, and thread 1 has more info on the plan.

The reason I chose this plan is because it helps me cope with the reasons I overeat. ANYBODY can lose weight on ANY diet if they have the right motivation; it's the keeping it off that is the hard part. This is a healthy plan that helps bring the body and the mindset together for optimal health. Kind of a "re-set" button.

Just finished a successful fasting day.. woo hoo! Looking forward to tomorrow and eating only when I'm hungry. The hot water is great. I am still trying to like ginger. I like it pickled but I can't find it, even at the health food store.

Good luck!

Jennifa
Old 11-29-2001, 02:38 PM   #5  
Halloween Girl!

Talking

Hi Jennifa!

I like your thinking. I also agree with you completely.

Started this morning with hot water and had forgotten how much I like it. Also paid close attention to the food list and my stomach is quiet and not churning for the first time in years. Feels really good to have relief

It was interesting to re-discover all the things I ate on a daily basis and how they were ruining my system. I decided to cut out things that aren't helping me. The salt is the tough spot -- I thought pepper was what tore me up, but it seems to be salt instead! I'm still in search of Level 6 -- someone mentioned something about a "sigh" being the indicator. I'll try that.

Hope you have an awesome day. If I need to be posting somewhere else, please let me know.

Blessings!

Claire
Old 12-01-2001, 02:34 PM   #6  

Default Where's thread one?

I'm pretty new to 3FatChicks and was surfing around and found this thread. I am interested in reading more entries and someone mentioned that thread one had more information....how do I get there?

I never had a weight problem until after I gained weight during a pregnancy and everything went wrong with my job, my marriage, depression and I turned to food for comfort. Now I really do not know how to eat for hunger alone. It seems like that is secondary to stress, depression, anger are what key me. I look forward to a program that helps me understand those behaviors.

Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2001, 05:33 PM   #7  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

Default Hey!

Hi all!

On my work machine, my signon is Serrano. At home, it's waterbaby. I can never remember the work password to change it at home. Oh, well, either way it's still me

Nica, Jennifa started this forum and she can probably answer your questions. The plan is based on the Ayurvedic principle of Kapha dosha imbalance, which causes obesity and a whole host of other dis-ease... the thread with "more information" is above this one on the list.

The book we're all using is "Perfect Weight" by Deepak Chopra. He outlines a program for balancing the body and restoring "Perfect Weight." The program is very, very inexpensive and consists of the book I just mentioned and the food you have in your house. He makes some recommendations for herbs, but you don't have to use them.

You might get the book from the library or see if it's available through half.com. I bought mine new and it was less than $8. Pretty good for a whole new lifestyle...

If you want in-depth information on Ayurveda and specifically obesity, use your search engine and look for "Kapha imbalance." From what I've found, Dr. Chopra's book pretty much outlines everything in enough detail to get going with the program. I'm finding that leaving out certain foods and making small changes are making a big difference already.

Good luck! Again, Jennifa or some of the others know more about this than I and can help.

Blessings

Claire

Old 12-01-2001, 07:26 PM   #8  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

Waterbaby, I remember your logon! Hope you are LOSING weight!

For those of you who don't have the book yet, (get it! use it!) the first 2 weeks are when you eat only when you are hungry. That means if you aren't hungry at lunchtime, guess what. You don't eat. So it can be a balancing act, but it helps. Then you have to stop drinking cold drinks - drink hot water instead. There is so much in the book that really can't be explained all on the thread, I'm not Dr. Chopra!! But most libraries do have it, so you should be able to read it.

I'm doing better, lost the TOM water weight plus a couple so far, I think. I was up to 216 at Thanksgiving and am now at 200. I do have to state that I often gain and lose that much water weight a month. Doctor doesn't know why but isn't concerned. I suppose I just have to deal with it. I am hoping that once I get to goal and maintain for a while the water problem will go away. Before you say anything, yes, I do drink a lot of water every day, and yes, I do limit my sodium intake. Just read the Philosopher's Diet - an interesting read but I don't know if I can be THAT strict! I suppose it's a matter of whether I am really ready to lose the weight.

Probably the hardest thing is the meditative eating. It is so easy for us to just cram food into our mouths while we are doing something else, it's time we pay attention to what we are eating...

Jennifa
216/200/170
Old 12-03-2001, 01:55 PM   #9  
Halloween Girl!

Talking It's me, waterbaby!

Hi all!

I don't know why, but I seem to be having NO problems with this WOE. I still eat somewhat past full (bad me! bad me!) but I drink my hot water and can really tell a difference when I eat something that is not in my best interests....heartburn, indigestion, etc.

I don't seem to be having any problem leaving sugar alone, either. The mindful eating is still a struggle, but I'll get there. At least I can remember what I had for lunch

I plan on getting some exercise today, for the first time in about three weeks. I hope to feel myself "bloom" from the inside out; that is, to start to regenerate my health and vitality.

Jennifa, thanks so much for starting this thread. I'm eating six little meals a day, but they all contain foods that pacify Kapha, so I feel as though I'm getting more quality out of what I eat.

Have a great Monday!
Old 12-05-2001, 08:27 AM   #10  
Viva la vida loca!

Hi all!

Still having a great time with this. My stomach is quiet and I'm beginning to think I may be rid of heartburn forever!

Was so used to drinking lots of water, only to find that it aggravates Kapha! When I don't drink so much, my body seems to be working better. Think I was also eating everything WRONG for the imbalance, too.

All you lurkers, c'mon and post. You've looked at the messages and seen Jennifa's wonderful leadership and her progress. Aren't you curious as to what this is all about? Make a couple of changes, improve your quality of life.

For my exercise, I'm following the Body For Life workouts. They're not easy for someone as heavy as I, but they get easier every time. And the feeling of accomplishment is worth every drop of sweat

Hope everyone is having a great day! Hope to see more posts soon!

Blessings!

Claire
Old 12-05-2001, 02:31 PM   #11  
cookies are for browsers

Talking I DID IT!!!!!

Hi Waterbaby (and lurkers)

I did it! I weighed in at 199 this morning. Pesky, pesky pounds!! Took a while for those to come off, but now I am under that big 200. A milestone.

I find that I do better at the minimum water range, too. I retain water like crazy and it helps me stay in a more dealable range.

I've been working out a lot, too, I'm sure that always helps!

see you thinner,

Jennifa
216/199 /170
Old 12-05-2001, 02:54 PM   #12  
Viva la vida loca!

Default YOU GO, GIRL!!!!

WOW!

Jennifa, you slinky thing. C O N G R A T S on your M A J O R M I L E S T O N E!!!!

The pounds ARE pesky for sure but you've broken a big barrier toward your goal!!! I am so thrilled for you!

I haven't stepped on a scale since Thanksgiving, so I don't know how much more I might've lost.

Folks, this program works and it's relatively painless. One of the cheaper deals on the market, no measuring, weighing, counting anything or keeping track of anything except not eating certain things. No gallons of water to drink; no funky supplements or "meal replacements" -- just plain food and water and your body's own wisdom.

Still doing without caffeine, carbonation and anything sweet, salty or sour. I don't miss it like I thought I would. A co-worker dropped three Andes mints on my desk after lunch. Normally I would have snarfed them up and never broken stride. I carefully picked them up -- and put them in the trash. That is a milestone for me!

Jennifa, you keep up your excellent work! It's paying off!!!

Claire
Old 12-05-2001, 04:02 PM   #13  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your encouragement! If you haven't weighed in since Turkey Day, I KNOW you must be down some pounds. Keep up the good work! Congratulations on the Andes mints. I just threw away a stale yet somehow still tempting bag of pretzels.

Yes, folks, this program is designed to get the body back in balance. It doesn't have a weekly meeting fee. Part of the reason I chose it is because it is something I can live with.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:53 AM   #14  

I will check out the library today for Deepak's book - like his other books....makes sense, balance is the answer for everything....

Will try the hot water tho, that's easy enough.

WW seems to be taking forever....and must cut way back on carbos....why do they make us feel warm, now that all that snow is here in Canada? Conditioning I guess, home made soup and a bagel.....

Good to be here.

Kermit
Old 12-06-2001, 09:05 AM   #15  
Viva la vida loca!

Default "Perfect Weight" on sale

Hi all!

"Perfect Weight" is available through http://www.half.com for $3.20 and up (plus shipping).

http://www.amazon.com also has it in their "used books" section for very little money, as well. It's amazing how much information is packed into one little volume.

Jennifa, this rusty old body is beginning to come back to life. I'm beginning to sleep a little better and that in turn makes me want to exercise. I've been eating raw oats with soymilk for breakfast and a bit of dried fruit, and it seems to satisfy me until lunch. The real trick though is the hot water. It sounds so yucky until you taste it and then it's pretty good. Unlike coffee or tea, I can drink it out of a nice cup and know it won't stain my teeth

I plan on weighing myself every day and then taking an average for the week. Plays less with the emotions and gives me a better picture of how I'm doing. Of course, the Pants-O-Meter tells a good story, too...

Welcome Kermie! Glad you're here. This program is amazing -- inexpensive, easy, and lifelong. Be sure ask questions when you have them

Have a great Thursday, all!
Closed Thread