Want to make a cheapie funky ornament?

• I don't know if any of you remember a TV show from the 80s and early 90s named The Home Show. That's where Carol Duvall got her start. Anyway, one year she showed us something to do with all those polystyrene cups (the smaller ones, not the take out soup size).

They can be leftover from a gathering, just rinse them out.

You will be working with them turned upside down. The bottom of the cup will become the top of the ornament.

Color them, paint them, decorate them however you wish. Just remember that whatever you do will shrink, so don't make it too small.

If you paint them, be sure they are dry before proceeding.

Preheat the oven to 425F.

PUNCH A HOLE IN THE TOP OF THE CUP NOW Remember the bottom is now the top.

Place the cup (still upside down) on some foil. I usually line my baking sheet with foil. Place it in the oven. If you have a window on your oven, you can watch them shrink! The kids love that part. Should take less than 3 minutes.

They will be HOT!

While they are cooling, snip some toothpicks apart. You will take some thread or string and make a loop. The toothpick will be on the inside of the ornament to hold the string. Hook the string to an ornament hanger and put it anywhere you wish.

I did this with some of the neighbor's kids. They loved it!
  • Mare...is this the clear plastic cups? Or white styrofoam?

I just pictured the clear ones because it sounds like "shrinky dinks" (remember those?)

Thanks,
    Linda
  • polystyrene is styrofoam. I never tried the plastic ones. I would think that it would NOT melt like shrinky dinks.

I did get Shrink-It and made alphabet angels with those. My students loved those as well.
  • Thanks Mare

I just might give that a try...didn't want to try the clear ones without asking first!

Linda