General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #16  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

I'm really, really glad to hear that you are taking a deep breath! You have alot of time ahead of you, and life experiences ahead, too. I think what you really might benefit from is really researching all of your options with respect to your future career. Once you know what you want, and what you have to do to get it, the path ahead will be clear. I think it is easy to look ahead and see oneself as fabulous in the career that was chosen, but harder to forsee the work that you have to do to get there.
At the risk of being cliche, it IS true that anything worth getting requires alot of hard work, or else everyone else would be there right now!
If I were to be in your shoes, I would:
1. decide on 2 or 3 career paths
2. research the colleges in Quebec, Ontario, and New Brunswick (at least!)
3. find out the prerequisite courses, and obtain them
4. add a couple of others at the Grade 12 level to make my application competitive
5. with respect to fitness and health careers, research at the YMCA to see if you can volunteer a bit or shadow a fitness professional for a bit to see if you like the job (THIS LOOKS GREAT ON AN APPLICATION, AND ANYONE YOU WORK WITH WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE A REFERENCE!)
6. study hard, apply to as many places as possible when the time comes
7. sit back and see what happens.
Sounds pretty uptight, but I think that by failing to plan, you actually plan to fail!!!
Keep us informed!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #17  

I think you should wait to go to college.
If you can't decide what you like and the classes are too intimidating for you right now (and I also got a hint of wanting *instant gratification* in your post), then wait to go to college.... work for awhile, live on your own, LEARN WHO YOU ARE, get a taste of reality....
Before anyone wants to flame me for that.... take my case:
I graduated high school in 99. I went to college right away, cuz thats what we're *supposed* to do (and we're supposed to know what we want to do for the rest of our lives when we are 17 or 18 yrs old??? I DON'T THINK SO) and I say that with MUCH SARCASM AND EYE ROLLING. I wanted to major in computer information systems because I was really good with computers. I went to school for half a semester and quit because I was tired of school and wanted a life. It was the best decision I ever made in my life; if I wouldn't have quit, I would have a degree that I don't want (which at the time I thought was Perfect for me). I returned to college in 2003 after working minimum wage, dead end jobs, learning what it means to make ends meet, and getting no respect for my efforts. I knew who I was, I knew I what I wanted; I was ready to make my life. Now, I'm one semester away from graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Nursing with a 3.8 GPA. The flip side to the story is that I swore up and down for most of my life that I would never be a nurse because it is horrible job and I didn't want to do what my parents did (both are BSN RNs)...and it ended up being the best fit for me. I am 100% certain this is where I was meant to be.
I go to school with too many people who: 1. expect to have college handed to them; 2. have no clue about what life is really like; 3. expect instructors to cater to their needs; 4. expect to make buckets of money immediately after graduation.
Frankly, they need to grow up. You might want to make a bunch of money, but you HAVE TO PAY YOUR DUES FIRST.
Seriously, you should live a little before making such a big investment and find out if you are really making the best decision.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #18  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I agree with what most people said...

I just want to make sure we tell you something... you don't have to have it figured out. I know you may want to, we all do.. but if you don't, that's okay. Work hard doing what you like and do your best with what you don't like... work for the good of others and for your good... and stay open to possibilities/opportunities. Overtime, things should become more and more clear... finding out and learning about ourselves is a big part of what this whole process if all about. And this learning knows no age boundaries.

good luck!
Closed Thread