General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #16  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I love to collect movies and I thought it was worth buying . So, I bought it. I thought it was sad. It would be horrible to love someone so deeply and not be able to be with that person because of what society deems as "normal".
Old 11-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #17  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Couldn't agree more.
I loved it, watched it alone.

It was no different for me than any other love story, about two people who desperately wanted to be together..but couldn't.

I really wanted a happy ending for them, to be together and in peace. It totally made me cry, which is high on my checklist for a good movie

Linda
Old 11-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #18  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

It made me cry too.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #19  
Pending Email Confirmation

I wanted to love this movie. I had no problem with the sex, I thought it was done tastefully, and Jake Gyllenhaal is one of my favorite people... the performance was fine, I just was disappointed in general with the time line and the story. I think that it was too hyped for one thing. I just didn't find their love to be believable. I guess they passed over the part where they fell in love, and just all of a sudden they were in love. I hate when movies do that, we're just supposed to believe that people just instantly and magically fall in love and that just doesn't do it for me.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #20  
LLV

I thought it was beautiful.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 AM   #21  

Height: 5'9

I found this to be a heartbreakingly tragic story, and I cried very, very hard.

I might come at this from a different perspective from some, as I am bisexual and had several long term relationships with women before I wound up with my husband. Even today the pressure from society is horrible, and my girlfriends were always just my "friends" to my parents, often to my work colleagues, etc. I can't imagine if, when I met my husband, we would have had to hide our love and not be together publicly. I felt the emotions in this film very deeply, obviously.

I'll agree that parts of the movie were drier than others, but overall I absolutely loved the movie.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I really didn't like this movie.

I thought the romance was totally unbelievable-- they go from just friends one moment to gettin' it on the next and at no point do you get the impression of them falling in love. I think the movie as a whole was very homophobic, accentuating their promiscuity and lack of commitment (long-standing and hurtful stereotypes of gay men) and all in all saying that their love was bad and shameful. I just can't get behind that.

Furthermore, the pace was so slow that I was incredibly bored the entire time. "There are these cowboys, and they're gay" is not a plot, it's an element, and there actually does need to be a story too, people!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #23  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Me and my DH went and saw it at the cinema and we both really liked it.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:50 PM   #24  
Searching for balance

S/C/G: 247/241.2/150

Height: 5'6 - Female

My partner and I bought the movie and watched it at home. I'm very suprised she was willing to watch it. We both thought it was good but the sex did shock us. There was no romance, no build up. We both thought it could have been better in that sense. I told her that it would like she came up to me, grabbed my ears, wrestled me to the ground and went at it. But, being a lesbian couple it is nice to see a "main stream" movie about a gay couple and to see them portrayed in a way other than the stereotypical way that most people view gay men.

Shannon
Closed Thread