General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default How did you meet your SO?

I am feeling a little nostalgic today. My anniversary is coming up for the day DH and I started dating (its been 7 years). (our wedding aniversary is in Aug just celebrated our 5th).

Our story: We actually MET in kindergarten. We were in the same school together for 13 years. In kindergarten my mom would make me cry telling me I was going to marry him. We dated seriously in High School for about a year, but things got way to serious for being just 16. So we went our seperate ways. He got married to a girl right after high school and moved out of state, I went to college.

At the end of my Junior year in college I was heading home and my friend and I passed him on the highway. He followed us all the way to my house (about 15-20 minute drive), just to tell me he was divorcing and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the movies with him while he was in town. BUT as luck (bad) would have it My sister went into pre-mature labor and I was unable to keep my date.

Six months later I was home for thanksgiving and I was filling in at work and he stopped in to ask me to the movies again, but I had plans to go out with the girls. I told him I couldn't break my plans, but he could join us after his movie. He did. and we have been inseperable ever since.

We have 2 beautiful crazy children, 3 and 1; a house, a dog, and pretty close to the perfect family.

I just felt like sharing.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #2  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Your story sounds so sweet! Well I actually dated my DH's brother in high school, but then we went our separate ways. His sister thought we should meet and go out, and that's how we've been together ever since and now we have two beautiful daughters.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #3  
playin' for keeps

Man, I am SUCH a sucker for the mushy stuff! I love stories like that. Mine has a great punchline:

I met my boyfriend when he showed up at my door. How cool is that? You spend your whole life hearing that "You gotta get out there, Mr. Right isn't gonna just come knock on your door", and then he does. Hee!

Okay, really - I was going on a trip to Yosemite with some friends from church. One of the carpools was leaving from my house - my friend, myself and "the new guy". New guy and I have been inseparable ever since.

More stories, please! Did I mention that I love hearing this stuff??

cheers!
paula
Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My roommate in college dated my DH before she and I moved in together. I was afraid of him....(long story). Anyway, she had a stackable washer/dryer in her old apartment that we needed to be moved to our new apartment, so she called him to ask for his help. He borrowed a truck, brought it over, installed it and then we found out that we didn't have a plug in our basement (dumb college girls! We didn't even look first!) So, he offered to get us an extension cord. Of course, a regular one wouldn't do, we needed a heavy duty one. So he stole one from his parents! (Remember, we're all in college=read POOR!).

After this, we invited him over for a party. Then he invited us over for a party. Still, he wasn't my cup of tea.

A few months later, he called and asked me out to a luau. In January. In Salt Lake City (read SNOW and COLD). Remember, I'm still afraid of this guy. So I accepted--for both me and my roommate! No way was I going out alone with this guy!!! We went and had a great time (he had to pay for both of us). Afterward, we went to his friend's house and we went hot tubbing (indoor hot tub!). We (me and roomie) decided that we had such a good time, we should repay him for his kindness. So she and her boyfriend and I invited him for dinner. We all went and had a great time. We started dating--sort of.

Fast forward a couple of months, we're still dating and suddenly both of our roommates decide to move. Remember, we're poor, so we decide to move in together--with his friend from the luau. It was kind of like a reverse 3's Company (am I dating myself here?) We stayed there for 6 months, then he and I moved to our "own" place, then bought a house together a few months later and then got married a few months after that. We've been married now for 18 1/2 years and have 2 kids 2 dogs and soon to be 2 mortgages (another long story).
Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I met mine at work. I was the newly hired ER charge nurse. He came up to me and said "so, who are you?" I thought he was being cocky, so I said "I'm your BOSS". He was working part-time as an ambulance driver at the time. It wasn't til several weeks later that he came into the hospital in his Trooper uniform that I learned he had another full-time job. Man, he looked good. We became friends. Started dating 6 months later and married about a yr. later. Much to the surprise of our co-workers. We never let the people at work know we were seeing each other until a week before the wedding. We didn't want to get in trouble, because I was technically his Boss. But, they ended up not having a problem with it. We have been married 9 yrs. now. Have 6 children, 4 are his and 2 are mine. 2 grandbabies from his oldest daughter. 1 lovely spoiled dog and an ornery cat.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #6  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

I can't believe I'm the first one to post that I met my Honey on-line!.. Yup, in a chat room for BBW's lol.

Actually I had hardly spoken to him and I didn't know him well at all. It was the Holidays- he was kinda down. My girlfriend, who also hung out in the 'room' was having a get together for New Years. ( She lived about 30 miles away from me- and btw we are still the best of friends). I told Lee he should think about hopping in his car and driving up for it. Well...... he did. LMAO He and I and my friend were the only ones who actually showed up for the party but we had a wonderful time. Lee and I talked nonstop () for several days. He went home (900 miles) and we talked by phone. I visited him several weeks later and we made the decision that I'd move to Cali, and.... that was 5 years ago!!!!!

I've never done anything so impulsively in my life, but I'm sooooo glad I took that chance!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #7  

Ok, I'll be the SECOND person to admit I met my S.O. online. We actually met because I posted an ad on Craig's List saying that I was new in town and just wanted to find a friend to go to movies with, etc. Since CL is like a shark tank, I was inundated with responses. But from the moment I read my SO's first email to me, I knew he was special. I responded to 3 people out of the 25-30 that wrote, and only met one - him of course.

That was two years ago and our wedding is planned for fall of 2007.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Good question Jeni.

I met my dh because my then boyfriend wanted to go over and see dh roomate...I was in love at first site.

Oddly, that was the first time we "met", the first time i ever saw him i went to a concert and he was the door guy...he stamped your hand. I remember being there with my girlfriend and after he stamped my hand saying, "that guy is gorgeous, he can stamp my hand anytime" and us laughing about it because he was so "out of my league". (He is 5 years older than me and when you are 16, a 20 year old is so mature and "out of your league"...i mean he had his own apartment for crying out loud, ha ha.) Stranger than fiction, i ran into him a few years later at that room mates house and well...now we have been married 14 years, two kids, two dogs, one iguana, two betas. We are in bed surfing side by side on our laptops right now. Funny to look over at him and think what i am typing. Ah the memories.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #9  

I think I am third for meeting online! My DH and I met playing scrabble, got to chatting while we were playing and it went from there! We dated 2 years and got married in 2000.. still going strong and still playing scrabble on occasion lol
Old 11-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Met mine online. I signed up for ICQ and started adding people to my contact list from one of the categories I liked. He had accidentally signed up for that category when he joined, and he wasn't allowing new contacts. But my handle interested him and he wanted to find out who I was. Another gal I had added also became a good chat buddy. So she and a friend of hers, me and my now hubby, would all chat for hours in ICQ. We became really close friends then fell in love. We moved in together for awhile then married in 2000.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #11  
Future Belly Dancer

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'7"

That's me and David...ooooh, 2 years ago! Ouch. Our first Valentines day together. His hair is longer now and I am much fluffier.

I met David through his mom, actually. I worked with his mom in the same place and I really liked her because of her ecclectic spiritualism. I had seen David once when he dropped off lunch for her. Our eyes met and...nothing. I didn't think anything of him other than "Ah, that must be her son." And went back to working.

At the time, I was holed up with a rescue. By rescue, I mean a man who needed me more than he wanted me. I pitied him, so I took care of him...but he was a real loser. The girls at work decided to have a night out so I agreed to tag along. Plans got confused and I went to the wrong bar! Luckily enough, there was Betty, David's mother. She was there with her husband, another lady that worked in our office, and her son Paul. So I hung out with them for a little while. I was watching the cook close down the kitchen as I was talking to Betty, admiring his shapely behind. Turns out, that was David. So he came over to us and sat next to me and tried to talk to me.

I immediately dismissed him because he came on strong, trying to woo me in what ever weird way he thought was appropriate. (Spouting poetry, telling me I was beautiful. gag.) I shot him down before he could start and told him I was in a relationship. Well, we all moved to a different bar. Again, I was stuck next to David. He got pretty drunk and kept trying to hug me! G'ah! I left shortly there after.

I'll straight out tell you all that I did not feel any attraction to David at all. I thought he was weird and too forward. (He still is at times, to. LOL) A couple of days later, Betty told me how much he liked me. She was my friend and I didn't want to piss her off by telling her that her son was a psycho and sort of creepy. The only thing David had going for him was his backside and his crystal blue eyes.

Um, I went to his bar to pick up lunch for the office and I talked to him again as I waited for the food and...something inside me just caved and I agreed to meet up with him later. So I did. And I discovered how weird he really was! Turns out, he is a longmedicalword-schitsophrenic. He was diagnosed after a nearly fatal head injury. The head trauma sort of changed his brain chemistry. I almost ended things right then and there but I really admired the strength he has about his disease. He doesn't have full-blown symptoms. He is medicated. If he doesn't take his meds, he can get delusional. (Very, very bizzare theories.) He functions like anyone else just as long as he takes his meds and doesn't drink.

Long story short, I got rid of the moocher loser and started dating David.

I don't know WHY I have stuck with him after all the crap we have been through emotionally. David is an alcoholic. We broke up once over it because I couldn't stand him any more...my boyfriend was gone and crazy theory man was in his place. So he stopped drinking because he just loves me that darn much . He can have a beer now and then with the guys. He seems to manage just fine. Before, he had been drinking a 12 pack or more at night.

David is the last person I would have ever thought of being with. But, here I am. Our story is not really all that romantic. It's mostly funny. I do know that I absolutely adore him. He loves me for me. I love him for him. I simply don't know what I would do with myself with out him. Despite his quirks and malfuncitions and total lack of common sense (which frustrates me to no end! lol) I have found my nich, my partner for life, and my greatest love.

We are getting married next month.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's after 1 am in the morning and I'm tossing and turning and I get out of bed and of course come to my comp and then Jeni I find a great little question. Your story is too precious. Your kids are going to love that story as they're growing up. He really wanted you, smart boy. So you didn't mention - I'm sure there's a white picket fence around that house, if there isn't there sure ought to be. Awwwwwwww.

My very best friend throughout high school and beyond was getting married. I was about 20. For her bachlorette party a bunch of us girls went out and her fiance's best friend picked us up and drove us to the bar. It was a short ride, but we kind of had a little flirtation thing going on, nothing much. But that night we all slept at a friends house and I told my friends that I'm gonna marry that guy. And my friend says maybe not, he's got a girlfriend. Well a few days later we meet again at the wedding, he's all over me, but I'm the maid of honor and I didn't have much time for him. The friend fixes us up, we go on a double date with them, he makes a complete idiot of himself, I was sooo turned off. He insists on driving me home, I just want to get away from him, but he insists and he drives me home. Now we're finally alone together and the 40 minute ride was all I needed to turn it around. I'm still living at home, he comes in and we talk to the wee hours of the morning and that was it. He broke up with his girlfriend, who he says he was having mucho trouble with anyway. We get engaged 6 months later, married 9 months after that. Go on to have 3 beautiful daughters in just over 4 years.

By the way my "best friend" drops me like a hot potato the day we're engaged. She and my husbands best friend get divorced after 2 years, we'll be celebrating our 21st anniversary in March.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

On October 10th 1976, my friend and I hopped the fence at the drive-in and had to find a car to sit in (but of course). We knew one fellow from school and in his car was my future DH!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #14  
Addicted to potato salad!

In about 1997, my DH and I worked together, only he lived in Buffalo and I lived in Rochester. He used to call and order parts from me and after the order, we'd talk on the phone while I worked on my Excel charts and he drove from place to place on his cell phone...for like, an hour. We became fast friends. Problem was, he was married. I was not. I told his boss one day, "I may never get married, but if I do, I hope I meet someone just like (insert hubby's name).

ONE day, he called to order parts and told me his wife told him she wanted to explore being a lesbian and didn't want to be his wife anymore. So, I 'got the net' and reeled him in. She decided not be be a lesbian and is remarried to a different man. It took his divorce about 3 years to finalize and we got married less than a month after (I joked to the town office when we filed for our marriage license not to smudge the ink on the divorce papers as the ink may still be wet).

We'll be married five years in May...and our son will be six in December.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #15  

I met mine online too.

There was this quiz site that decided to add a dating section & if you were already a member & signed up for that too they gave you 3 free contacts. He was one of mine (and I was one of his) The computer/site tricked us by sending each of us a link saying that the other was interested.... Conveniently we replied to each other within minutes, lived a town apart, had a lot in common... we talked through the site for about a week, then on IM's for another week then met for ice cream. We spent every weekend together (and sometimes evenings too) for almost 2 years then got a place together. We've been living together and still happy (for the most part ) for over a year & a half now. (pic taken about 5 weeks ago)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized%20after.jpg (31.1 KB, 36 views)
Closed Thread