3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Anybody Interested in Starting a Book Club? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/97259-anybody-interested-starting-book-club.html)

rockinrobin 11-02-2006 08:27 AM

Anybody Interested in Starting a Book Club?

:book2: :book2: :book2: :book2: :book2: :book2:

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if any of you guys would be interested in starting a book club? I find the women here at 3fc to be highly intelligent and insightful, thought-provoking, funny and kind and I was thinking maybe we should or could start a book club. We'd obviously have to agree on a book and maybe have discussions every 100 pages or so. I think it should be something we all haven't read yet. So if anyone's interested come on over and maybe even start making some suggestions for books. I haven't read James Frey's A Million Little Pieces Yet and just got it from a friend. Just a first thought. I hope we can really get this going!

NurseMichelle 11-02-2006 08:45 AM

Hiya fedup!!!

I would LOVE to join a book club! Luckily, I'm a fast reader even if I have such a busy schedule. In fact, I wanted to read that particular book when it first came out and was all hyped up then lost interest when the "truth" was revealed. I hear it was a fab book though, we have a book club around work and they read that one too. I'll pop on over to the library this afternoon and see if I can pick up a copy.

So I am definitely IN! Hope we get lots of support!

nelie 11-02-2006 09:00 AM

Unfortunately I have little time for reading due to being in school and planning a wedding but I usually read a few pages before bed. I also have a LOT of books that I need to read. The book I'm currently reading is "The Other Boleyn Girl" and it is a pretty good book especially if you like fictionalized history books.

2frustrated 11-02-2006 09:01 AM

Oooh I've been meaning to re-read this, I will pop up to the library tomorrow and take it away on honeymoon... So should we set a date for discussion??

PS what was "the truth"?

I don't have too much time for reading - I'd probably read it in about 3 weeks :dunno:

4myloves 11-02-2006 09:02 AM

There is generally a book discussion going on in the Maintainers' Forum. Right now they're discussing Thin For Life, pretty much the way you've outlined here. There used to be a book discussion thread, but I don't know what happened to it--maybe that group lost interest? Could be still around somewhere and I just don't know about it.

midwife 11-02-2006 09:17 AM

The truth about Frey is that he sold and marketed his book as a memoir, but many significant parts of it were greatly exaggerated or made-up, and the publisher had to give people refunds because it was sold and marketed under false pretenses.

Authors currently shopping memoirs around to agents and editors are have a VERY hard time selling their books due to this scandal...so others have been hurt financially.

I'll keep an eye on the book club idea. I boycott Frey, but maybe I will jump in the next go-round.

rockinrobin 11-02-2006 09:37 AM

Yes, I heard all that stuff about Frey. But my husband just read the book and he reads at least 2 books a week. He said it was incredibly well written. He couldn't put the book down. He thought it was one of the best books he's ever read. I do beleive Frey went through all that stuff, but I do think he embellished it a bit. I think he's an idiot for not saying "based on my true life story" because he probably ruined what could have been an outstanding career, but I can see past that. Anyway I would like to read that book and I think we've got a few on board who would like to as well. I think we should give it another couple of days and see who else would like to climb aboard and then I guess we gotta make up some rules and stuff. This could be fun.

As for fitness books, I don't know about anybody else, but that's why I thought of the book club in the first place - I've got to get my mind elsewhere besides food and health if just for a couple of hours a week.

Clydegirl 11-02-2006 10:02 AM

Would like to join a book club. Haven't read that one yet ,kind of put me off after the truth came out. Will pop up to the library today and see if they have it.

2frustrated 11-02-2006 10:55 AM

I never even realised it was supposed to be based on "truth" anyway! I was surprised when it was. I just read the book and we didn't have any hype like that over here, or at least none that I was aware of. I truly love the book though. Must remember to check it out at the library.

fiddler 11-02-2006 12:02 PM

Count me in. "fed"up, maybe you should make some kind of ground rules for what kind of books you want so people have some idea before they start tossing out suggestions? I'm assuming these are "off topic" books, i.e. not diet/fitness related?

rockinrobin 11-02-2006 12:21 PM

I'm open to suggestions, just me personally I would like to avoid the fitness/health books, I need a break. Are you okay with "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey even though he's had a bit of controversy surrounding him? I think a few of the ladies were okay with it.

rockinrobin 11-02-2006 12:23 PM

Of and Fiddler I just noticed your "Gettin Waisted" thing under your name - love it! Funny enough my waist is where I have DEFINITELY lost the most weight so far, not the tummy necessarily - the waist. Boy the body's a weird thing.

watch_it_break 11-02-2006 12:28 PM

ooooh, books! :p i'll join in, if i can grab a copy at the library...

i'm a bit broke at the moment, so no book buying for me. :(

alinnell 11-02-2006 12:41 PM

I read voraciously (I guess that's better than eating voraciously!). I read Frey's book and I couldn't put it down, either. Who cares if there was controversy--it was still a good read!

Sakai 11-02-2006 01:23 PM

Me! Me! I would love to be in a book club. I read way too much anyways ^_^ it would be nice to have talks with others reading the same