General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:43 PM   #1  

Default Pet problems: diabetic cat

My cat has diabetes! I took her to the vet on Monday because she got really lethargic over the week-end and basically just quit eating. He said she had a bacterial infection and gave her meds. Told me she should be better by the next day or so. So, on Wednesday, when she wasn't any better I took her back. He ran blood tests and her sugar level was 350+ (normal is 100-150). I had to start her on a special diet to bring it down. I've got to take her back in two weeks to get her blood tested again and hopefully it'll be better then. If diet doesn't control the diabetes I'll have to start giving her an insulin injection every day.

Anyone ever go through anything like this? Cat or dog?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hiya ,

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's diagnosis, but I can tell you that lots of cats (and dogs) can live normal lives with diabetes. I used to be a vet tech and saw quite a few diabetic animals. Good luck with the food, it's quite possible that will do the trick. If you DO end up having to give your kitty insulin, just know that it is VERY easy and most cats don't seem all that bothered by it. We had one client who always gave her cat his injection right when she came home, so he connected the excitement of her arrival + lots of cuddles with getting his insulin. He even sits and waits at the fridge while she gets it ready for him!

So good luck, and try not to worry TOO much about it.
Closed Thread