General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #1  

Default Sleeping excessively

I just dont feel well rested when I wake up. I feel sleepy throughout the day esp in the afternoon. If I dont sleep, I end up with a headache for the whole day...
I go to bed at 10:30 and wake up at 7:00 (never wanting to get up)! I just dont know whats wrong. This is happening now for nearly 1 year. My bed is the same, I dont drink too much coffee/alcohol either.

Any one having the same problem or anyone got any remedies?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #2  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Hi,

If you are feeling tired and not sleeping well, then there is definitely a cause, you just have to determine WHAT it is that is causing it.

It could be insomnia, caused by stress. It could also be that you have sleep apnea, and aren't aware of it.

Perhaps you could consider going to a doctor, get your blood pressure checked. Usually people with sleep apnea have high blood pressure, and of course people with stress might too. High BP is something you want to be careful about either way.

I hope it improves for you. For me it did. I had insomnia for 2 years. Now that my life is different, I can see it was because of stress at the time. If you think it IS stress related... try taking B Complex 100 vitamins. They helped my anxiety and stress A LOT. They are the B complex with 100 mg of each B, look at the back of the bottle and it will show 100 each.

~ Angie
Old 08-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #3  
mom2cole

I have had sleep problems for as long as I can remember. I am a night eater, I wake up, eat something, stumble back to bed and only remember doing so since I have a funny taste in my mouth. When I got pregnant with my first son almost 5 years ago that was the last time I EVER slept through the night. My boys are 4 and 2 and sleep all night long, for the most part, but not me. It gets worse when I am stressed about something. If I go to bed with a clear head and try not to think about things that need to get done and read a book instead of TV I sleep pretty good. I would say on most nights now I only wake up 1 or 2 times on bad nights I can wake up every hour on the hour. I go to bed between 8:30pm to 10pm and have to be up at 4:30am since I have to be to work by 6am. I would say to look at things that cause stress and I also cut out all caffeine by 4pm.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You might also consider asking your doctor about a sleep study, it could be sleep apnea or a sleep disorder (if you are sleeping, but still not feeling rested). A couple years ago, I had a sleep study done because I was sleeping 14 - 16 hours a day, and even more on weekends. I was also in constant joint and body pain (like when your skin is even hurting when you've got the flu). A sleep study showed that I had sleep apnea, and was not entering the deep, restful stages sleep. 18 months later, and 45 lbs lighter, the apnea is gone (though they didn't test for the depth of sleep).

I suspect I still have a sleep disorder in that regard, as I do need more sleep than the average person, and if I go without an afternoon nap for more than a couple days, I start to have more flares of pain and fatigue.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I would def go in and talk to your doctor!
I've never slept well! Growing up I was under a LOT of stress, in my teens I developed insomnia a few times, had problems with anemia, then I had my daughter in my early 20s and now I have sleep apnea! I'm really hoping that losing the weight will help. I haven't done a sleep study, but I know I wake up several times during the night and my husband has witnessed me not breathing in my sleep (he complains about my snoring too ).
Old 08-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #6  

Thanks all. I will definitely go to the doc. I had a bad headache today as I couldnt sleep in the afternoon due to work. I am sure I dont get the restful deep sleep at night. I do have stressors which may be contributing. But how do you avoid those? I will buy the Vit. B's tomorrow.

Is it possible to have sleep apnea even when u dont snore? (my husband also never heard me snore/breathe differently while asleep)
Old 08-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #7  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

HI

I have heard that most apnea sufferers do snore, but maybe that's just a majority and not all. Do a search online and see if you have many of the symptoms, then see your doc about it. Apnea is a very serious thing and can seriously affect your health in the long term, esp regarding high blood pressure.

I don't think I had apnea, I definitely had stress for sure. We used to have a regular flat bed, and we bought adjustable beds (2 singles we push together, easier to move them) and I have never slept this great before. I know these are really expensive and out of most peoples' price range. I would recommend anyone who is thinking about getting them though to do it. It's the best money we've ever spent. I now sleep through MOST of my nights and don't wake up at all. The B vitamins and the new bed helped me enormously.

Stress - stress is SO bad for the health. If you don't exercise already, start with that. Exercise releases stress and releases relaxation into your body. Try yoga if you can't do much otherwise, or walking outside with a radio or CD player. Talk to the doctor about stress and ask for tips.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

OH YEAH! The bed can make all the difference too! Maybe a new mattress would help? We are actually looking into a Tempurpedic mattress, I slept on one once and it was HEAVEN Those are a bit spendy also, but will be well worth it!
Old 08-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #9  
Here we go again!

S/C/G: 319/319/150

Height: 5' 5"

I was the same way. My doctor sent me to a sleep study and I do have sleep apnea and am getting a CPAP machine on Thursday. Everyone is assuring me it will make a big difference and I sure hope so because I'm tired of being tired all the time!
Closed Thread