General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #16  

Height: 5'8.5"

I like "The Week" for a news magazine. I went on eBay and gots tons of subscriptions really cheap. Also for those who like nostalgia, Reminisce is fun.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #17  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I love REader's Digest and Me Magezine. And Woman's Weekly,,,I read both Me Magezine and Woman's Weekly,,,cause one they are cheap,,,don't mind if I loose them...and they do have some good fast reads.
Magezines are so expensive now... but those two are like a couple of bucks each.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 AM   #18  

Height: 5'8.5"

Angelia, have you checked eBay? I have been amazed at how cheaply I can get subscriptions to some of the best magazines!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #19  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelynn View Post
Family Fun
Excellent magazine!!! (If you have kids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTilly View Post
I also subscribe to Rolling Stone and really like the political/current events type articles as much as info about the music scene.
Rolling Stone is wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Now that Marie Claire has a new editor, I heard it was going to go back to its roots of being geared towards the independent woman, rather than being a knock off of Cosmo, so I might subscribe to that one.
Bust and ***** are awesome! I didn't know this about Marie Clare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
The SunI also subscribe to Mother Jones for news of a political nature. It is always informative (and is only published every other month, so I can mostly keep up with it).
I totally agree on Mother Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_ttw View Post
I'm hooked on Vanity Fair - it's the perfect mix of gossippy stuff and proper journalism.
That's a great description of Vanity Fair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvaisroux View Post
I sometimes buy Prevention Magazine too.
I like Prevention, too!

I sometimes buy the Utne Reader, or Real Simple (but the $300 boots they advertize are far from "real simple", IMO!)

Oh, and I figured out the new multiple-quote feature on 3FC. ha.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:07 AM   #20  

Oh! I forgot about Taste of Home... I love that one
Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Magazines read at our house:

~Natural Health (natural health, nutrition, etc. )

~Light and Tasty (easy diet recipes-like a diet version of Taste Of Home)

~Fitness (have subscribed for the past 5 years)

~Shape (good...but I prefer Fitness)

~Fit Pregnancy (by Shape-excellent for expecting mommies who want to stay fit)

~Zaghareet (for belly dancers/instructors/students)

~Mothering (for more natural mothering issues rather than mainstream baby/mom magazines)

~Star Wars Insider (we are geeks...sorry)

~Muscle & Fitness (my husband's)

~Mens Health (my husband's)
Old 08-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica View Post
Bust and ***** are awesome! I didn't know this about Marie Clare
Yeah, right after the Ashlee Simpson issue there was this big hoopla because here was Ashlee yapping about how she loves her body and thinks women should love themselves no matter how they look and blah blah... right after she had an obvious nose job! I don't know the full story but I think the staff and readers had enough of where this magazine was going and she got booted. The new editor seems like she's a no-nonsense kind of woman and was very direct about how she wouldn't tolerate the Cosmo wannabe type of crap anymore. Go her!!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #23  
resident lactivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Yeah, right after the Ashlee Simpson issue there was this big hoopla because here was Ashlee yapping about how she loves her body and thinks women should love themselves no matter how they look and blah blah... right after she had an obvious nose job! I don't know the full story but I think the staff and readers had enough of where this magazine was going and she got booted. The new editor seems like she's a no-nonsense kind of woman and was very direct about how she wouldn't tolerate the Cosmo wannabe type of crap anymore. Go her!!
That's good, but I'll adopt a wait-and-see attitude. I still remember the nasty letters-to-the-editor from readers a few years ago after they had a special issue devoted to "real" women. The general consensus seemed to be that they should have called it the Fat Issue because of featuring one oh-so-disgusting plus size model (I forget who, but being that she's a model she was all of a size 12). I haven't touched another issue since.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #24  
No description available.

I'm amazed at how many of these mags I have never heard of...but then I am usually out of touch with the rest of the world.

I subscribe to Runners' World and some women's health/midwifery journals.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I also avoid the Cosmo/Elle/Vogue sort of "supermodel where everyone looks like Paris Hilton" magazines with a passion...and I avoid the mags that are all about the celebrity gossip-if the only stories are about Brad/Angelina, Britney/Kevin, or what dress a certain actress wore to what premiere-then I am afraid I will lose IQ points by reading one.

I love magazines that have plus sized models...and ads featuring real women. Off topica bit-but since they appear in so many magazines-I am in LOVE with the Dove ad campaigns-all shapes, heights, ages, sizes, hair textures, colors, freckles, saddlebags...it's WONDERFUL.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #26  
I restore Teeth.

I really like fitness and shape, but there aren't too many about health and exercise (for women) that I can find these days. I love the digest, but it's more of like, a once-in-a-while magazine because it's got lots of stuff to read... When I read shape, or fitness, I usually skip the fashion and makeup stuff but I enjoy harper's bazaar (they occasionally feature the daily diet lifestyles of 3 different women and calculate the calories and such, it's cute) once in a while. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #27  

Height: 5'9"

Of the fitness magazines, I like Women's Health the most. IMO, it's way better than other women's fitness magazines. I like how it's not saturated with ads for supplements and pictures of fitness models with obvious breast implants and such. It has never disappointed me. I occasionally read Self or Shape if am bored and in an airport or something, but I don't like them as much.

I subscribe to the Economist (and a bunch of lawyer practice magazines that I get for free and rarely read) but this is just because I am a giant nerd. I recommend it if you are also a giant nerd.

Cosmopolitan (and other women's magazines of its ilk) has always sent me into something of a rage. It's not the pictures of the models and the bad body image stuff -- it's the writing. I find the writing really condescending to women. Like "fab" and "glam" and such -- I mean, a magazine targeting grown women shouldn't treat them like airheaded semi-illiterates. (What's funny is that it wasn't always like this; in university, I took a women's studies course and ended up flipping through some '70s Cosmopolitans, which included political articles and book reviews which used words like "esoteric".)

Glamour does a bit of the same, but it occasionally has excellent articles. I came across one a few months ago that had a long article about concerns that American women should be having with respect to their health and government regulation. It was very well-researched and useful.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #28  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

womens world
Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #29  

I like Women's Day and Diabetic cooking. I'm not diabetic, but my kids both have metabolic syndrome and I get ideas from it.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #30  

i subscribe to bust and sometimes pick up copies of adbusters (political/counter-culture-ish) or paste (music).
Closed Thread