General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #1  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Default A facade for the world

This is something that I've been dwelling on for a few days now, sparked by a conversation with a friend. Keep in mind, most of these statements are generalities as I do realize that there are exceptions.

Everyone in the world is a liar. No matter how honest you are (I've not told a lie in who knows how long), you're a liar. Why? Because you put up a facade for the world to see and hide behind it.

Fear of persecution (harassment, ridicule, punishment) causes us to be fake for the world simply so we won't get hurt. Nobody REALLY ever knows you, because there will always be things that you hide. And why not? When you let your guard down, you'll just be taken advantage of anyway. Being fake keeps you from being fed to the wolves of this world. Survival of the fittest... and the best liars.

"You're homeschooled, you don't know how the world is. You're just a naive idiot." This is something that has been told to me by several people, none of whom have shown quality beyond that of brute. Do you ever really feel anything? Do you realize that there is more to the world than electronics, school, and sex? People go through so much in their lives that you'll never realize, simply because you never took the time to care. Why don't you care? It's not so hard, and yet very few people actually care about others. You could save someone's life without even knowing it... if you cared. I know, because a stranger saved my life and I never got the opportunity to thank him. It happens. It's not an uncommon occurence. You can touch the lives of so many people, if only you'd open your mind to feelings and beliefs beyond your own thoughts.

I set myself up for ridicule now by revealing my feelings of the world. Honestly, I think that if people haven't thought about these things before, they definitely should. A careless, unfeeling world is a world that none should like to live in. Why would you want to be treated coldly or fakely?

Just think about it.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I can't disagre with you. I've lied alot in my lifetime for various reasons:
--saving my a$$
--saving someone else's a$$
--to avoid hurting someone's feelings

I admit I can be fake, because there are times when I don't want people to know what's REALLY going on with me. There are two people on this earth that I can't get anything by--my SO and my best friend.

Your honesty is very refreshing...and it saddens me that the idiots of this planet would try to squelch it.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I agree that everyone lies. I lie all the time when people ask me how I feel. I know they are asking to be kind. I always say that "I am fine". Many times this isn't true. I lie because A. they don't really want to know the truth and B. I'd rather not go into it with most people.
We all tell lies to our kids. Such as A. Did you ever drink a beer or smoke pot. Of course not, yeah right. ( I grew up in the 70's and am the only person that didn't try these things, lol). Has your credit always been perfect? Of course. Were you ever promiscuous? Of course not.
As for home schooling, I know some children who were home schooled that are absolutely brilliant and that have been able to socialize a lot with others through sports and church and they are very well adjusted and great kids.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #4  

Lying is actually considered a normal defense mechanism esp in kids. It proves that they are capable of defending themselves in times of trouble and harm. kids who are mentally impaired are unfortunately not capable of doing this and sometimes it may be used as a tool to diagnose severly impaired states.

This does not mean you should encourage your kid to lie or not punish them for lying.

IMO lying is normal to a CERTAIN extent!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:52 PM   #5  
Rose

S/C/G: 156/150/135

Don't think of it as being ridiculed, people will make fun of something that is different or don't understand. You sound like you have a great perspective on life and you think creatively. Some people do not like to think outside the box publicly in fear of not being excepted. Because you speak honestly and question the status quo - you will be who they think of later on in life, or when they are alone. It is very refreshing to hear your thoughts!! Don't change!!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 AM   #6  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Cool

Interesting post, thanks

It's not actually often that people speak openly about such things. In my experience as a person who tries to be as real as possible when I deal with the people I'm close to, people do not WANT the truth.

I try to be honest, but there are definitely times where if you should not be honest, or it's just not the right situation to be, it's better to say nothing or just go with the flow. There's a fine line between honesty and rudeness I think, too.
I mean, if someone asks you "do you think I'm ugly?" I think it might not be a good idea to say "yes, I think you're ugly, since you asked".

I think people like the fakeness and fluff of life and they are actually the weaker ones. People like being a bit oblivious to reality. This happens in personal relationships as well as just with short encounters.

For instance when you go to a store/coffee shop, or any other short term type of encounter, you'll be greeted with a nice big ol fake smile, and "how are you"? Like they really care? Hmm.. well some really do care, I think. A few. most do not, they are just required to pretend to care. I learned to accept that a few years back. You can just accept that life is a little easier when you know that life is all but a game in a way, and the fake bits come with it.

As for someone actually telling you that you are an idiot.. I do not think that I would agree with that, nor do I think you should tolerate someone saying that to you. THEY are the idiot who has no manners.
So you are home schooled, big deal. That does not an idiot make. Tell them to fly a kite next time you hear them say that.

When I was around 18 yrs old I had a boyfriend who used to feel he had the right to tell me "what I was". In his opinion I was broken and he needed to fix me. At the time I was in agreement with the things he said to me. (I needed to lose weight, I was weak, etc). He's long gone now and now that I'm a bit older I realize that was wrong. So I needed to lose weight, that did not give him a license to just berate me. And it's the same with you. You are much more than just one label, home schooled.

~ Angie
Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 AM   #7  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

Hmmmm.... Speaking from experience. Being overly forthright can be very painful. I have ALWAYS been regarded/referred to as the blunt, blatant, brutally honest one. Much more so in the past as I have learned to curb my desire to speak "the truth". Who's truth is it really? After some very painful wacks to the head with the reality of social copeing and graces, I have matured enought to realize, my honesty was merely MY opinion.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 AM   #8  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Stevi, I'm with you on that one. Same experiences over here.
Closed Thread