General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default 6 meals a day

I've been reading about the idea of eating six small meals a day rather than the traditional 3. .. how does this work with, well...work? I am not able to take more break time to eat, and I also don't want to force myself to eat superfast... I understand the thought behind it, but it just doesn't seem very do-able for my life...any suggestions/advice/ from people who have tried it? what kind of success have you had?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #2  

I have tried it but only for less than a week. You basically have two styles. Either evenly cut your calories between the meals or have some meals with a few more of your calories and some with a bit less, which is like having 3 meals and 3 snacks. You could also aim for 5 meals which is easier. I found it very hard to do because I need bigger meals and small snacks. In truth, having 6 meals in either style will keep your metabolism burning fuel higher all day. Some bodybuilders do it to get cut and it has moved into many others meal plans - stars, fitness trainers and everyone who needs to get some weight off or get cut. By the way bodybuilders also keep the same plan but add more calories to bulk up. Anyway, I think it's smart but hard to do. If u can do it by adding things like protein bars, or a premixed shake, or eating an apple or banana as a snack or adding maybe some low-fat cottage cheese to the fruit eaten then this would be a good meal. Remember u gotta keep the meals small and for some seeing small meals can mentally make u feel like u aren't getting enough food intake. I say try it and see how u feel. U could add in anything for quick meals like tv dinners that are low cal, or a turkey sandwitch (no chips ) and that can be a small cal meal too. Go with what works for u. The fact that this can rev up your metabolism is why some who are already in good shape use it to get the six pac showing. It really does work but I personally think 5 is enough esp. if u cut those calories pretty close between those meals. Lastly, precooking meals and preparing non-cooked meals is very useful when doing this plan. If u can cook something for dinner and use it for a snack for another day, do it. If u can't but can eat a bar then make sure it's nearby. I know I mention bodybuilders here but their aim to lose weight with this plan is similar to our goals here... in all truth they usual are in the forefront of trying and utilizing new diet and exercise methods. Everything from circuit training, to 6 meals, to mixing cardio and weight training togethter, and a bunch of other stuff has come from bodybuilders attempts to get an advantage from using new methods. Trials and errors.

Last edited by tobetheman; 07-29-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

I eat six small "meals" a day.

6:30am - breakfast (usually something like untoasted muesli & yoghurt or toast w/vegemite)

10:30am - snack (A small handful of dry roasted nuts or rye biscuits, fruit etc)

12:30 - Lunch (Soup, sandwich, salad etc)

3:30 - Snack (another piece of fruit, or something small...cut up veggies, soup etc)

6:30 - dinner (small meal - salad, roasts, anything really, just not a huge portion)

8:30 - Snack...sometimes I'll have like a piece of bread or toast with my cup of tea, or a homemade muffin etc.

Eating like this works very well for me as I am never ever hungry and the small frequent portions mean I don't tend to over-eat and because they're small I can savour and enjoy and not have to rush my food. I work 8-5 in an office...and often don't get home until close to 6pm, so time is a premium for me as well.

Liv
Old 07-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #4  

Not to sound silly, but you mention yoghurt..what is that? Is it like yogurt? Is it a different spelling? A different product?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Works like a dream for me, I love it! I understand not wanting to hurry, but my main goals have to be balance and not to go hungry.

I simply make sure that I eat something with protein and add veggies and once or twice a day a piece of whole sprouted grain bread every 2-3 hours. I'm talking about a hard boiled egg and some snap peas or 2 ounces of chicken breast with some carrots or cucumbers, just grab from a baggie and go kind of stuff. I work with the public and can't really take a break either, but I do take the time to just sit down for a few minutes (literally, 2-3 min) and eat. If I don't I just set myself up to fail. I am that important, rather, my health is that important to me. That's the biggie, it has to be a priority.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #6  
Beam me up Scotty!

Works like a dream for me, I love it! I understand not wanting to hurry, but my main goals have to be balance and not to go hungry.

I simply make sure that I eat something with protein and add veggies and once or twice a day a piece of whole sprouted grain bread every 2-3 hours. I'm talking about a hard boiled egg and some snap peas or 2 ounces of chicken breast with some carrots or cucumbers, just grab from a baggie and go kind of stuff. I work with the public and can't really take a break either, but I do take the time to just sit down for a few minutes (literally, 2-3 min) and eat. If I don't I just set myself up to fail. I am that important, rather, my health is that important to me. That's the biggie, it has to be a priority.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #7  
Beam me up Scotty!

Oooppss...sorry for the double post. Don't know what happened!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #8  

I noticed on your ticker that you began your weight loss journey on June 6.. adn that you lost 28 lbs in that time till now? Holy cow sister, what are you doing to get such fantastic loss? Is it just the new eating philosophy or are you eating a differing plan like low carb/ect...either way, that's some sweet weight loss! You Go!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Optical Goddess - Yoghurt = Yogurt.

I have noticed Americans spell a lot of things differently lol.

Its a pain when I am typing documents as you have to constantly change the default spell check setting from "American English" to "Australian"

Liv
Old 07-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #10  

I figured it was probably the same, but it never hurts to ask...I don't like yogurt, so I wouldn't like yoghurt either...American English is just weird I can see where American English would be really hard to learn for someone who is not farmiliar with it... like how so many words have the same spelling " someone who is from Poland is Polish.. but yet, I polish my shoes and silver...that brings some weird images.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #11  
Beam me up Scotty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess
I noticed on your ticker that you began your weight loss journey on June 6.. adn that you lost 28 lbs in that time till now? Holy cow sister, what are you doing to get such fantastic loss? Is it just the new eating philosophy or are you eating a differing plan like low carb/ect...either way, that's some sweet weight loss! You Go!
Thanks for noticing! Always nice to hear!

Well, if you consider all things, my start weight, what kind of diet I had before and what I've done to change it, it's not that mysterious.

I ate a lot of crap day and night when ever I wanted. I slowly started letting go of all the processed stuff (sugar, flour, salt, caffine, pain relievers) over the first 4 weeks. At the same time, I started adding habits like buying organic or "bathing" those foods I couldn't get organic, cooking my own foods, 5-6 small meals a day, LOTS of water, replacing fats with flax seed and it's oil and using a multi-vitamin and a couple other supplements.

It was a traditional "elimination diet" at first to determine any food problems and I am now in the process of adding back in, although the processed stuff is gone forever, with no cravings. I fully expect the rate to drop as my calories increase to a more sustainable level.

I still haven't been able to do much exercise other than a bit of walking because I still have a lot of pain. I am standing, walking, lifting and carrying all day at work. (one of the reasons I started this) I am sleeping better and do have less pain on waking, my nails are the strongest they have ever been as well as blood levels in line. It's just a matter now of getting some more off to feel even better!
Closed Thread