General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #1  

Default The nerve of some people!

Please excuse the rant!
But, I listed a TV I'm trying to sell at a very good price on craig'slist for $275. It's a good deal- big, almost new TV with all the gadgets and a matching stand, for $275, thinking that was good, but if somebody wanted to go a little lower, I probably would. We paid $500 for it less than a year ago.

So, I get an e-mail from a guy who asks if I'll take a lesser amount, and I agreed. He then asked me for a link to the description again, and I e-mailed it to him. After a few hours, he writes me back that he would buy it, but he's only buying it to get the stand and so $175 or $200 seemed like a better deal because he could probably buy a new TV of this type for the same price.

WHA?

First of all, who buys the whole shebang, even at that price, for an $89 stand? And secondly, getting esentially a $600 item at $175 would be a good deal — FOR HIM!!

I was insulted. I understand haggling over the price, but jeez, that's a little crazy. Needless to say, I told him thanks but no thanks if that's what he wants to pay. Go haggle with Circuit City.

Sorry for the rant but I was stunned!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #2  

Smile

Eh... some people can really blow your mind, especially when they are trying to save money. lol.

Oh well, he won't get a better deal, and you know it so it's his loss.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 375/280/250

If he's buying it to get the stand and he's willing to pay $175-$200 for it, tell you will sell him the stand sans TV. See how fast he backs out!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

Yah, people looking for items on craigslist are usually doing it for a good deal. I'd think that half of the sticker price on any electronics item is pretty standard, even if it's less than a year old.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #5  

Yeah some people are horribble at haggling... and just think that they you should just unload whatever you are offering at a steal of a price. Sometimes it's just plain insulting!!

I had a garage sale on Saturday, and I was selling this teapot that my mom had gotten as a gift for Christmas. Anyways... it was from the halmark store, and it's made by Marjory something... She makes nature cards. Anyways, I labeled it as $5. A complete steal, since the tea pot must be about $25 in stores. Anyways this dumb guy comes up and is like Yah how about a fifty cents. I said no. He said a dollar... I said no and basically took the tea pot away. I'd rather **** freeze over than give it to this guy. He drives a big lexus that would easily be worht more than me!!

Needless to say, he didn' tget the teapot... but man oh man i was mad. And insulted!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:36 PM   #6  
mom2cole

Yah, gotta love people. I also had a garage sale on Saturday and I was selling a little tykes play yard for $20 it goes for $100 new at the store. A guy was like, "will you take $5?" Ah, NO!! Idiot. I work in retail and a guy asked for something I knew we didn't sell but I humored him in looking for it and he kept telling me that we had to have the item and that he would find it himself. I said sure go for it and left! Wonder how long he looked??
Old 07-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #7  

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Is it such a crime that people are hoping to get extremely good deals? I mean, you never know if you don't ask. Unless the people get rude and obnoxious when you simply tell them the price can't go that low, what is the big deal? You shouldn't take it as a personal insult. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree... all the guy did was make an offer which you didn't want to accept. It's nothing personal... LOL part of the "game" with selling stuff on Craigslist.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In most other countries haggling is part of the culture, and the starting price as well as the first counter offer is supposed to be almost insulting. If you're used to haggling, you assume that the asking price is quite a bit more than the seller is expecting to get, just as your first offer is much less than you are actually willing to pay.

My husband and his grandfather love garage sales and are hagglers to the core. It embarassed me at first, but now I just roll my eyes and will actually say something to the effect of "He always does this, and I can't take him anywhere" to the seller.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Used stuff isn't always worth what you think it is. It is usually best to try and find what you are selling and see what people are willing to pay for it (ie. ebay) - usually stuff in a paper or something will go a bit higher then ebay. I go to garage sales all the time, sometimes you get great deals, other times I find people are asking way too much. I wouldn't be insulted by how much they offered you, you know how much it was and how much you want. I have a few things I want to sell (big items, computer, fish tank, etc) but I wont sell them simply for that fact that I wont get enough money to make it worth it. I figure I might as well keep it and use it myself.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #11  

I have no problem with being asked to take less, I've done it myself and expect it. That's fine. I guess the problem was I had already agreed to come down on the price twice and felt he was just messing around. And every time it seemd we had agreed on a price, he would ask another question, completely unrelated to the value of the thing (like the width of the shelves, etc. which are legitimate questions when evaluating whether you want the thing, but don't effect the value) and then lower the price. This morning he asked the height of the TV, the height of the stand, and the width and length of both. I answered and then told him I could go no lower (because he asked again and we were within $10) he decided he didn't want it.

I think maybe he didn't want it to begin with, but was willing to see how far I would go.

Guess it just struck me the wrong way!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #12  

I'm like that too newsnerd.

I guess I wasn't born to haggle too much. My sister on the other hand.... dang, that woman can sniff out a deal through a cast iron wall coated in lead!!! Then get herself another 10% off!!! I'm all.... let's get out of here.... please... but, it works for her I guess.
Closed Thread