General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation I think I'm in trouble

Oh man, if it's not one thing making life rough, it's another.
okay. it's been bothering me for a few days now and I have no one to talk to. I just feel better sharing it where with all my 3FC friends.
I think I might be Pregnant.

I'm not too sure, but I've got this feeling that I am. I've been sleeping far more than normal, taking naps even. My breasts are looking a little strange. ( though that can just be from wearing a sports bra most of the day)
The thing that confuses me is that I had a normal period and then a slightly abnormal one the month after that. But I hear you can still have what looks to be your period even when you are pregnant. and this month, I'm a few days late.

I have no idea what to do. I'm thinking of calling to make a doc apointment tomorrow because it's just driving me so out of my mind, I just gotta know. But I feel so nervious to find out.
I know ignoring it won't make it go away @_@.

I'm so afraid that I am and if so, I'm in so much trouble.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:03 AM   #2  
resident lactivist

There is nothing to be gained by hiding, no matter how tempting it might be. You must get a test. That's the only thing that will answer it. The Equate brand tests, that you can buy at Wal-Mart, are cheap and among the most sensitive. You can get a two-pack for the same or less than the EPTs, and they are just as sensitive (more sensitive, in fact, than the digital tests), that way you can take one when you get home with it & the other in the morning with first morning urine to ensure you get an accurate result.

Of course, if you're the type to worry that a negative result is a false negative, then you'd be wise to skip right to the doctor's appointment for a blood test.

Really, though, neither sleeping or breast changes by themselves--or even together--are indicators of pregnancy. The only good indicator of pregnancy is a missed period. The abnormal period might mean something, but honestly it can mean a huge number of other things too, anything from stress to a change in eating. (I've seen a lot of women on low-carb diets talk about odd periods.) If it was so light you'd describe it more as spotting (as in, you only used pantyliners, not pads), then that could be a red-flag. Otherwise, not so much so.

Your school might have some good resources for you if you are pregnant. Or you could call your local crisis pregnancy center.

It could turn out to be a wonderful thing if you are. You never know.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 AM   #3  
Less is more.

Hi Momma,

I could just be overreacting a little the the missed period and the abnormal one last month is what really makes me worry. My last period was weak. it only lasted about 2 and a half days. I used tampons for light cycle and it seemed okay, even though they hardly needed changing when I changed them (bout ever 4 hours).
I made a post about this strange period a while back. and it seemed that many of the women here had lighter, shorter periods after changed their diet and working out more. So i didn't let it worry me.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

Take the test. You can do it in the privacy of your bathroom and then you will know one way or another. Not taking it will just keep it lurking in the back of your mind. Get it over with and find out. Then you can deal with the outcome.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

You CAN'T ignore this issue - it will catch up with you in about 7 months time. Take an over-the-counter pregnancy test. It isn't too late to make some decisions about what you might want to do. It WILL be in about 6 weeks time. Let us know what is up...
CHIN UP!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #6  

The last I knew, which I could be wrong... doctors offices won't accept over-the counter pregnancy tests and will require you to take another if you make an appointment.
What I do know for sure is that you can go to your local health department and have a pregnancy test done - and that should be accepted by a doctor. The health department should be low cost and accept any insurance you have. Also, if you are pregnant and low income, they can set you up on WIC and get you a referral to get a medical card for your child.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #7  
No description available.

Buy a test. Take it. You can jump through the hoops described by Buckettgirl later if there are any (and our practice does not require a second test...if you say you had a + at home, we believe you!).

Edited to add: I take it this would not be good news for you if you are pregnant. Please try to find someone in real life to talk to.

I became pregnant my freshman year in college. OOPS! I really did not have anyone neutral to talk to. The health office (at a Christian Univ) referred me to an abortion clinic right off the bat, saying visibly pregnant students could not live in the dorms. I laugh now... I was 8 weeks along and would not be visibly pregnant for a loooonnnng time...Ah to be a primip again!

I was 19. No money, my parents' marriage was in the final stages of destruction and they could not even contribute further to my college education, I was in a state far from home...did I mention I did not have any money?

The only thing I had going for me was stubborness (that is true today--just some kind of twisted desire to create circumstances in which I can succeed), and I had a thought that I would make it work.

And I did. She is 13 and starting high school in the fall.

The sooner you know for sure the sooner you can consider your plans.

Last edited by midwife; 07-12-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
Buy a test. Take it. You can jump through the hoops described by Buckettgirl later if there are any (and our practice does not require a second test...if you say you had a + at home, we believe you!).
Ya, I didn't know... I almost oopsed about 6 years ago ....and had to take another test at the doctor's office b/c they wouldn't accept the one I took at home... I assume they are all different. LOL

One thing from that experience that I can say, is that STRESS can cause some odd changes in your body that might appear to be pregnancy but aren't anything more than stress...

I hope everything turns out in a good way for you.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Sakai - I just wanted to say that there have been times in my short life that my period has been a couple days late and I FREAK out and worry until it comes (never last more then a day or too).

But what I really wanted to say: I have a friend, we were best friends from the age of 4ish. Around the time we started high school we fell apart and she turned into a real mess. Long story short she dropped out of school and had a baby at 16/17. I saw her about a year ago and she was doing amazing. She never finished school (she was working on, might be now). She had her own apartment and she was one of the most amazing younge mother's I have ever seen. That baby turned her life around and she admitted to me that if she hadn't of had that baby she would of killed herself (probably from drinking/drugs or something of the sort). I maybe don't agree with what she did with her life but I am so proud of her for what she has become. I don't even see her or talk to her but when I do I am amazed by her more and more. I wish I had kept in touch but unfortunaly it never worked out. I am sure one day I will bump into her again around town and maybe this time we can be friends again.

I am not saying that this is the case with you, I just wanted to share that a bad thing can become a really good thing.

Best of luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #10  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

LordHaveMercy honey... go get a pregnancy test from any WalMart or pharmacy, and just take it. The anxiety over wondering just isn't worth it. Just take the test. You'll feel better knowing, one way or the other, then and only then can you make a plan on what you will do. Good luck, and here's to hoping you're NOT pregnant.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #11  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

I agree with everyone else. No need to stress until you know there's something to stress over... It will only make things worse if you stress yourself out by waiting...
Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #12  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

I agree...go grab a test from WalMart. I've been there...only it wasn't anxiety cause I didn't want to be but rather anticipation hoping I was. The more you sit there and stress out about it, the longer you're going to push back your period. There was a time that I missed mine for 3 months (and yes I had reason to believe I might be pregnant and took a test each time) and my doctor determined I was stressing myself out too much. Find a planned parenthood in your area...they're usually a little less expensive. And most of all, find someone in real life that you can talk to...no matter what.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #13  
Collie Mommie

Sakai - just take an OTC test. If it is +, go to your student health center and have them do another test (to be sure) and discuss your options if you are in fact pregnant.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #14  
Less is more.

Wow, thank god for 24 hour wal-marts. @_@
After about having a nervous break-down over the computer with my boyfriend, I finally caved. I couldn't wait till morning so I zipped on down to wal-mart grabbed a test and came back. The test showed a weak positive @_@ and I figured that was because I took it last night and didn't wait till morning.
My boyfriend, bless his heart, even though we're having a few issues was very supportive and positive about the whole thing

So anyways. Today I went to the gym and because the gym is next to the hospital I walked over and made a appointment. They said that they had a open spot for me if I just wanted to wait there for about 15 minutes. (Wow a open spot at the clinic? Unheard of!) So I did. they gave me another test that showed I was negative. they couldn't really explain the weak positive and we just figured i did it wrong. ( how I wouldn't know) but they tested twice just to make sure and it was negative.

The doctor says that stress and sudden change of diet could be the cause of my periods going all wack. And said it may be a good idea to go on Birth control to help them stay regular. and would be a good idea if i was worried about getting pregnant.

I'm not sure if I'll get BC, being my family has a history of bad reactions to the pill, not to mention I can't pay for any of it. @_@ my dad's insurance paid for the visit at the doc's so I was lucky there.

Man I did some deep searching within myself last night when I though I was pregnant. I had no idea what I would have done if I was going to have a baby. My family is NOT very supportive, and most likely would have left me to deal with this on my own. (My cousin fathered a baby and the family ignored the fact that he and the baby are alive until they see them in the store or something)

I have no job, and no place to go, my boyfriend lived 250 miles away and has no job himself, he’s legally deaf and it’s a bit hard for him to find a place that will accept him. (And his family refuses to teach him to drive @_@ control issues I think) all in all it would have been a big mess. The doctor made a second appointment to take another look because I did have a few symptoms that concerned him, but I’m not going to let that stress me out.

Thanks for all your support and well wishes everyone.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #15  

Sakai,

If you have a Planned Parenthood near you or if your school has a student health center, you can get birth control at low or no cost - usually they can do a sliding scale based on income, since you have none, you should be able to get BC at no cost.
As for family with issues with BC pills, I would talk to your doctor and see what they recommend for you based on family history. You could be fine taking them, but you won't know till you talk to a health professional.

From personal experience, when I thought I was pregnant, that scared me right into birth control and never compromising on using condoms. No way was I gonna be a mom at 18! Not to mention that my bf at the time ran off with someone else shortly after the scare.... ugh

I am glad that things have worked out for you; now in many ways, you have a very valuable lesson under your belt
Closed Thread