General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #1  

Angry 7 blasts!

there were a series of 7 bomb blasts in my home town Bombay last night. so many people died and so may casualties. All phone lines were dead, no internet networks... I woke up this morning and didnt know anything here in US. My bil called to tell me this and I was so scared and tried franctically to call my mom/sis/dad (anyone whom I could get hold of). After trying for almost 20 times, I got through and learnt that they were safe but my mom's brother was not contactable and had not reached home yet.

After a while, my sis called me saying my uncle was injured and taken to an ER along with 100's of other injured people. Fortunately a hospital staff got through the phone line to my dad and could contact him about my uncle. (god bless him). It was 10.00 am here in US and 9:30 pm in Bombay. A neighbor accompanied my dad to the hospital which was nearly 2 hours away. My aunt also rushed (hopefully with a friend). no-one knew how injured he was.

after 2 hours again my sis called to say he is doing ok except some minor injuries and hearing loss (we hope its temporary due to the explosion). Ct scans were being done.

My mom and sis had to walk miles to reach home. The chaos was worsened by heavy rains. My mom who used to take one of the same trains to reach home everyday from work (In Bombay everyone depends on trains and trains are superduper crowded always)...she fortunately took a previous train yesterday!!!!!

My uncle saved himself for the second time (very close). The first time being in 1993 when there were 10 bomb blasts in Bombay one being in his office building. he happened to take a sick leave on that day...

al queda is being suspected for these horrific events. What do they want?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Your family is very lucky! Glad everyone including your uncle is ok. I can't imagine how scary it is to lose track of your family during an ordeal like that.

Crazy world we live in...
Old 07-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts. These attacks are horrific, and I know what its like to be far away when your loved ones are facing an attack of this nature (my sister worked 6 blocks from the Pentagon on 9/11, and we couldn't reach her or any of our other DC friends for hours, so I have some experience with it).

I'm very glad that your uncle's injuries were minor, though very sad that he was injured at all.

Again, you'll be in my thoughts.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Terrorism is so tragic. I'm so sorry you have been so personally affected. You and all the other victims are in my thoughts
Old 07-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #5  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

You are all in my thoughts!!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #6  

Thanks all. it is sad indeed. Innocent respectable people like college students, People going home after a hard day's work...moms, children were injured/died. I pray for all of them and their families!

I am just confused why they do this? Why cant they help build a better peaccful world for our kids in future?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

The hate in their hearts have blinded all rational and empathetic thought. And the sad part is that they, like all of us, were born innocent children capable of unconditional love, and they were corrupted by the evil of religious extremism.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #8  
resident lactivist

I'm sorry. I'm not going to speculate about al Qaeda here, because this isn't a political forum. But the brief answer to what they want is this: They want terror. They want us to be scared into doing things their way.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Willmakeit - boy, I know how you feel. I'm a native NYCer, and I think I cried for 3 solid days.
So glad your uncle is going to be ok.

Actually, there are reasons (not good reasons, but reasons nonetheless) for terrorism - it's not just hate. But that discussion doesn't belong here.

Sue
Old 07-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #10  

He still cant hear and now the wounds have started hurting a lot. There are like 20-30 metal chips embedded all over his body in skin and muscles. and one in his skull bone. They will do many minor surgeries to remove those. his entire right arm and hand is injured badly. he cant sit/stand yet.

One more bad news I just heard today was of one of our beloved family doctors (We used to go to him as children) died in the blast. I feel so helpless sitting so far from my country and loved ones.
Closed Thread