General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #1  
hara hachi bu

Question Clothes-Sizing Questions??

OK, I've been in the 22W/24W size range since I don't-know-when ... until now! I'm finally able to wear 20s and some 18s. But I have a few questions.

1. Is 18W the same size as 18?

2. Is an XL equivalent to a 1X and an XXL equivalent to a 2X, or does it go S-M-L-XL-1X-2X ...? Is the 1X cut wider than an XL?

3. I've only shopped at plus-size stores lately. How high do most "normal-sized" stores go in clothing sizes?

4. What are some ballpark figures on how many "pounds" it takes to drop a size?

I know sizing is so ambiguous that anything can fit, but I was just trying to wrap my brain around the sizing standards here. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #2  

Ok these are only my experiences.. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
OK, I've been in the 22W/24W size range since I don't-know-when ... until now! I'm finally able to wear 20s and some 18s. But I have a few questions.

1. Is 18W the same size as 18?
I've found the W sizes to be cut a bit larger
Quote:
2. Is an XL equivalent to a 1X and an XXL equivalent to a 2X, or does it go S-M-L-XL-1X-2X ...? Is the 1X cut wider than an XL?
. XL is smaller than a 1X at least the ones I've tried on

Quote:
3. I've only shopped at plus-size stores lately. How high do most "normal-sized" stores go in clothing sizes?
Traditional sizes seems to really vary. Some stores may only carry up to a 14, others a 16 but most seem to be in that range.

Quote:
4. What are some ballpark figures on how many "pounds" it takes to drop a size?
For me, it takes about 15 pounds.
Quote:
I know sizing is so ambiguous that anything can fit, but I was just trying to wrap my brain around the sizing standards here. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Yep. I second everything that Linda has said.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I agree. I'm happy to say I will NEVER need any clothes with a number that has a W behind them. Now 14W is too big for me and I fit *most* 14's perfectly. I would say a 14W is more like a 16 and a 16W is more like a regular 18.

I've seen most stores carry up to 18 in the woman's sections, but only 15 and sometimes 17 in the Junior's section (some brands only go up to 13). I shop mostly at Kohl's and Target, but I think I saw a 19 one time at Walmart. And Walmart definitely goes up to 18 and then they have their plus sizes too.

But different brands are cut differently. I have a pair of 16 pants that are tight on me still and some 17's I have fit well and then I have 15's that fit the same as the 17's. Clothes are insane. The companies need to try to universal sizing because sometimes I have to take 3 different sizes of the same item because I never know what I'm going to fit into.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Thumbs up Thank You

Thanks, everybody, for your input!

There's another thread on here about "vanity sizing" and how companies adapt their sizing so we feel good and want to buy their clothes. Sad!

I'm quite tall (5'11") and I do NOT have a willowy super-model bone structure, so the smallest I've ever been at this height is about a 12 (I recall wearing a FEW 10s once). I've gone from a 24W to about a 18W and I've lost almost 60 pounds, so I guess my body is more like 20 pounds per size.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

Red face OK, It's Official ...

I'm a 18W. Every day at lunch, I've gone to thrift stores and purchased clothing. I still naturally grab 22s, 24s, 26s (especially in tops, as I am top-heavy), but today I purchased 2 pair of 18W pants, and a 18/20 shirt.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Speaking of the W behind the size, my dh went shopping with me once at the outlet mall when I was at my highest 16W-going on 18W. DH announces from across the store "Hey, check it out this store has a whole section of short and wides. You should be able to find something to fit here."

I think the W's are cut a little fuller in the seat and chest where many of us need it.

Depending on your area about what regular stores carry, generally you can find a decent selection up to about a size 14, going much higher then that and it's hit or miss. Where my parents live, their stores go up to 18 regularly.

Even though I'm down to a size 12, I still automatically get exiceted when I see when a store has a size 16 in something...then I think, oh, wait that's not my size anymore.

Sarah
Old 06-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/165/140-145

This is my first time posting at this site. Everyone is so supportive of eachother! This is so awesome. I always feel like a stranger butting in on a conversation when I post for the first time. I am at a 12 but probably pushing a larger size. I used to be a 5 but after 2 kids and horrible eating habits...well.. I find that the sizes are getting smaller. Most of my clothes from after I was pregnant with my first fit fine. Now, I go into the Mall stores like Express or GAP (most stop at 12) and I have trouble pulling the Jeans up over my thighs. My 12 GAP Jeans I bought right after I had my first still fit great but now the same size won't fit. I think the sizes are getting smaller and it's wrong because most women aren't built like that.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #9  
hara hachi bu

Welcome, Coleen! Thanks for posting! I love when anyone jumps in on threads. Everybody has new ideas and feedback, and to me it is always welcome!

Have fun here. You can find a great deal of support, laughter, and information.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
DH announces from across the store "Hey, check it out this store has a whole section of short and wides. You should be able to find something to fit here."
Greaaaat! hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
Even though I'm down to a size 12, I still automatically get exiceted when I see when a store has a size 16 in something...then I think, oh, wait that's not my size anymore.
I find myself grabbing for my old size at stores, too. Even though I was a 22/24 at my highest, I frequently purchased 26s because they are roomier. Even today, I grabbed that larger size. When I finally grabbed something more likely to fit (an 18/20), I was pleasantly surprised to notice that my upper body actually looks pretty in something slightly fitted.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

I always thought that the W stood for "Wide" - as in a size 18 versus an 18 Wide, kind of like a double-wide trailer! I think it really stands for "women's" as in this size is one a woman, with boobs and hips would wear.

Go figure...
Closed Thread