General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #1  
Melting Butter

Default Friends. How Many of Us Have Them?

I found this story on friendship to be very interesting. From time to time there are postings on 3FC from women who feel very alone. And from such a fast paced world it's easy to believe that most people are very social and happy with their social lives...But it's interesting because this story says otherwise...
Just thought I'd share!

Americans' circle of close friends shrinking By Amanda Beck
Fri Jun 23, 3:04 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Americans are more socially isolated than they were 20 years ago, separated by work, commuting and the single life, researchers reported on Friday.

Nearly a quarter of people surveyed said they had "zero" close friends with whom to discuss personal matters. More than 50 percent named two or fewer confidants, most often immediate family members, the researchers said.

"This is a big social change, and it indicates something that's not good for our society," said Duke University Professor Lynn Smith-Lovin, lead author on the study to be published in the American Sociological Review.

Smith-Lovin's group used data from a national survey of 1,500 American adults that has been ongoing since 1972.

She said it indicated people had a surprising drop in the number of close friends since 1985. At that time, Americans most commonly said they had three close friends whom they had known for a long time, saw often, and with whom they shared a number of interests.

They were almost as likely to name four or five friends, and the relationships often sprang from their neighborhoods or communities.

Ties to a close network of friends create a social safety net that is good for society, and for the individual. Research has linked social support and civic participation to a longer life, Smith-Lovin said.

People were not asked why they had fewer intimate ties, but Smith-Lovin said that part of the cause could be that Americans are working more, marrying later, having fewer children, and commuting longer distances.

The data also show the social isolation trend mirrors other class divides: Non-whites and people with less education tend to have smaller social networks than white Americans and the highly educated.

That means that in daily life, personal emergencies and national disasters like Hurricane Katrina, those with the fewest resources also have the fewest personal friends to call for advice and assistance.

"It's one thing to know someone and exchange e-mails with them. It's another thing to say, 'Will you give me a ride out of town with all of my possessions and pets? And can I stay with you for a couple or three months?" Smith-Lovin said.

"Worrying about social isolation is not a matter of nostalgia for a warm and cuddly past. Real things are strongly connected with that," added Harvard University Public Policy Professor Robert Putnam, author of "Bowling Alone," a book on the decline of American community.

He suggested flexible work schedules would allow Americans to tend both personal and professional lives.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well, some things remain the same. To have friends you have to BE one. It takes work to make a relationship positive, and unselfishly putting someone else's needs ahead of your own. Our "me" centered culture doesn't promote this but it's still true!

===Thankful for my friends====
Old 06-26-2006, 04:15 AM   #3  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

I have well non that actually 'know me' maybe a couple that I chat to.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:40 AM   #4  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

I have three close friends that I know I could count on for ANYTHING, as well as having a close relationship with all three of my sisters (all older than me by 6+ years). So, I think I'm doing okay
Old 06-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #5  
Nut Gatherer

S/C/G: 145/145/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyme05
They were almost as likely to name four or five friends, and the relationships often sprang from their neighborhoods or communities.
I thought line was the most interesting. I've lived in NE for 5 years and really have only 2 close friends here, one of who I've known since 2nd grade and she moved here for grad school!

I have about 2 REALLY close friends, you know the kind who know EVERYTHING about you, even your dirty little secrets, and maybe 6-8 more friends who I could probably trust but just don't want to tell for various reasons. But since most my friends don't live near me, our friendships plays out in a very different way than if I could see them more than once or twice a year!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #6  

I have a few close friends but I wish I had more.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Yes I would like to have more too! Actually it IS a lot harder to make friends now than it used to be... IMO.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #8  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I actually prefer not having too many friends - I have three who I'm really close to - only one of them lives here, but I visit the other two, and we're the type of friends who can go months without seeing each other and it doesn't make a difference. I have four or five who I go out for drinks with now and then, and who I really like, but who I'm not super-close to just because we all already have close friends; I think if you try to put your energy into too many people, the relationships suffer. I had a roommate who had close to a hundred "friends", but she didn't really know anything about them, beyond what their favorite bar was. I'm happy with 3 people I can really devote my energy to, and then I don't feel like I'm stretching myself too thin.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #9  
hara hachi bu

I have several good, close long-term friends ... one I've known since kindergarten, another is a family friend whose children I babysat, and yet another I can tell everything to. Unfortunately, the latter lives half a nation away, so our communication is limited to online and phone.

I could use some more "second-level friends" ... people I'm not so close to, but who can go for a walk with me or meet me for a happy hour after work.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #10  
Caution: Wide Load

S/C/G: Huge/Big/Average

In many things, it's not the quantity, but the quality.

The friends I have are top-notch. And the number changes with my life. People come and go. Some are young, some are old. Some take the same path as I do, through our lives. Others take the path for only a short distance. Our friends shape who we are.

But I must say, I was loneliest when I was married. I don't go out or anything, yet I am happier now. Sad but true.

One more thing . . . someone was just talking on the radio the other day about how it is now summer and you never really see kids outside playing, which means their socialization skills are at risk. I believe that there are two reasons for them not being outside.

First, our society has become a get-rich-quick society and all about entitlement. Kids can't rollerblade, skateboard, etc., because it is against the rules. It's against the rules, because when they get hurt, their parents sue someone - even if they are on someone else's property. Kids can't work at odd jobs anymore because of the cost and liability. So, what can they do? Sit home and play Game Boy or X-Box . . . Very sad . . .

Second, many kids live in unsafe neighborhoods and/or have one-parent families. Kids are bored, leading to isolation. And if they are too bored or too isolated they look for a solution, which can mean they will get into trouble.

Okay, I'm going off on a tangent so I'll end it here. LOL

Last edited by Ms. Shapen; 06-26-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #11  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm with Ms. Shapen. Our society needs SO much changing, it's crazy. I already ranted about food prices of healthy vs. processed food and Ms. Shapen took the words right out of my mouth for this post. Kids NEED to socialize and without their parents watching their every move like a hawk. I wonder where these parents got the idea that kids need to be watched 24/7/365 in order to live healthy fulfilled lives. I fell down when playing, scratched my hands, knees and other body parts and I'm doing ok. I'm a risk-taker. Children who have been kept at home monitored for the most part are scared to try ANYTHING and I believe that's a shame. I'm stopping now before I get into a serious rant.

On topic: I have four friends for whom I am very grateful. Two are college friends that share my many quirky personality traits and are not embarrassed by my silliness. The other two are my mom and sis both of whom I love and hate at times but my love for them will always overpower my irritation with them.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have no close friends. I have the odd person I chat with and hang out with once and a while. But no really close ones - other then my boyfriend but I don't think he counts! haha
Old 06-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #13  

I consider myself very lucky. I have several really close friends. We keep up and i would do anything in the world for them and vice versa. I think its sad that society is becoming more lonely. Friends are a great thing to have. Some you can trust your life with and others arent as close but each friend has their individual thing that you love about them and that is why yall are friends. If you dont have any, make some, friends should be in everyone's lives. But as said earlier, friendship goes both ways, so you have to be the best friend you can be as well.
Closed Thread