3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:22 AM   #16
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

i am involved in rescue and fostering here in australia and definately encourage you to get a pound or rescued puppy or go through a breeder.

who has this dog? is it the BT rescue? ring the people, or email them and ask them for details on transport before you fill out an application. many rescue organisations here have arrangements with airlines where animals can get flown free to their new home. so it may not cost you - depending on the organisation that have him. he should also be at least 12 weeks before flying for a BT cross. poor little things have small noses and he may have problems breathing at high altitude.

avoid going to breeders that have dogs that have designer names like spoodle, pugalier, cavoodle, etc. they are not recognised breeds, they are simply crosses, and could well be part of a puppy farm and not health checked. you could be in for a rough time down the track if it has inherrant problems.

we have a cavalier king charles and a boston and they are just like litter mates/sisters. they are so cute together (they are only 1 week apart in age).

a word of warning on the breed - they are prone to juvenile cateracts. quite often if the parents have not been cleared, offspring could be completely blind by 7 months if they have cataracts. if you get this puppy, make sure you have a guarentee it has been vet checked (although without knowing the lineage you can never know about the cateracts) and desexed at least. if it is run through the BT rescue, i would assume you would get that but it may be different in the US to here.

also be warned that chi's are notoriously yappy so that may be the case with this little guy. like i said with a cross you never know what traits from either breed will be prominant. the boston as a breed is not yappy at all but will bark to defend you and your home.

Mini-Goal - 114kg by 31st June (4kg loss)
Old 06-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #17

Sanger's not far from me.

I'm a cocker spaniel person - they are spastic and full of life and personality, but after raising a bipolar child I can handle anything.

I got my current cocker from the rescue organization here. He had some medical problems that we dealt with - it also appears he may have a compromised immune system. Rescue dogs aren't perfect, but a reputable rescue will tell you all they know about a given dog.

I attract all the charity cases anyway - I'm probably about to adopt a cocker spaniel who is half blind because someone poured motor oil on him thinking it would clear up mange.

This is my MacGregor in his evil eye picture:

And this is my Desdemona, who I also got from a rescue:

And this is Scruffy, who I may adopt next week:

A goodvibe for every five!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 AM   #18
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I just wanted to tank everyone. I have been in touch with the BT resuce. It will be about 280$ US to have him shipped plus adoption fee. I have filled out the application and begged for the puppy. There is one another application already. The puppy will be de-sexed before he is sent to me. I know nothing about his poor eyes. Here is the rescue he is coming from http://wanderz.net/Rescue/Dogs.htm My gramma has a PB boston terrier - I can deal with barking to have a cute little guy like that. When I signed the forum it said they do not come with any health guarteenes. I know they are vet checked tho.

I am hoping for the best! If I don't get this little guy I am going to try and find something a little more local. I didn't mean to find that puppy but I have fallen in love!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:59 AM   #19
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

oh look at Scruffy's lil face. Just too adorable. I could just see myself giving him some hugs and kisses.

Im so lucky, my lil dog is a joy to have. She has issues but her love by far makes up for her quirks. My boss and I talk about our dogs alot. She has no children but her lil dog is her baby. She leaves each morning,,,and makes sure the tv is on a timer so Bert can watch Canada AM...lol She went and bought new born sockies with lil rubber things on the bottoms when she realized that he slips on her floors. She bought a carrier for her motorbike that secures him in. He wears lil doggogles and a leather hat. We tease each other about our *babies*
I want to get another pup...hubby said if we found one in the SPCA (a small pup since our house is small) we only saw big dogs which breaks my heart. Hubby refuses to take me there again when I leave in tears.

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED

FOR THEY ARE THE ONES

WHO LET IN THE LIGHT
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #20
Addicted to potato salad!

Well, you definitely don't want MY dog...he's an Old English Sheepdog...about the biggest breed on the chart!! BUT, he's so awesome. He's the sweetest dog I've ever known. He's got a little breed personality in a big dog body. This is particularly enhanced when he decides to sit on your lap while watching TV (that's OK, Junior...I didn't need to see the TV...or BREATHE!!)

I really wanted a Pug when we were looking for a dog...but my DH had had his heart set on an OES for a long time, so OES is what we got. Before our Junior, he had two cairn terriers. He loved them dearly, but bark, bark, bark and chew, chew, chew, he said. My own personal experience is that dogs that have a word that so closely resembles the word terrorist probably isn't a good idea. My sister has a Jack Russel Terrier and he tears up everything and pees on the floor (all 12 years of his life) at the least little bit of excitement and he SHEDS like...its as if he replaces every strand of fur on his body every single day!

Good luck getting little ...what was his name? Squirt? He's too cute!! Let us know!!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #21
Starting Fresh

Scruffy is very cute! I say go for it! I could love him to pieces too!

techwife - thanks I think I need the luck. They have lots of people intrested in him and I am sure that I will be at the bottom of the list simply for the fact that they have to send him to Canada. I will keep my fingers crossed, but I think I should start looking for a dog closer to me. My dad has a boxer/lab or so we were told, he is HUGE like double the size we were told he would be! If he took up on his back legs he would probably be like 6 or 7 feet tall!

Old 06-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #22
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

sounds like they know what they are doing

i will be keeping my fingers crossed for you courtnie he is a cutie

Mini-Goal - 114kg by 31st June (4kg loss)
Old 06-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #23
Starting Fresh

Thanks Daisy I hope I know soon, I am going crazy!

Old 06-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #24
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
I want a small dog. I like bigger dogs more but a small dog will fit my lifestyle a little more cuz I want it to be able to sit on my lap and all that.
Get a Dachshund. I have two of them. Very personable little dogs and very protective.

But whatever dog you get, consider rescuing one from a shelter. Both of our dogs came from a Dachshund rescue organization.

Give the throwaways a second chance at life
Old 06-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #25

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

I have a Daschund ( I have had four all together over the years!) they are the best little dogs and they are so good with kids. They tend to buddy up with one person in the family but are still social with everyone. Very protective too they think they are HUGE DOGS! Very easy to potty train too!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #26
Starting Fresh

I found another little girl that looks like Squirt. Her name is Zoe and she is in LA. I have contacted them as well. At the moment I am in LOVE with the boston terrier mixes. I hope I can get one If not, I will try and find a puppy local. It is so hard to find a boston terrier mix around here, they are all PB and I woul love a little mixed puppy!

The Daschund makes me giggle everytime! You don't seem them around here much either. I have seen about a million Shih-tzu's tho.

Daisy you got any little guys down there in Australia that need a good home?

Old 06-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #27
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2fat2bpretty
I have a Daschund ( I have had four all together over the years!) they are the best little dogs and they are so good with kids. They tend to buddy up with one person in the family
Yes they do. Our 3-year-old and my husband are attached at the hip and our 7-year-old is *MY* little shadow. She won't go out for anyone but me, she won't take food from anyone but me, and she goes through serious separation anxiety when I'm not home. One time she got into my bedroom while we were gone and literally trashed the place. And if she doesn't get to sleep on her little bed beside my bed at night, she'll pee on the couch and everything else.

She's not happy when she can't be with mommy, lol. She's at my feet right now, in fact. When I get up from my computer and go to another part of the house, she'll come looking for me. She was used as a breeder dog before she was rescued and treated very badly. But I spoil her. So, yes, my Dachshund is a spoiled brat, haha.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:06 AM   #28
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Courtnie, I ended up looking at puppies late last night. And Im in love with about 6... most of them are in LA too...

BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED

FOR THEY ARE THE ONES

WHO LET IN THE LIGHT
Old 06-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #29
Starting Fresh

Angelia - what kind of puppies did you find? I am waiting to here about this guy in TX, I am postive I wont get him but I want to make sure before I fall in love with something else. I did call about one in LA but she was gone. If you use Angelia kijiji.ca they have puppies for sale (by breaders) in your area. I have seen some cute ones there, but I just don't know if I can trust the people sending me a puppy and me paying first. What is they dont send?

Old 06-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #30

Get a yorkshire terrier, they are the best dogs ever and they are small as well. I have had one and i am going to get another one as soon as i save up enough money. They are great. Let us know what you decide.
Closed Thread