General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmakeit
after so many years of domestication..they lost their ability to survive in the wild.(cats are wild animals too). but everyone survives and adapts with time!!! they should be left to live with thier fellow animals and not with us!
I'm just hugely amused by the idea of my fat, pampered housecat who loves laps, petting, sleeping under the covers and his food dish being HAPPIER living outside - hungry, cold, wet, in danger of cars, inclement weather, wild animals, parasites, poisons, cruel people, etc etc. I honestly don't think any amount of time would help my domesticated house cat survive and adapt. He would probably slowly starve to death, miserable, missing his beloved people. The best he could hope for is a quick death by car, poison or predator.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #32  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Okay, so, I think we all have enough common sense to know that domesticated animals should remain as such. I mean, no one in the world would be able to convince me that my sister's dog who jumps and wags his tail with excitement whenever someone arrives at the door, who actually growls in protection of babies, and who loves to stretch out on his back in front of a fire while having his belly rubbed and fur brushed would be happier outside scrounging for food, infested with fleas and ticks (and probably worse), just so he could be with his "fellow animals." All animals were "wild" at one point, but then, so were humans. So, by the same reasoning, should humans give up their homes and jobs and cars and go back to living in caves with hardly any clothing, hunting and gathering to remain alive? I mean, after all, then we would all be with our fellow humans and more as nature intended, rather than tortured and forced to live with indoor plumbing, heating and air conditioning, the ability to travel hundreds of miles in a short amount of time, and readily available food and shelter.

Another thing I can't stand, though, is when people have animals as pets that shouldn't be pets. I mean, at one point, domesticated animals were forced to be such, but by now, they wouldn't be able to survive in the wild, so we keep them as pets. However, people who try to keep things like komoto dragons, tigers, and other genuinely wild animals as pets really anger me. If the animals have at some point been abandoned or injured and have been rehabilitated, that's one thing, but these jerks who just go out and buy animals that should never have to be in a cage just for the selfish sake of having an exotic pet--ugh! And then most of the time, they don't know how to properly care for them or something happens and the animal injures someone, and the people blame the animal! Umm, hello, you're the one who tried to keep a 500-pound tiger in a 6-foot sqare chain link fence pen!

But anyway, climbing down from the soap box now...
Old 06-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmakeit
after so many years of domestication..they lost their ability to survive in the wild.(cats are wild animals too). but everyone survives and adapts with time!!! they should be left to live with thier fellow animals and not with us!
I'll remind you that this St. Bernard found me. Also, since his instincts led him to a domicile, would you recommend I had left him to destroy my duct work, plumbing, etc? Just curious if you think my wallet should pay the consequences for your ridiculous ideas also. I'm sure if it were YOUR wallet in jeopardy you would have done the same thing and not let a huge dog destroy your property but we'll never know that about you and that you're not just an instigator of debate, now will we?
Closed Thread