General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #16  
mom2cole

I would also suggest placing an ad in the paper. I know that where I live it is almost impossible to find reasonable child care and nobody wants to do it part time so my husband and I work opposite shifts. I work 6-2 he works 4pm to 12:30am. I was quoted $660/month for six hours a day of child care only. I have two kids and I won't even make the $1200/month at my job to pay for it. I work for peanuts, just so my kids don't have to go to child care. I am getting off topic here, but place and ad and check references and do a background check with police dept and also check DMV records if they will be driving. I would also suggest a 30 day trial run, if you don't like them you can let them go. Good luck!!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #17  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I would definitely go to an agency. They vet their employees, insure them and are all round more reliable. I'd never want somebody I chose randomly from an ad in the paper to be around my kids and in my home unsupervised. I think agency nannies may even charge less than you think but it would be worth it for the added security.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy
I would definitely go to an agency. They vet their employees, insure them and are all round more reliable. I'd never want somebody I chose randomly from an ad in the paper to be around my kids and in my home unsupervised. I think agency nannies may even charge less than you think but it would be worth it for the added security.
I agree that you wouldn't want to randomly choose someone out of the newspaper. But it is a safe alternative to an agency as long as you conduct proper interviews, background checks, and require several references and follow up on each of them.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #19  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Of course. That's just me being lazy again, I guess! But just another idea to toss in the pot, as well. I think people sometimes rule out agencies because they assume they will cost too much.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #20  

It really is frightening to leave your children under the care of a stranger.....thank goodness my husband and I juggled childcare ourselves to this point.

I am blessed as my mother has agreed to start the ball rolling the end of Aug.........I am going to pay her $500 per month for part time childcare plus housekeeping and meal prep. Some days (almost two weeks of every month my hubby will be home in the mornings) I will need her for after school rather than before school.

I am going to keep looking as I don't expect my mother to do it for the long haul. It is great to know that I don't have to worry about it right away and maybe I can bring someone in gradually that can work along with my mom for awhile.

I have appreciated all of your suggestions and insights.

L
Old 05-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 280/275/170

Height: 5'10"

Another option might be to co-op with a neighbor. If you have a neighbor that has children she could help you in the morning and then you could do some evening babysitting for her. I did something similar when my children were elementary school age. Good luck in your search.

Just make sure you do a lot of checking on backgrounds, you never can be sure no matter what experience the person may have.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #22  
mom2cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy_Tummy

Unfortunately there are no agencies in the area I live in. So this might not be an option for everyone. They are strangers too!!! So be careful what ever option you choose.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #23  

OH for sure.

Thanks

L
Closed Thread