General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #1  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 239/218/139

Height: 5'2.5"

Default The Bra Blues....

Hey Ladies-

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a good bra. I have such a hard time finding one. I need a really supportive one for my back. I need some lift too. I also like a round cup not one with the seam through the middle. I've been looking and they're either too pointy or one goes east and one goes west. I need a 42D. I was just going to wait and bra shop until I lost more weight but I need one for exercise too. I'd appreciate any feedback, which bra you like best, and where to get it.
Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #2  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

If you go to J.C. Pennys, Victoria Secrets or Lane Braynt, they will size you for the bra. I love Lane Braynt Bras. I hate paying an arm and half a leg for a bra, but these are worth it, and most of the time you buy the first one for $30 and get the second for half off. I can't seem to stay in the victoria secrets Bra's no matter what the size is. and I can honestly say I have never bought one at pennys but some of the other gals from work buy theirs there.

I hope this helps you, I know the feeling of the Bra Blues. and it is not fun. Best of Luck
Old 05-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #3  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I wear the Bali Live It Up Bra. I love it (it also minimizes! - I am a 40DD and I can fit into a 38C -- whoohoo!!!)

Here is the link for online -- I buy mine at Kohls but this place had a photo of it -- no you don't feel the underwire either -- I love this bra!

http://www.onehanesplace.com/webapp/...nbr=1607360611

Old 05-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I would normally go to Victoria's Secret. I don't recall the name of the bra, but it's seamless with underwire and it's a full coverage bra, so it actually holds you in, and there are also three snaps in the back (I don't like the ones with just two). I hate how with some bras you get little chunks that kind of stick out so that it looks like you have two little baby boobs in between the regular ones. They can properly size you at Victoria's so that you won't have that problem. I used to wear a 36 DD and so it was really hard finding a decent bra for under $40 anywhere I shopped; at least the VS bras last for a while.

It's funny that this was just posted today; my mom just called yesterday because my b-day is coming up and she wanted to know if a gift card from Victoria's Secret would be a good gift. I've lost a lot of weight from my chest and I don't have one bra that actually fits at the moment. It's sad to think that I have over $200 of bras that I can't really wear anymore. Oh well, it'll be nice to shop for a bra with just one letter instead of two.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am a 36 DD and stick to the "granny bras" the Cross your Hearts. I know they aren't sexy, but they hold me up really nice and look good under my clothes. I bought 2 Bali bras and they made me look saggy. I can't stand underwires. I started in a DD and after losing 81 lbs. I think my chest is finally getting smaller, they were the last to go. My hubby says this means that I've lost enough weight .LOL
Old 05-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #6  

I get my bras from Victoria Secret. I'm from Canada, and we don't have VS here, so I use it as an excuse to do some cross border shopping. We have La Senza, but I personally don't like their stuff. I find it cheap quality for the price thatyou pay.

I don't mind paying for a bra when I know that it's going to be good quality.

The one thing that I hate about any bra that i wear is that my stupid bra straps do not stay up... they are constantly sliding down my shoulders. Every bra that I have is like this... and from all different stores. Grrrr makes me so mad! Any suggestions.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #7  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I'm a recent convert to Victoria's Secret as well. I went there to find a bra to wear with a low back dress and the staff found me the best fitting bra I'd ever worn. I refused to wear my other bras again and have since gone back twice more to restock my supply.

A really good, well fitting bra is kind of magical. It makes all of your clothes look so much better. It's worth the investment. My girls have been through a lot going from a 44DDD to a 34D and a good bra is like an instant breast lift
Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #8  
Addicted to potato salad!

You guys are lucky you can shop at VS. I used to be able to when I was skinny, but I'm convinced the VS is for the under 135lbs set. Back when I was a 34B, they were great, but my cahungas never really favored the northern hemisphere of my body, if you know what I mean. So, then when I gained weight, I went up to a 40DD and they plunged even more south then when they were small. So....when I go to VS, I can hear my boobs laughing and evil laugh and then when I try a bra on, they practically rip the thing off and throw it to the ground. I need steel-belted radial bras to shut them up and make them behave.

So...I shop at Penney's and get the thickest, meanest looking things I can find. Like Helga from that comic strip. Although, I've been losing weight and I think I'm now a 38D...I need to go get a couple more bras. I caught my reflection the other day and they're getting droopy again. Darn things....

Anyhow...personally, I go to the old lady section of the bra department. My rule of thumb is that if it has lace, it's too friendly and froo-froo and won't keep the girls in line. I want wide straps, 3-4 hooks and FULL coverage. They ain't pretty anymore, anyway, so I don't want to show them off, I just want them to blend in and not try to escape. I don't want any extra pairs of boobs showing up on my back or under my armpits or my cleavage. Know what I mean?

Actually, wouldn't it be nice if we could just stand on our heads and have one of those vaccuum storage bags that will hold everythign in place, instead of a bra? We would all look just like Jane Russel!!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #9  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

I hate bras!! but that's just my opinion...lol I used to be a 40DD, I went to have breast reduction and am now a 38B-C depending on the bra. No matter which bra I wear my boobs go out a little towards the side...anyone know what i'm talking about??? It's like I have the Grand Canyon in my bra! If I get one that holds the girls together then I feel like I can't breath right..lol I wish I were a boy!! Life would be so much easier without bras!!

Jeanette
Old 05-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #10  
210 / 193 / 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds81
The one thing that I hate about any bra that i wear is that my stupid bra straps do not stay up... they are constantly sliding down my shoulders. Every bra that I have is like this... and from all different stores. Grrrr makes me so mad! Any suggestions.
Do you have narrow shoulders? That's my problem, and straps don't stay up on me either. I solve the problem by detaching the straps in back and sewing them back on closer to the center. Another option that works well when your dress or blouse has a very wide neckline is to sew a loop of ribbon into the dress shoulder for the strap to go through. The loop should have snaps or velcro so you can open it to slip around the strap.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #11  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

techwife, you're too funny with your descriptions.

Sadly, I'm with the "practically no-boobs" club...barely a B cup. I have trouble finding bras that are big enough in the band size without having massive cups that I cannot possibly fill. I get the bunchy-thing going on with even b cups. It's really embarrassing I know. After having lost some weight, I can finally buy some cheapy bras from WalMart, I'm talking $5.98 in a size XL (it's a stretchy cotton and spandex, and probably made for a teenager!) and they hold my little girls in just fine

rdhdgrl1, I have bought bras online from barenecessities.com, they have a huge selection of brands and sizes. You may find something there.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

I LOVE Lane Bryant bras. I can't fit into anything else in the store nowadays, but the girls are still a 38DD so it's pretty much the only place that I can buy pretty bras that fit and support. My personal favorite is their strapless/convertable bra. First strapless bra I've ever owned that stays in the same place whatever I do. I've been dancing and had no problems!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #13  

melekalikimaka, in your same boat!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #14  

Every women deserves to have a properly fitted bra. The department stores, Victoria's Secret, and some shops have a fitter that comes in periodically. The size you may think you need may have nothing to do with what is actually the best for you. These sessions are free. Make an appointment, even if you don't buy something, you'll know what to look for. I had been wearing a 38-B for years when actually I needed a 36-D.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #15  

JC Penneys has a wonderful line of minimizer bras that I am really happy with. Playtex was my brand of choice for years, but I think the Penneys bras are just about my favorite now.
Closed Thread