General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default sugar gliders, anyone?

Does anyone here have any experience with sugar gliders? My boyfriend's friend has one, and he absolutely fell in love with the little guy. He and I have done a bunch of research online as to what they require for care, how long they live, surroundings they prefer, etc. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever had one and could share any stories/advice. I'm also trying to find a reputable organization from which to adopt/purchase one nearby so they don't have to send the poor thing on a plane to get to us. Anyone??
Old 05-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #2  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

I have no experience with them but they are soooooooo cute!! I know...I know...that's no reason to get one...lol Good luck with this, i'm going to keep checking to see if maybe I could handle one.

Jeanette
Old 05-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcogs
I have no experience with them but they are soooooooo cute!! I know...I know...that's no reason to get one...lol
Umm, hello, would I get one if they were freakishly ugly?! SURE that's a reason to get one! Just have to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, as they can live 12-14 years, so just as long as a cat or dog.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

Jilly...of course I had to google it because I never heard of one. They are adorable...but I'm more of a conventional pet kinda person.

I did find this site for you...

http://www.skinhorse.net/gliders/
Old 05-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/289/160

umm, girlies...

what the heck is a sugar glider?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:24 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

haha, Oochie, they're these cute little marsupials that are kinda like flying squirrels but much cuter. They are nocturnal and sleep in little cloth pouches (in captivity, of course). They are considered exotic pets in most states but are actually illegal to own as pets in some states (California and Georgia at least, off the top of my head). A quick Google of "sugar glider" will yeild some really adorable pictures
Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/289/160

thanks for the info, when I saw "sugar glider" I thought we were going to talk about a donut...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #8  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oochie Goo
thanks for the info, when I saw "sugar glider" I thought we were going to talk about a donut...

Um, Me too! Just the mere mention of sugar on a diet site is going to attract some food imagry.................
Old 05-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I saw one in a petstore, but she wasn't for sale yet because they told us they had to be sold in pairs, and her companion hadn't arrived yet. Apparently they die before long if kept alone, at least that is what we were told.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:32 AM   #10  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Omg, there are so many interesting facts about these absolutely adorable critters, I wish I could have on.
Im guess as u have the same access to the web as myself you and/or he has seen the same stuff I have.
What I suggest if you havent already thought of it, or even have the option is to go to a pet store and get a book on 'caring for sugar gliders' or such, look which one has the most info etc, or even amazon or ebay?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:36 AM   #11  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

OoOoOo, and apparently they have a pleasant fruit smell as they eat alot of fruit, they are said to be alot like children, intelligent but given the option of sweets or food, they take the sweets
Old 05-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #12  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods
Apparently they die before long if kept alone, at least that is what we were told.
From my understanding, they are definitely social creatures that prefer to live in (at least) pairs. Some sources say that you may have just one, but if you do, you have to devote a minimum of 2-3 hours EVERY day to handling and interacting with it. We would likely get a pair, and preferably a same-sex pair. I've read a few personal experiences that when there is a male/female pair, the female tends to be more withdrawn. Either way, my gliders would be alterred--many places that adopt/sell them will have this done before you even receive the animals. I'll also look into the veterinarians in my area before adopting/purchasing one to be sure there is a Dr. who can handle gliders.

And sorry this isn't about donuts I thought of that when I created the post, but what else to title the post? "Small Australian marsupials kind of like flying squirrels, anyone?"
Closed Thread