General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #1  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Default Am I the odd one out?

I have read a LOT of information about weight loss and I have come to the conclusion that I kinda break the 'rules' at times.

The main one I can think of is that people say if you don't 'enjoy' exercise you won't stick with it. Well, I've been exercising regularly for more than two years now, which in my opinion is 'sticking with it'. For the last year I have been exercising twice a day almost every day of the year, which is 'sticking with it'. But I can't really say I ENJOY it. I just decided, from the very beginning of my journey that this 'wasn't an option'. I know that for me to lose weight I have to eat well AND exercise. No option! Full stop!

Because of this mind set, I have never really thought about whether I 'enjoy' exercise or not. I have just done it because I needed to. Along the way I have found some things I prefer to others. I have bought a treadmill, exercise bike, fitball, hand weights and home gym. I prefer the treadmill out of all of them and I am actually coming to REALLY enjoy jogging on the treadmill, which I never even thought I would be ABLE to do, let alone enjoy! I like walking outside with hubby, but we don't do that 'regularly'. I am looking at ordering a dance DVD, to add a bit of variety. But I don't know if I will 'enjoy' that.

Basically, I am just wondering whether it depends on your mind set over the whole weight loss 'thing'. I was morbidly obese and felt that my life depended on me losing this weight. Perhaps that is why I have not worried about 'enjoying' what I have been doing, but just DOING it.

Another 'rule' I break is that I don't have 'free' days from eating healthy, not even birthdays, Christmas etc. My body just doesn't LIKE that. Healthy eating is also just SO much a part of my everyday life now that I don't NEED to have treats like chocolate or candy. I just don't even really think about it. But I have read that if you don't allow yourself 'treats' you won't stick with it. I still have treats, but they are healthy treats like dried fruit, nuts, the occasional piece of licorice. I also have 97% fat free ice cream as one of my snacks, (a measured portion on the suggestion of my dietition friend) but have been thinking about taking that out as I don't think my body 'likes' it. I may just have to decide that ice cream is 'not an option' for me.

I am really just thinking out loud here, but wondered if anyone else has thought about this.

My theory is... "It's not an option. Just DO it!" "Nobody ever said it was going to be easy."... and I certainly never expected to "enjoy" it. But I certainly LOVE the results!!!!

Take care all,

Zelma
Old 04-21-2006, 01:43 AM   #2  
Determined

I really think this is a case of "to each his own." Nobody is just like anyone else, so of course different things work for all of us. I agree, you don't have to love exercise to do it. I like tae bo but I know if I do it everythday it's not going to keep helping me lose weight so I mix it with things that I like less. As much as I've heard that you should enjoy exercise I've also heard to just schedule it like you would anything else so it doesn't get left out. I'm not entirely sure yet about how I feel about having a day "off." Right now I'm doing a meal off but I don't feel good afterward so I'm thinking I'm going to cut that out. I can't say I'll never have birthday cake again, but I don't know that what you're doing isn't a good idea, and it's obviously working for you. I think your plan sounds good, and I admire how far you've come. Gives me hope that I can get there too!
Old 04-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #3  
Learning to love myself.

Thank you happydaisy.

I think I am just having a really bad "blah" day today. I'm not sure why. Well... I kinda do. My weight is up over 2lbs in the last week and I can't work out why. I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that it could just be TOM, but my system is still adjusting to me actually having 'cycles' so I'm not sure when that is due. I'll give it another week, then I will either talk to my dietitian friend or see a doctor. I've also been very tired lately. I'm on a two week break from school between our terms, so maybe it is just settling into holiday mode. I'm usually tired at the end of a school term.

I was mainly just kinda 'down' because I read about people 'enjoying' exercise, and I haven't really reached that stage yet. I thought I had, but this week has proven me wrong.

I also feel that life isn't really 'fair' at times because some people can have yummy treats and still lose weight, but I can't. My body just really doesn't like me to have that stuff. Maybe when I finally reach my target I will try some. This doesn't usually bother me either, which is why I'm REALLY hoping that TOM is due, or I need another explanation for being so moody and easily upset over these things that don't usually get me down. I've been really happy and contented with how I've done things up until now.

Oh well. I'll just go and chew on a piece of celery and dream of carrot cake! (my favourite)

Take care,

Zelma
Old 04-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 317/305/160

Height: 5'7"

Zelma! You are an inspiration - I just checked out your before and after pics. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself yesterday with over 150 pounds to lose. I was starting to think that it wasn't possible, then I saw your post. Thanks for being one of the trailblazers for those of us with a lot to lose.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #5  
Learning to love myself.

Thank you Lyndyn! I'm not sure you realise how much I needed to hear something like that at the moment. I am just heading off to bed and now I'll go to bed with the first smile on my face for the day I think.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 04-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #6  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

You've gone through so much and have learned a ton about what your body can and can't handle. It's a great thing to have accomplished. There are lucky people out there that can eat whatever. I'm not one of those people and neither are you (it sounds like.) Losing weight is a really hard thing to do. You've had to change your life. You had to change your habits. You had to change your mindset. Going through tough changes and hard times makes you a better person. It's also made you a great motivator and hero to those of us that struggle. Not everyone in this world has what it takes to make it through hard times like that. You should be extremely proud of yourself for all that you've accomplished. Maybe tack up a before picture of yourself on your mirror. Everytime you see it, let it remind you of how brave, devoted, and strong you are.

You are an amazing person. No matter what progress you are making at the current moment, you still have accomplished so much. I'm proud of you.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #7  

Sometimes I absolutely hate to exercise. Hate to admit it, but it's true. I do it because it's a health issue for me. Sometimes I sort of OK with exercise, and I do it because it makes me feel better. Mostly I like exercise, because I like to be active. I WISH I could control which type of feeling I'll have on any given day, or change it all into the third option (liking it). But I can't predict, and I can't control, so i just get out there and suck it up. Twice in five years I've gotten to the gym, then turned around in the parking lot and gone home without going in.

What I'm trying to say is that blah or even bad days happen to me all the time too. The key (and you know this already) is to just do the exercise despite how you feel.

You are an inspiration to people, keep up the awesome work.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #8  
Learning to love myself.

Thank you SO much Brandi and Boarderchick! I think I am gradually coming out of my 'funk'. Still no TOM, but I am forever hopeful that that is still the reason for my emotional rollercoaster and also for my weight gain, which is now close to 5lbs in a week and a half. I usually gain before TOM, but not THAT much! Mind you, I haven't been drinking anywhere near as much as I probably should, so maybe that makes a difference.

Thank you both for saying that I am an inspiration. That is honestly my major goal now (besides trying to maintain). I want to help other people achieve their own dreams and it is great to hear that I am getting there with that one.

Brandi - I hadn't really thought much about what I had been doing, I just DID it for the last two years or so. Reading your post kinda put things in a better perspective and perhaps I DO need to look at what I have done over those two years and see what a major achievement it has been. Because I have looked upon it all as "Not an option", I truly haven't consciously thought of it as 'hard', but perhaps it has been harder on me emotionally than I realised. Now that I am so close to the end, it could be messing with my head more than I expected. Thank you for giving me something to ponder.

Boarderchick - It is great to hear about other people who understand that exercise has to be done, whether we LIKE it or not. I have very much similar emotions about it as you. One day I'll love it (thankfully these are the more common I think), then another day I'll absolutely loathe even thinking about it. That is usually just the afternoon session. I am fine with the morning session because I am a morning person. I just wish I could get up earlier (I get up just after 5am as it is) to fit ALL my workouts in.

As you say, we just have to keep moving, no matter how we feel. Fitness is essential in this new lifestyle of mine, and I can't get fit without a bit of effort.

Thank you both very much!

Take care,

Zelma
Old 04-22-2006, 10:21 PM   #9  

I really like the exercise I get a natural high off of it, its monitoring what I eat and drink that irks me but it is a necessary evil, ouch!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedAus
I am really just thinking out loud here, but wondered if anyone else has thought about this.

My theory is... "It's not an option. Just DO it!" "Nobody ever said it was going to be easy."... and I certainly never expected to "enjoy" it. But I certainly LOVE the results!!!!
Zelma
Oh I could have written those words myself! I agree 100% -- I do NOT consider junk food or unhealthful foods a "treat" nor do I have "free days" from my healthful plan. I don't think of them as something to be desired. There are plenty of yummy things to eat which are healthful as well! Also I don't have anything I "can't" have if I truly want it... I am just choosing not to but would not be "down" on myself if I ate a piece of cake or something.

And if I only exercised when I felt like it or enjoyed it... yah right! There would be times when I did it... but certainly not on a disciplined schedule. There are a lot of days at work when things have been stressful or I am just feeling tired when I would love to go crash in my car during my lunch hour... but I haul my butt out the door and off for my long walk.

I do TRY to enjoy the process but LOL often have to remind myself of that and to be positive about it! But that does not mean I am always going to enjoy it LOL. Recently someone posted a quote "If you love the results learn to love the process." That is SO positive and what I am seeking to achieve!!!! So in one sense I DO enjoy it; just doesn't mean I always want to DO it LOL.

Zelma... you are a huge inspiration to all of us! So put that smile back onto your face you hear!
Old 04-23-2006, 01:18 AM   #11  
Determined

I'm glad you feel better. You have every right to be extremely proud of yourself. Hoping it was just a blah day for you and that you feel better now.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #12  
Determined

Zelma - this is totally ot, but I LOVE your zoo pics!! Especially the orangutan ones! Which zoo is that?
Closed Thread