Weird childhood snacks

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • So, living with five different people in the past year, i've noticed that we all have strange things that we snack on just because we did it when I was kids.

For me, my all time favorite nostilgic snack is some unheated, room temperature baked beans and a popsicle. Which i know sounds kinda gross, but there's nothing like sitting outside with a can of beans and a popsicle. One of my roommates love ketchup toast. We were talking and decided we were either psycho and disgusting, or everyone has a weird "childhood snack" that just makes them feel good dispite crazy looks.

What's yours?
  • Well, I don't actually eat this as an adult, but...toasted bread (homemade), buttered and sprinkled with a cinnamon-sugar mixture. At my grandmother's house, it was molasses instead of the cinnamon and sugar.
  • I don't think in my whole life I've ever met anyone else who liked room-temp unheated baked beans right out of the can! Sister!!!!!

Or, maybe it just never came up in conversation before...
  • I loved baloney and ketchup sandwiches until I was six. Then, for no reason i can thinkof, they made me want to barf. I still can't eat baloney. ketchup's okay though. Too bad it's not a veggie serving, lol!
  • Quote: I don't think in my whole life I've ever met anyone else who liked room-temp unheated baked beans right out of the can! Sister!!!!!

Or, maybe it just never came up in conversation before...

HECK YES! room-temp bean eater power!
  • I can't even believe I am going to tell anyone this but my sister and I used to take uncooked noodles and dip them in peanut butter. Oh goodness that just sounds gross. Hey off subject a bit but do any of you ever have taste tests with your siblings. I remember we would try to find the grossest things and you would have to taste them with your eyes shut and guess what they were. I am having a flashback to my childhood this is so weird. Anyway I hope my family is not the only weird one.
  • Once in a while, when the going gets rough, you have to heat up a can of Chef Boyardee mini-Ravioli.
  • I used to take white bread, smear it with butter and cover it in sugar and eat it as a sandwhich. Can't remember when the last time is that I had one, but those were good when i was in third grade!
  • Butter snadwiches??? Oh, my goodness, that made me remember another "wierd childhood snack" of mine. Mayonaise sandwiches! Had to be Hellman's on white bread (Miracle Whip just wouldn't do). And it had to be a folded-over sandwich (or 3), not a cut-in-half sandwich.

Mayo sandwiches and cold baked beans... wow... memories!
  • no way the best is peanut butter and brown sugar! That was the treat of the week!! also the folded over sandwich but for me it had to be miracle whip for the tang!! ummm umm goood!!!
  • Quote: I loved baloney and ketchup sandwiches until I was six. Then, for no reason i can thinkof, they made me want to barf. I still can't eat baloney. ketchup's okay though. Too bad it's not a veggie serving, lol!
    That's insane! I thought I was the only person who would mix baloney and ketchup! I loved those growing up... but I can't think of the last time I've had a slice of baloney!

Another sandwhich that I still love is a toasted peanut butter and sliced banana sandwhich! My boyfriend wants to puke everytime I eat it!
  • ~ I LOVED having toast with butter, cinnamon, and sugar on top. I still have it occasionally, but then I am only 18
    ~ Peanut butter and bananas, on bread or not.
    ~ Crackers with butter and honey (really yummy!)
    ~ Peanut butter on a spoon. I used to have that ALL the time. Can you see a theme here?
    ~ When I was younger, about 8 or so, my mom would buy Philadelphia cream cheese packets. Individual serving size. My brother and I would eat them plain!
    ~ Popcorn topped with ketchup. I tried having this again recently and I gagged. It was so slimey!

My mother tells stories of her childhood favorites:
    ~Potato chip sandwiches. Chips and ketchup on bread.
    ~ Ketchup sandwiches. Just ketchup on bread
    ~ Mashed potato sandwiches. Mashed potatoes and ketchup on bread.
    ~ Onion sandwiches. Onions and ketchup on bread.

My mother really loved her ketchup.
  • How about liver sausage (Braunschweiger) and pickle relish sandwiches? They are to die for, and I'll still eat one when I can (but try not to because of the high fat and sugar content of the sausage).
  • I'm another one for canned beans out of the can, although I haven't had it for a while...

When we ran out of cereal my dad used to break up bread in a bowl, sprinkle it with sugar and top with milk... He would do the same with saltine crackers... I've had it myself but only as a small kid...

Every single night, as a kid, my parents used to take the toaster out and have toast and molases before bed around 10PM... It wasn't till I was 16 or so that they broke this habit, when I would tell them you shouldn't eat before bed...

DH's father used to soak his toast in his bacon fat... .... no wonder the man died of a heart attack...
  • anyothername, i can't stand baked beans. but I can see eating regular beans and a popsicle. it'd have to be a red popsicle though. I don't know why, but beans and orange popsicles sounds nasty. what flavor did you eat?