3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Rolfing? (Help, I feel like Igor!) ;) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/77195-rolfing-help-i-feel-like-igor-%3B.html)

BerkshireGrl 02-24-2006 03:57 PM

Rolfing? (Help, I feel like Igor!) ;)

Has anyone here gone through Rolfing?

Some questions I have:

* Did it help you?
* What were your initial problems?
* Did they go away after Rolfing?
* Did you need follow-up appts. after the first 10 sessions?
* If so, how much later?
* How much was the cost - and did you think it was too much?
* Would you recommend it?

I am considering it since working office jobs for about 10 years, having a severe back spasm 7 years ago, and gradually noticing more and more pain in my back, right shoulder, and neck.

In the past, 1989-1993, I taught myself to type with mostly my right hand. I don't remember why I got into this style, but now it is ingrained at 60 wpm. I am guessing that is not helping me either ;) and that I need to relearn how to type properly.

Since I am a Graphic Artist, I type constantly during the day, and use a mouse. My mouse was recently corrected, in the last week, to be at the same level as my keyboard. For the past 7 years, it has been about 2 inches higher, on my desk, while the keyboard was on a pull-out shelf that was too small to hold the mouse. Because of my recent neck/shoulder pain, and chiropractic visits, my company fixed it (um, finally, heh!) by installing a larger pull-out tray.

I get numbness and weakness in my right hand, tremors rarely, and usually hold my right hand in my lap when I drive my standard car unless I am actively shifting.

Other imbalances I've noticed is that my feet point out, I stand with them out, and if I point them straight ahead, my knees lean in sharply and touch.

When I walk, I feel like my right leg is longer (a massage therapist commented on this) and that my right hip is over-rotating and I limp slightly.

Recent chiropractic x-rays show my hips are tilted (left higher than right), my shoulders are tilted (right higher then left), my neck is losing its curve and straightening (from my looking down too much on the job was the suggestion), and I was diagnosed with 'early degenerative disks' (ie compression) by a MD looking at the x-rays of my lower back.

I also have a lot of tension in my jaw, and grind my teeth. This started about a year before my 1999 back spasm. I wear a night guard now, but I do it so much that the night guard has cracked in the rear over my molars, and I am pushing teeth out of alignment.

In short, at the ripe old age of 34, I feel like I am middle-aged! ;) Exercise is not really a tempting prospect at this time because I feel twisted up and weak, but I'm open to suggestions :)

I have tried monthly massages, and 12 chiropractic sessions recently, and while I think they helped, I feel they only are touching the surface of the problems, if that makes sense.

If anyone benefited from Rolfing (or didn't!) or if you have any other helpful suggestions as to how to get my good body back.... I miss it! :) ... I would love to hear!

Thanks! :goodvibes

Suzanne 3FC 02-25-2006 10:17 AM

Oh my gosh! I read that as ROFLING. Rolling on the floor laughing -- What an interesting form of physical therapy!

I have nothing else to add :p

ellenuw 02-25-2006 03:19 PM

HAve you considered yoga? Help your body slowly and gently get back to proper form and alignment, and, oh yeah, it feels good during and after, too.

Misti in Seattle 02-25-2006 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
Oh my gosh! I read that as ROFLING. Rolling on the floor laughing -- What an interesting form of physical therapy!

I have nothing else to add :p

LOL that was what I read it as too. We probably are not the best ones to answer her questions, huh?

Dance

BerkshireGrl 02-25-2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
Oh my gosh! I read that as ROFLING. Rolling on the floor laughing -- What an interesting form of physical therapy! I have nothing else to add :p

You and Dance are both GOOFBALLS! :crazy:

:lol: S-I-G-H. Hehehehe! (and I'm sure you two are not alone.)

Perhaps I should give that a go though... Hmm!

And yoga, thank you :) I actually am going to stop by a few gyms Sunday and check out their class schedules, especially yoga and maybe pilates. I'm also leaning towards the YMCA with their nice huge pool. With my weirdness going on, being supported in the water and building muscle that way might be safer.. dunno.

Misti in Seattle 02-26-2006 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerkshireGrl
You and Dance are both GOOFBALLS! :crazy:

Yah we know. :) So you gonna tell us what rolfing is or do I have to go google it? :)

Dance

BerkshireGrl 02-26-2006 12:57 AM

Ralph? Ruff? Woof woof?

Rolfing from the people that brought you Rolf:

http://www.rolf.org

Brief blurb:
HOW DOES ROLFING WORK?
The original theory of how Rolfing works was derived from Dr. Ida Rolf's writings and educational trainings. In her view, the goal of Rolfing is to create balance and improve fascial relationships in all dimensions: front to back, side to side, inside to outside, most particularly inside to outside. Rolfing is a process that integrates all the body's myofascial layers, and muscular and other soft tissue structures encased and connected by the fascial network.

Rolfing aims to restore the body to a state of balance or homeostasis, and provide optimum functioning. Since the body is constantly in the process of self-correction to achieve homeostasis, Rolfing recognizes that an ideal state of balance, reduced stress and efficient functioning at all levels is desired.

Rolfing is a method that helps move the body more closely to this optimal state. A body which has received Rolfing effectively "holds" this more efficient orientation. One of the most obvious demonstrations of this process, is the higher level of tissue malleability and coherence in the client's tissues years after they have had their basic series work.

Basically, I've heard it can hurt like h*ll when working on deep tissue tension which can be held in the body for years (yikes) but that it also can work miracles with chronic problems.

Misti in Seattle 02-26-2006 09:33 AM

Thanks for the explanation... I think I still prefer the ROFLing and you gave me a dose of THAT... but whatever works. :)

Dance