New tortie kitty, Miss Speckles

• Our landlord agreed to let us have a cat, so we went to the humane society and picked out a mostly black tortoise shell cat. She has shadowy patches of tan orange sprinkled through her coat. She has no solid orange patches, though one eyebrow is tan, and she has a mixed black/tan/orange patch over the other eye.

She's so sweet, and seems to have been a pampered housepet (she was brought in as a stray but had a pink suede collar with a rhinestone heart ornament on the collar). She didn't understand dry food either, so we gave her a sample can of cat food the shelter sent. This morning David added a little hot broth to her dry food, and now she seems to understand that it is food (and even snuck some directly from the bag that we left out).

She follows us everywhere, and spent the whole night between us on the bed. David got up this morning, and the kitty meowed lowdly at my bedside until I got up too.

We call her Speck (and other silly names too, she seems to understand when we are talking to her, and will even come out from hiding when we call - though she doesn't hide much, she likes being really close to at least one of us at all times. I think she's afraid of losing us.

She's such an absolute sweetie.
  • I love cats!!!!

I love torties! Blue torties, black torties--give me them all!!

She sounds lovely--and just like a cat-child!

Congratulations!

(And I'm so proud of you for adopting!)