General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:12 PM   #1  

Default What OTC back rubs are good?

I used to use one my parents used but I kind of don't like the smell. I went to the store and got one called thera-gesic on the advice of a phramacy tech. I got back aches and neck aches sometimes after waking up so I need something that will help. Is there anything u guys use that isn't too expensive and that doesn't smell terrible or stain, and still works? I would use those back pads but only two for like 15 and it's too localized seems way too much money for me. Any input?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:09 PM   #2  
ugggg.....

Tiger Balm is good. It's not too expensive and doesn't smell to bad. You can get it at Walmart. Try a small amount at first because it does get warm.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 PM   #3  

Unfortuntely that is one I've used a very long time ago and for me it does nothing. Tiger Balm was used by some people I knew who it worked on but it for whatever reason didn't help my soreness. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #4  
ugggg.....

I have neck problems along with my knee problems. I use a heating pad some nights before I go to bed. Also on the nights my neck or my knee are really achy I take a powder called BeCalm. It seems to work better if I don't use it everynight and I get it at a local Health food store.
Have you been to a chiropractor or tried a massage?
I have done both--when I get out of alignment I go to the chiro, but sometimes a massage and the heating pas does the trick.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #5  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs up Biofreeze ROCKS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobetheman
I got back aches and neck aches sometimes after waking up so I need something that will help. Is there anything u guys use that isn't too expensive and that doesn't smell terrible or stain, and still works?
I've a new fan of this stuff called BIOFREEZE. I've been having some real muscle/neck problems, and I was given 2 free samples of this from a chiropractor I went to.

It's like Tiger Balm times 100! AMAZING! I don't know how much a bottle costs, but I put it on (it's a blue green gel, but vanishes into your skin), and went to bed, and I felt it really working for a loooong time. Really heats up the muscles, more than a massage, more than a heating pad.

Smells strongly of camphor (like Vicks Vaporub), but to me, it was a clean, bracing smell. You might sniff it first, see if you can stand it.

The sample I have left says on it:
-With Ilex
-Greaseless
-Stainless
-Vanishing Scent
-Cryotherapy
-The Cold Method

Active ingredient is Menthol, at 3.5%.

Says not to use with any other lotions/creams/gels, or with heating pads. And don't rub in your eyes, mucuous membranes, etc.

Made by Performance Health Inc. in Export, PA, USA.

Their Questions & Comments line:
1-800-246-3733 or 1-724-733-9500

Website is www.biofreeze.com - or if that gets stripped for some reason, Google the name.

I don't own stock in the company or anything... I was just blown away by how well it works!

Here is something off their website about getting it:

Q: Where can I buy Biofreeze?
A: The best place to purchase Biofreeze is through a licensed healthcare professional in your area. “Check local yellow pages”: Chiropractors, Podiatrists, Athletic Trainers, Occupational, Massage or Physical Therapists.

Q: Do I need a prescription to get Biofreeze?
A: No. You do not need a prescription, nor do you need to be a patient of the HCP in your area to purchase Biofreeze from them. Biofreeze is not a retail product and is not available through a pharmacy or any retail environment.

Q: Can you send me a sample of Biofreeze?
A: Of course, we would be glad to send you a sample packet for Biofreeze. Included will be a brochure on the product itself, “2” of the 5 gm trial packets for you to try and also an ordering form for future reference in case you ever find it difficult to locate the product in your area.

Also - you might want to look into, if you haven't, why you are having these problems. Sleeping on your stomach? Bad computer ergonomics? Poor lifting technique? Etc. For me, it was that my computer mouse at work is about 2" higher than my keyboard. Hard to believe how much this can mess you up after 8 hours! (and several years of 'sucking it up'!)
Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #6  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

There are these things I buy at CVS Pharmacy when I have aches and pains and I am trying hard to remember the name - but they are these big peel and stick squares, very inexpensive but very effective - they are near the Solonpas but that's not them. If I can think of the name I will post it for you- they work really great - better than any muscle rub I've ever used.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 PM   #7  
Getting back on track

I know it is some kind of plaster
Old 02-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #8  
Getting back on track

Oops - sorry just read the rest of your message - please disregard that!
Old 02-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #9  

I tried a on tv imitation of blue emu and the stuff was okay but really greesy and smelled like bubble gum. At first it was okay to smell and I felt better but the smell ended up giving me a tension headache or migrane or something, I took two tylenol and that went away. I think I'm gonna either get the miracle ice that i have used since my parents use it too. I only use these things maybe 3 times a year in all truth. Only when my soreness doesn't go away after more than a day and I wake up with it the next day too.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'll second the Biofreeze. I used to buy it through my Chiropractor up north. Haven't seen another chiro down here, so I ordered more through the website Sarah posted. It smells just like menthol. Rather than the burning sensation you get from the other stuff, this gives an icy feel. You can buy it in a gel, rub or spray. I like the spray so I can get it on my own backside. LOL But with the spray, it does give off the fumes in the room you spray it in, and can be overpowering for a moment. It's around $12 for a bottle or tube. You can't buy it in stores. But most chiros should have it, and you can order direct from their site.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

To add to this....both hubby and I prefer the Biofreeze to any others we've tried, which includes: Blue emu, Bengay, Aspracreme(sp?), et. al. We've been using it for about 3 years now. The gel rubs in without a greasy feel and kind of evaporates into your skin. He used to rub my back with it all the time just before bed and I didn't have any problem with it getting on the sheets.

The other bonus was that my cat didn't try licking it off the sheets like she did the Bengay. She had a taste for that stuff. ICK!
Closed Thread